TNET NUGGET

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I headed out this morning with the intent to meet up with a Humblemelord and his freind Matt. We met up around 8 in the morning and after a walk we finaly got to a place we could set up a worksite.(not the one I intended to get to) the first buckets showed nuttin then the first few holes started beining nothing..And then it dawned on me we had it to easy if there was any gravel on this dam bar to be had it must be as far from the sluice boxes.. So we got grabbed our buckets and to a walk and low and behold the first hole we sampled out proved nice and we immediatly began hauling buckets.. we wern't able to run many buckets becouse of the distance but we will be back!!!oh yea I got a 1.3 gram nugget today!! walked out with 2g. total Humblemelord and Matt had some nice chunkies in both their sluices though I wont know their totals till tomorrow..
I would most likely never have found that nugget if I wouldn't have met up with them and I met them on this forum so low and behold my first TNET Nugget Hopefully not the last!!!

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nicely done video, too! Enjoyed the guitar music along with seeing the surroundings.

Congrats on your perseverance and finding the gold!

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done!! Nice smooth panning, not too fast. Great effect zooming into the pan as you look down.
Since I'm a long ways from gold country, I watch a lot of gold videos.
What I want to know is how did you walk over those cobbles carrying a camera and not fall and keep the camera smooth?

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great find!! Nothing better then finding alittle gold in the bottom of a pan, with a nice nugget!!! Congrats!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM - is that humblemelord the same who was in Arizona last week with Terry and Tim? That boy sure gets around!

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Nice find, way for karma to treat ya right!! What goes around comes around nugget..lol Looks like you all were working it hard and proper, no easy task takin gold from the ground. HH many more nuggets to ya!!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM,
Nicely done, video and prospecting. I smiled at the comment about walking over rough ground and keeping the camera steady as I'd thought the same thing, used some sort of steady cam and possibly had a camera with a good jiggle control.

From the looks of the hills I'd say you were below Pickering Bar, maybe not...............63bkpkr

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MM,
Nicely done, video and prospecting. I smiled at the comment about walking over rough ground and keeping the camera steady as I'd thought the same thing, used some sort of steady cam and possibly had a camera with a good jiggle control.

From the looks of the hills I'd say you were below Pickering Bar, maybe not...............63bkpkr

I think photography/vidioes and prospecting go hand in hand as we see some of the best places I am trying to be more conscience while making the vids and that area happens to be Yankee jims I am headed to Pickering bar with the intention of doining a 2 maybe 3 day trip from pickering bar to stevens or maybe mineral bar depends on the prospecting really but I have been wanting to unite the two trails for some time I cant wait

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've rafted 4 times from Euchre bar all the way down to the second bridge with a road that goes up to Colfax. I prefer to raft it at about 200 cfs though I know the kayak's do it at 1000's of cfs. Their blessed in the respect that most of the rocks are way under water but the water is cold, dangerous, fast and if you hit a rock or wall it could be quite a smack and getting out of the water could be tricky.

I've blazed trails myself in the area and as you know there will be plenty of P.O. and manzanita. Best of luck connecting the two trails.............63bkpkr

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've rafted 4 times from Euchre bar all the way down to the second bridge with a road that goes up to Colfax. I prefer to raft it at about 200 cfs though I know the kayak's do it at 1000's of cfs. Their blessed in the respect that most of the rocks are way under water but the water is cold, dangerous, fast and if you hit a rock or wall it could be quite a smack and getting out of the water could be tricky.

I've blazed trails myself in the area and as you know there will be plenty of P.O. and manzanita. Best of luck connecting the two trails.............63bkpkr

I really am looking forward to it I have read a lot of history of the area and am a advid reader of Russel Towells blog wich has inspired so many of my trips.. I plan on taking a swiftwater rescue course 750 bucks though so my brother and I have it planned for next jan god willing maybe sooner if the gold is mercifull.. I have not personally fell in the river in winter but have done some winter swimming and I know that most men don't even realize how quickly it saps the life out of you...

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, cold water is a killer all by itself! Just dunking your head into May water along the NFAR will give one a headache quite fast!! I've been in Green Valley in Early February, 1963, the river was milk chocolate brown, wall to wall, with very large pine trees floating Swiftly along and the water was roaring. I could hear boulders tumbling on the river bottom and I would never want to be in water like that!

One of 'the guys' from a group of friends thought he'd try Green Valley for the first day of trout season, he went by himself. What was left of his body was found a long ways down river late in the year, one slippery boulder is all it takes.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really am looking forward to it I have read a lot of history of the area and am a advid reader of Russel Towells blog wich has inspired so many of my trips.. I plan on taking a swiftwater rescue course 750 bucks though so my brother and I have it planned for next jan god willing maybe sooner if the gold is mercifull.. I have not personally fell in the river in winter but have done some winter swimming and I know that most men don't even realize how quickly it saps the life out of you...

When i was in the service,I did a six month stay back in 2004 at Camp Casey in South Korea,5/5 ADA ,2 I.D.(STAY WARRIOR HOOAH!!!) The entire brigade was out on a field exercise and i had the misfortune of slipping into a canal in dongducheon during field training,It was mid january and i can speak from experience,After the first 30 seconds in the water,Its like cement in your lungs when you try to take a breathe,The inablity to breathe combined with the bodys physical demand to swim in rapid water will all but drain you in a matter of 60 seconds or less.Winter temps and water do not mix,especially for a man alone on a wilderness trail as you are planning,Even with your rescue training(once finished) Above all things man,Keep it safe out there,I was just lucky to have this incident happen while with a squad of guys who would have dove in behind me had i not been able to get out myself. Do not take any unnecessary risks and always have a rescue plan shall you lose your raft in a roll over or become injured unexpectedly. You could consider a dollar store trac phone with a ten dollar airtime card added to it.Doesnt expire,Fairly cheap.Get a water Proof Bag and keep it in your pocket while on the water just in case... Be safe on your adventure and best of luck to you.Take plenty of pics for the rest of us back here on Tnet.

HH John

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When i was in the service,I did a six month stay back in 2004 at Camp Casey in South Korea,5/5 ADA ,2 I.D.(STAY WARRIOR HOOAH!!!) The entire brigade was out on a field exercise and i had the misfortune of slipping into a canal in dongducheon during field training,It was mid january and i can speak from experience,After the first 30 seconds in the water,Its like cement in your lungs when you try to take a breathe,The inablity to breathe combined with the bodys physical demand to swim in rapid water will all but drain you in a matter of 60 seconds or less.Winter temps and water do not mix,especially for a man alone on a wilderness trail as you are planning,Even with your rescue training(once finished) Above all things man,Keep it safe out there,I was just lucky to have this incident happen while with a squad of guys who would have dove in behind me had i not been able to get out myself. Do not take any unnecessary risks and always have a rescue plan shall you lose your raft in a roll over or become injured unexpectedly. You could consider a dollar store trac phone with a ten dollar airtime card added to it.Doesnt expire,Fairly cheap.Get a water Proof Bag and keep it in your pocket while on the water just in case... Be safe on your adventure and best of luck to you.Take plenty of pics for the rest of us back here on Tnet.

HH John
I thankyou for the advice I carry Spot GPS And pay for the extra services so my kin keeps up with me on google maps.. I am person of cautious nature and I intend on walking the stretch...Maybe one day I will be content to let the river have me but not for a many years and on only my terms..

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet finds--nice video--good music choice too. It's always great to see gold in the pan with a little water cutting over it.

All the best,

Lanny

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MadMarshall
You ain't so mad after all as you carry Spot with you! Have you ever needed to depress the 911 button? It will take the chopper about three hours to reach you and if you can get your beaten, lost body to a large clearing they will drop down and take you out. A note of caution here, find a large clearing as it is a good sized bird. Also, after sending a distress message leave your Spot turned on. (if it is on, they can ping it causing it to resend its location. even if you are unconscious it will still save you) Oh, and carrying a fairly good headlamp with a strobe unit built into it is a good idea. If it gets to be nightfall before they reach you, put the headlamp on something that is 5 to 6' off the ground, have the light on strobe and then pass out. It can be seen blinking for a long ways!..............63bkpkr

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MadMarshall
You ain't so mad after all as you carry Spot with you! Have you ever needed to depress the 911 button? It will take the chopper about three hours to reach you and if you can get your beaten, lost body to a large clearing they will drop down and take you out. A note of caution here, find a large clearing as it is a good sized bird. Also, after sending a distress message leave your Spot turned on. (if it is on, they can ping it causing it to resend its location. even if you are unconscious it will still save you) Oh, and carrying a fairly good headlamp with a strobe unit built into it is a good idea. If it gets to be nightfall before they reach you, put the headlamp on something that is 5 to 6' off the ground, have the light on strobe and then pass out. It can be seen blinking for a long ways!..............63bkpkr

Fortunatly all mishaps have been of a somewhat minor nature and I didnt have to press the rescue button nor could I afford too!!!! I have noticed little quircks in the device for instance often my check in locations appear close to a mile off from where I actually was but I am confident that it will serve it's true purpose if need arise.. I will not be making this till the end of March..I have some diggings I have been neglecting and all my camping equipment has been unattended for a week so I figure spend 3 or 4 days finishing up Richards Bar and then be off down Pickering bar trail... 63backpacker are you familiar with NF MF American river? Eldorado Creek? I have spent a few weeks in the area and was amazed by the history and remoteness.. I encountered my first Bear that was to close for comfort in the area..And after reading post from Gambolinman Gambolin' Man: BOGUS THUNDER: A Strenuous Exploration of Isolated and Pristine Canyon Country Deep in the Heart of the North Fork of the Middle Fork American River
I knew alot my time this year will be spent in the area.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a good read! I've been in on the NF MF off of Mosquito Ridge Road at the bridge out back of Foresthill but not down in the area of Eldorado Creek. The area pictured in the linguistic tale you embedded in your message looks similar though rougher than the lower section of the NF MF area I've been to. I would expect the roughness up higher in that area. I wonder if that big brown dog has a serious abscess in its chest, if so then I've met the dog and its owner once on the NFAR up river from the Beacroft Trail, nice dog.

The NF MF sounds like a great hike! Generally where I travel along the NFAR I do not see people for two weeks.

The one time I "Needed" to use the 911 button there was no charge for the helicopter fly by, I was in tall trees around the Walker Mine trail so they could not land. When the ground crew got to me that night @ 10:30 I was glad to see them though I was prepared to spend another night next to my small fire. Earlier in the evening I'd had a bear circle the hill I was on, it was turning over rocks and logs and making a bit of noise doing that. It does raise the hair on the back of ones neck but I carry a .454 so I was not 'that' worried. The ground crew hiked me out that night, spent the early morning in an Auburn motel across the street from Denny's and by 7 PM the next day I was hiking back in on the Sailor Flat trail. Got back to camp by ten as it was a long walk back up river where my camp and equipment was. I'd accidentally hiked out on a day climb but got snarlled up in a manzanita jungle near the top, spent the night out in the open with very little with me. I've added a little to my first aid kit since that trip....................63bkpkr

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, alan! Thank you so much for posting that link! Really opened my mind about prospecring mfar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread