Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Some other important things i bring are a good pair of Gloves i use firm grip general purpose gloves carry a few pairs of those. I wear the finger tip out on them often. Also a pair of safety glasses are a must if you plan on using your pick. No one is to cool to not wear those. Even if they are just sunglasses to shield your eyes while rock chips are flying. Like some other smart men already said your body is the most important thing to take care of. Hope you have safe and happy travels! Thanks for taking time to read my other part as well.

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your body, mind, scrapers, pan, bucket, viewing glass, tweezers, dredge, scoops, hand dredge, shovels, pry bar, winch, the list could go on forever. It all depends on what methods you're planning on using. I would say they're all important but not all are necessary depending on what you're doing.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 - a great 4 whell truck that will give you no problems when off roading in the Cali gold fields . a gold bug pro , a pan and tools for digging , :icon_scratch:toss in any type of dry washer and your set for any dry desert area . plenty of food and drinks

Last edited:

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ALL of you guys are missing the most important thing... Mountain money or toilet paper as you flat landers call it. Invaluable out there...

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ALL of you guys are missing the most important thing... Mountain money or toilet paper as you flat landers call it. Invaluable out there...

Could always substitute that with a leaf. As long as you don't pick it off of a blackberry bush or poison oak bush!

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is no substitute for cushy soft charmin.... Leaves, grass, even with a quick wash in the creek just isnt the same. LOL

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most important tool is your healthy body as without it all of the above is absolutely useless. Followed by common sense in difficuly situations with the ability not to panic in dangerous situations. Then a pan as no matter what ya run,ya always end up with a pan in your hand man. Been thata way for 1,000s a years so learn from the wisdom of the ages and learn to pan EXPERTLY. As ifn' ya don't, it doesn't matter what ya run because you'll just throw it all back by lousy panning in the end-John
Those are true words John. From the beginning miner to the Company Mining Geologist, the pan is the finale step in finding gold.

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow all of you guys have great points and tons of experience that can valuable in many different points of view. Thanks for sharing it all will come in handy when time permits and the wife is busy doing other things!!! Thank you all keep them coming!! Good luck

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The very basics, assuming the living equipment and food is not considered then - gold pan, small crack scraper, medium size tuna fish can with both top and bottom cut out with 1/4" mesh hardware cloth pop riveted into one end as a classifier, small shovel, container for storing gold(whatever size you feel is appropriate- 35mm film can to 5 gallon bucket).............63bkpkr

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toilet paper? not an essential, Lipstick, Cell phone, Makeup & Tampons are all in that category
:occasion18:

Pan, Rock hammer or a hoe pick usually, some food or granola bars for an emergency and I always carry a water filter. Just the straw style works fine though the taste isn't the greatest. You need to have a clean water supply whether you have to carry it yourself or process it. I always have one with me along with a bottle to refill when needed.

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Toilet paper? not an essential, Lipstick, Cell phone, Makeup & Tampons are all in that category
:occasion18:

Pan, Rock hammer or a hoe pick usually, some food or granola bars for an emergency and I always carry a water filter. Just the straw style works fine though the taste isn't the greatest. You need to have a clean water supply whether you have to carry it yourself or process it. I always have one with me along with a bottle to refill when needed.

My very first trip out sent me scurrying back home for my #2 shovels.... Couldnt do anything without them...

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Bug Spray! I just tried to do a culvert today and they came at me like a swarm of bees!

Good thought Jeff. I have only been doing this since last October. So i have not dealt with many bugs yet. But some were going at me the other day when it was warmer. I thought dang i need to get bug spray out cuz it's only going to get worse.

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well everybody those are ALL great things to remember and use!! I've just improved my take along bag and essentials for when i head out on my next road trip. KEEP DIGGING HAPPY HUNTING!!!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sometimes you can find a plant with soft fuzzy leaves on it. It's not quite the same though haha

Leaves of 3, let them be...

leaves of three.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread