How do you rate 10 small flakes per shovel full?

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I've been looking for gold around boulders lately...getting skunked. I don't know, wouldn't you check these out?
017.jpg

I decided it was time to go to a "known gold location" to get my spirits up. I should say upfront, that my previous missions of scouting locations of "known gold" have all ended before they began. Every trail and road had a closed gate.

So the other day, soon as we get off the pavement, the sign says road closed 1 mile.:icon_scratch: Why? Let's find out. Sure enough..rock slide!

018.jpg 019.jpg

So, within that mile of range, I find this! A perfect little holding pool, sluiced by mother nature.
022.jpg

Only problem? It was cemented gravel. My first! Great! Nothing I had on me could budge anything free. Found myself wishing I had an M-80. I got nothing and got pretty wet doing it. Found a culvert...cool! Attacked by swarms of mosquitos inside culvert. Ran!

Last spot, a 2-3 site campground right off the road. I poke at a couple larger rocks and not getting much material. Then I see a culvert coming out of the mountain, below the road...pouring out about 3 feet off the ground. When I start moving towards it, I see a little water fall with large rocks around the base of it. This is loose and I get a full shovel full and clarify it. I discover the clarifier is too big for my bucket and switch to my largest pan. As I rinse out the pan, I see a couple small pieces. I'm encouraged again.:tongue3:

All told, about 10 very small (1/2 the size of a pinhead each). And where are the pics of those? Since this was my first time using a snuffer bottle, ...well, I learned a lot without having much to show for it.

SO! I hope they clear that road soon. What about you? Would you go back?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Chris & Kevin. Thanks for the input.
NPS= National Park Service?
LEO= ???
The Information Center in Crescent City CA gave me a "Redwood National and State Parks Visitor Guide". In it is a map with all the boundaries laid out. The Smith River National Recreation area (aka Six Rivers National Forest) is bordered by the Yurok Reservation, Redwood state parks and county parks. Not much room to work on the West side, plenty to the East though.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Chris. Thanks for the input.
NPS= National Park Service?
LEO= ???

LEO Law Enforcement Occifer

(as in "yes occifer ! how drunk you call me there ?)

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Guys, be careful or you'll confuse a lot of people and make things seem worse than they are. When I look at the smith river on google maps I see a state park and a national forest. Each of those could have different rules but neither is a National Park!

Sorry Kevin, I'm not trying to confuse anyone. Some people don't think of NPS Rangers as "real cops" they think they're more of a tree security guard or something. Folks need to realize the Rangers are Federal Law Enforcement Officers, and any citations or confiscations and you end up in Federal Court. I just want folks to be careful and not get their gear tied up in the Federal court system for months is all.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found the list of Do's & Don'ts given to me. It's titled Smith River Recreation Area General Rules for Recreational Gold Panning. The letterhead shows US Dept of Agriculture, Forest Service and Six River National Forest.
It reads as follows:

"1. Standard and traditional gold pans and panning methods are employed.
2. Activity is conducted in the bed of the stream, not the bank.
3. The activity cannot in any way alter the stream channel, nor undercut boulders nor result in creating any hazards.
4. Only the edge of the pan or a small single hand garden trowel or or other small single hand tools may be used to loosen bed gravels. Sluices and other mechanized equipment are prohibited.
5. Any holes created in the panning process are immediately backfilled when finished.
6. The material is for personal use and is not to be sold.
7. Panning activity is prohibited from October 1 through May 31 to prevent damage to fish spanning activities.
Revised April 2012"

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They are saying that you can't even use a shovel. Or sell any of the material. Common sense says that you can't haul off buckets of material to be sold, but a LEO could interpret that to say you can't sell the gold you find. Those are pretty restrictive restrictions. Sounds like a good place to bring the kids, and that is about it.

Quickpan Dan

Feb 2, 2013
I'm glad I started reading this thread, up till now I didn't know there were any restrictions in cal other than the no dredging law. Seems pretty ridiculous. I'm from the auburn area and now I'm wondering if there's any other rules for my area that I'm not aware of.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I spent several full days of research and found only more people and more layers of restrictions from the Feds. As far as BLM and the State of CA, we could easily work within those laws. It's people and organizations (that don't even live here and treasure it like we do) telling us what we can and can't do. It's sad.

As for me, if I am approached by a LEO I will have proof that what I'm doing is legal based upon my understanding of the laws. Then beg for forgiveness rather than ask permission if that doesn't work.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Knowing government the way I do, this comes as a surprise to some of you as very few of us have been approached by an LEO while prospecting AND this law was passed as an unfunded mandate. (read: DO IT! WITH WHAT?) The law gets critical acclaim, passed and then is assigned to the appropriate agency.... which is already strapped and struggling with a workload meant for more staff than they have. I think if we all behave, we will all get along...at least so far I do:icon_thumright:

Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good day,

The issue in "MY" mind is that when people (ie the general public with NO prospecting knowledge or experience) hear about prospecting or gold mining the absolute FIRST thing that comes to mind is.........GOLD RUSH ALASKA. Folks think that all prospectors are a bunch of knuckleheads who are tearing big holes in the earth, fluids leaking, really no idea what to do, but making a big mess in the process. Then the environmentalists capitalize on this nonsense and make all prospectors out to look like destructive fools. To the uneducated eye of course we look bad, because that's all they know about prospecting is what they see on "reality" shows on TV. Environmentalists don't want you to hear dredging actually improves fish habitat in certain areas, there's just too much money to be made for the environmentalists groups in fighting activities like dredging, heck even PANNING! This is why I push so hard to get new folks out prospecting. Folks need to see what it's really all about and unplug their kids from the internet, tv, etc. Get out, go camping and in the process find some gold and make family memories.

Chris

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I so agree Chris. Since my "fever" started with watching Gold Rush, my wife started watching. When I told her what I wanted to do, the first thing she said was "Oh no, not on my river". She's from here and she has seen the places trashed. It took me a month to show/convince her recreational prospecting could be done. The low impact environmentally friendly prospecting if you will. I felt awkward defending myself to her as I'm the first one to say you don't appreciate it till it's gone and leave it better than you found it.

BrutalBeck

Sep 14, 2012
Wiconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what is one of the most enjoyable aspects (for myself) about prospecting. Getting out, getting away from society and connecting with mother earth. The other is finding something worthwhile and telling the story. The most important thing about prospecting. Is being responsible the whole way through. Be clean, stay clean, recycle the process. From camp set-up to reclamation.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned this song when I was 14 years old'
I liked it better than "Mama told me not to come":goldpan:

Out In The Country

Whenever I need to leave it all behind
Or feel the need to get away
I find a quiet place, far from the human race
Out in the country

Before the breathin' air is gone
Before the sun is just a bright spot in the nighttime
Out where the rivers like to run
I stand alone and take back somethin' worth rememberin'

Whenever I feel them closing in on me
Or need a bit of room to move
When life becomes too fast, I find relief at last
Out in the country

Before the sun is just a bright spot in the nighttime...

I stand alone...
Three Dog Night:goldpan:

Last edited:

Georgiy

Greenie
Jun 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir I worked for the National Park Service for 7 years as a wildland firefighter and there is NO detecting, panning, drywashing, moving dirt or digging holes, etc. If you're caught with a metal detector or equipment expect to be fined and your equipment confiscated by the LEO. The NPS is no joke, they want to preserve everything so you no touchie!

I would personally steer clear of NPS property, even near the boundaries. Some LEO's don't really "know" where the park boundary is and if they think you in the park your stuff is gone and you'll be going to court to straighten it out. In the meantime your equipment is in evidence until you go to court. It's just not worth the hassle. Just some advice from a former "parkie"

Thanks, Chris

Federal law allows prospecting on Public Land. Several offices made their own "rules and regulatioins" about prospecting. Those "rules" violate Federal law and everything that is in violation has to be submitted to Federal Authorities. Public Land for People is the strongest organization here that protects people rights from those "offices". Become a member and if any ranger harass you regarding taking your detector or property - you call PLP. They have trained attorneys and know the laws. Usually, then ranger sees a t-shirt or a member's card, they realize they go against the Federal law and quickly retreat into bushes. Remember, you are the taxpayer, who pays for your land and freedom.

Georgiy

Greenie
Jun 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember guys - there is PLP - Public Land for People organization that protects our rights. It is against Federal Law to prohibit use of Public Land. Become PLP member and feel the freedom and protection. Rangers are afraid to see PLP card you would carry - because they don't want to mess with Federal attorneys.

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have panned in that exact same location society hole? Found a fair amount of fines i dug behind the rock closest to the river

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yuuup
a couple of monjths ago i was highbanking on my upper claim when DFG showed up, no problems

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water quality board permits,was $1,200 appx.,now god only knows. Dry into wet vs wet into dry and turbidity bs being rammed down in some places especially National Recreation areas-ie Whiskeytown nuttn' but a pan,spade(4" max) and permit. NO FANNING,TWEEZERS,PRY BARS,CREVICE TOOLS,MASK,SUCKERS,NUTTN' BLM Butte Creek Rec area also new tougher rules-posted awhile back under clearcreek post/maps/regs-such insanity. John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread