Glacial gold away from creeks

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
I have been playing with the idea of hiking back in the woods and prospecting away from the creeks. I know the only way to find out if it will work is to try but has anybody got any tips on land formations to look for. There are no quartz veins around here its all glacial sculpted valleys.

My hypothesis is that while the creeks have the concentrated gold the original glacial flood banks may very well hold the biggest gold available in the area.

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look for some Bench Placers and ancient streambeds, as they can be worked as well.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Indiana and welcome to the net.
As stated above look for benches up and away from the creek.In the area you live it might not be real easy to find the benches as it might be where I live. Every thing may be overgrown and have top soil covering the gravel in the old river channel. What you want to look for is river washed rocks (rounded rocks) that don't seem to belong there. Or a area that looks like a narrow channel or depression in the gound that has rocks in the middle or up on the sides. Those old channels could hold some very nice gold both in quantity and size.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

Impala

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..... "Every thing may be overgrown and have top soil covering the gravel in the old river channel. What you want to look for is river washed rocks (rounded rocks) that don't seem to belong there. Or a area that looks like a narrow channel or depression in the gound that has rocks in the middle or up on the sides. Those old channels could hold some very nice gold both in quantity and size."
B H Prospector

Is this the kind of ground you're describing B H?
Impala

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 449

Impala

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I'm not sure but I think this creek has cut through from the plains and is near or at the base of a moraine. Note the higher ridge of about 65' on the left and the 10'-15' The creek base seems to be a gray clay just above bed rock (I think so far as I understand the maps). This region reads lowest for elevation in the area and the geo maps show what I think is an old creek bed. I'll keep checking for clues. Thanks again. Impala

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 293

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Go to a website at (www.mygoldpanning.com). Look for an article entitled "Ancient Riverbeds and Highbenches". Read the article, study the diagrams. There's also a good video on the subject. Watch that too. The ancient watercourses created by glacier runoff ARE NOT the present day creeks and streams in these pictures. Those ancient riverbeds and streambeds are below the surface now. in fact, they could even run perpendicular across the present day watercourse you are familiar with. What you propose is gonna take lots of detective work and lots of sweat. But you're hypothesis is right. These ancient riverbeds could contain massive amounts of gold. Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had this idea here in Ohio, there are clear glacially cut benches in the hillsides, but there is no concentration of sand or gravel there. I believe they were simply a high water mark, all the sand and gravel is with in 100ft elevation or so of present day streams.

Gravel pits have machinery that concentrate thousands of tons of material, as they crush, wash , and separate the sand and gravel. 100_0663.JPG

Here's some Ohio gold sniped from a gravel pit.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Right Maven. That's kind'a what i was trying to convey in my previous post. Locating an ancient riverbed can be quite a task for someone whose mind is stuck in the geologic present. I don't think the average person would believe for a moment they might find sediment from a riverbed up ontop a cliff 100 feet above an existing creek. But that just might be the case. I've found that elusive blue sediment in some pretty odd places.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been playing with the idea of hiking back in the woods and prospecting away from the creeks. I know the only way to find out if it will work is to try but has anybody got any tips on land formations to look for. There are no quartz veins around here its all glacial sculpted valleys.

My hypothesis is that while the creeks have the concentrated gold the original glacial flood banks may very well hold the biggest gold available in the area.

In case you haven't seen this, here is a good site with lots of info concerning glacial gold in Indiana...... CLICK HERE: Midwest Prospector
It's also where you can order the book "Midwest Gold Prospecting" If you prospect Indiana or any glacial gold deposits and do not have this book it's worth it to get a copy.

Impala

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Catfish I really get what you're saying, in both your responses. I'll scout the hill side with fresh eyes next time. I'll picking up the book too Goodguy, Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions