Gained a lot of confidence in my sluice.

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
After running bucket after bucket I'm wondering to myself is the v rib matting in the front of my sluice the last resort to keep that gold? Well i finally see that those riffles do their job well. I noticed this big piece coming across the front matting and said sweet! Then it went a rolling on down and i lost my visual on it. I was thinking man i probably lost it. So i do a cleanup to see if those riffles are not just cool to watch, but they actually serve a function. I have done countless hours researching the hydrodynamics of the mighty sluice box and still makes me wonder sometimes lol. Well i get to panning out my cons and BOOM there it is! So now my confidence in the riffle system is all in. (it's the Hungarian style riffles btw) Hope this might help some new guys gain done trust in their equipment and vets think about some of their experiences.

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup! It's always nice to know that the equipment is working like it should. Just remember that like all equipment, it needs to be adjusted correctly to do it's work. I use a gold wheel and it's a finicky creature at times. A little too much water or off on the angle setting by a degree or two and I have to pan the tailings out to make sure I've gotten everything.

Still knowing that it does work is always a great feeling.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Outstanding Oldyoungtimer!

OP
OP
Oldyoungtimer

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
The top pile is what i found that day and bottom is what i already have. The piece i saw move into the riffles is there somewhere i swear lol. I'm getting more gold each time i go out. My experience and the weather is getting better every time i get on the creek. I have been working the inside gold path of this creek. It's only about a foot to bedrock here. I don't know if you can see it in the pic. It's the dark grey in the water. No nuggets or pickers yet. But i did use my tweezers once lol.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130324_120832.png
    ForumRunner_20130324_120832.png
    321.3 KB · Views: 147
  • ForumRunner_20130324_120901.png
    ForumRunner_20130324_120901.png
    404.3 KB · Views: 169
OP
OP
Oldyoungtimer

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Yup! It's always nice to know that the equipment is working like it should. Just remember that like all equipment, it needs to be adjusted correctly to do it's work. I use a gold wheel and it's a finicky creature at times. A little too much water or off on the angle setting by a degree or two and I have to pan the tailings out to make sure I've gotten everything.

Still knowing that it does work is always a great feeling.

I know what you mean with the set up of my sluice. One thing that I'm starting to see is the actual time of day where I'm at is affecting the water. I can get my sluice dialed I'm the morning and later in the afternoon the water level drops just a tad to disrupt my finely tuned set up. The current gets slower and all heck breaks loose, lol by that time I'm debating whether i should pack it in for the day or not. Due to the cold weather i usually just head to the house. Maybe this summer will be different... =)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oldyoungtimer,
The high and then lower water conditions are where a set of adjustable legs come in very handy, a few simple twists, maybe even a check with a bubble level and you are back in business. I do not want to know what you used the tweezers for..............63bkpkr

OP
OP
Oldyoungtimer

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Oldyoungtimer,
The high and then lower water conditions are where a set of adjustable legs come in very handy, a few simple twists, maybe even a check with a bubble level and you are back in business. I do not want to know what you used the tweezers for..............63bkpkr

I used the tweezers once to pick a big flake out of my v rib matting lol! Wasn't big enough to pick with my fingers lol. The legs are a good idea and sound like a good investment. I think i might make my own since it doesn't look like it takes an expert to fabricate. Thanks for the idea 63

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Oyt,
Nice color! Since it appears your bedrock is under water the next thing you need to either make or purchase is a hand suction pump to clean the bedrock cracks and crevices or a dredge but that is more cash layout. Aslso as 63 suggest is right on. I use legs on my sluice and they are great. I use a Keene A52 with the legs. Keep up the hunt you are doing great!

B H Prospector

OP
OP
Oldyoungtimer

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Hi Oyt,
Nice color! Since it appears your bedrock is under water the next thing you need to either make or purchase is a hand suction pump to clean the bedrock cracks and crevices or a dredge but that is more cash layout. Aslso as 63 suggest is right on. I use legs on my sluice and they are great. I use a Keene A52 with the legs. Keep up the hunt you are doing great!

B H Prospector

Thanks B H! I need a hand dredge, i made one before but it didn't turn out so well. Never got the suction i expected lol. I think my next investment will be a hand dredge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread