PROSPECTOR or BUM!!!

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I had another stupid kidney stone and had to come home yesterday to see the doctor to help the pain.. The worst pain ever!!!! Anyway I was out camping and prospecting in the middle of nowhere and a group of prospectors and I guess their freinds who were only interseted in shooting up the tree towards the trail.Why do all the Stupid people have GUNS??. I made camp at the bottom on the gold claim as the river was still to high to set up camp on my claim..Anyway they set up camp right next to mine and it was like a little tent city. They were for the most part freindly in person but it wasn't uncommon for me to hear rude remarks about how they were sharing their Campsite with a bum...I was on a club claim and my first time joining a club and goining to one of their properties.The only reason I joined was to have a backup for my claim if It was to difficult to get my camping stuff there and I would have a place to work untill I was able to move my camp..Anyway 3 days I had to tolerate that group and their rude coments and looks..

It is no lie that some months I live from pan to pan..And that after a few days in the woods and the water beining so cold making even bird baths miserable I suspect all men look worse for the wear..I expected this from maybe the casual hiker but not other prospectors and definitly other club members!!! They made me feel like crap,even though I am not a bum. To make it worse a few day later after they left the father of the club member came back about 2 days later to ask to see my membership card..And to ask me my intentions and how long I intended to be there ect ect ect.. It seemed his only purpose was to interrogate me!! THIS IS THE REASON WHY I DONT CARRY GUNS!!! I already had a hole dug!!But Since I made the commitment to turn the other cheek I was polite.. This is my first time on a club property and my first time in a club period and I HATE IT!!!!! I have never met prospectors like these before..I have met some mean men but of a different sort!! not men who are mean just becouse they like making jokes at people expense and commenting under ones breath...Anyway other then that all was well..I got on to some decent diggings after they left and hope to return in a few days once this stone passes.. Why is it I have yet to meet a BUM who likes to hurt people feeling and make them feel like crap..But My first time with a club I felt like crap pretty much the whole time!!! I know it depends on the people but if these are the type of people the clubs attract I fear I have no place in a club!! Maybe it was just bad luck..I will return and make plans to move my stuff to my claim as soon as possible as I want no more dealing with the club or its people or its properties for that matter!!!Anyway I was shocked to be treated so poorly by prospectors..

The club is of no importance so please do not ask wich club!!

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Marshal,
It is too bad you were treated so badly. I would get ahold of the club officers and let them know the type of members they are attracting and that you know longer wish to be a member and want your money back. I would also inform them that you will let it be known how they treat new members. I know the club near here would never tolerate such behavior.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont belong to club and never would join one but have had cross thier claim and work the same district, and ive had the same type expierencese, they have even told folks that my boys and i are bad dudes, we dont even carry guns!!
Some folks i fear dont care for gold tramps AKA ( folks who have givin up the good life to pursue a life of gold prospescting ) like we got it better than some guy getting a pay check every week.

those guys oughta try to put togethether an ounce of gold, beleive me they would stick with the real jobs I gaurantee that.

Get well Get Gold.

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm With Tramp on that one.. I put on no aires, and don't go armed unless I'm out over-nite (Black Bears), but i have NEVER been rude to a passerby or another camper.. Rule of the wild...you might just learn something,, or need them. Kick the Club..to the ever loving curb.. get your monies back and come join one of us pukes out in the wilds! PS I have 7 kiddos they drive anyone nuts...lol so i am used to keeping cool under camping pressure...lol

"Get well Get GOLD!" Gold Tramp 2013...

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Not much of a club, and not much a membership. Get your money back and move on. I have no problem with responsible use of firearms, but what you describe is not. You're probably too good to hanging with the likes of these arseholes.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with B.H. on this one Marshal. Contact the Club Officers and let them know EXACTLY what you think of their setup and demand your dues back. Robi and I just joined up with a club out here and they seem like the exact opposite of what you've run into. Guns are pretty much required out here for several reasons. First off we're right on the Mexican Border ( I'm talking stone throwing distance here) and there are drug runners in the area. Secondly there are Javilina everywhere out here and you don't want to go against them without firepower if they decide to attack. And of course there's the ever present rattlers. People here don't take their guns out of their holsters unless yhey are needed. We have target ranges if we want to pop some caps.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea That is sad you were prejudged and insulted by fellow members. They need to be reported if for no other reason to try to prevent that kind of abuse from happening to someone else. I'm in a new club and I was received like I was family. They where so mean to me, just kidding. They were very friendly and generous. I was able to visit the clubs outing before joining. I would still report any unfriendly members to the club leadership. My club is an old club here in California. The members I have meet so far are of the true miners code of brotherhood. I hope that it is not a rare thing. Don't let the bad spoil the good. There are good clubs.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more time i spend with people the more i like my dog

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I hatre to hear what happened to you...I'd not give up, if for no other reason then to make their lives miserable....and to think all you;d have to do to make them miserable is to be at a site, prospecting for gold, a right in which you paid GOOD MONEY to do...The same money they spent to be there!! Then of course you'd make them miserable by breathing the same air they breathe!!! At that something!!!! How can it be that you could make somebody miserable just by breathing the same air??? Well, it appears that is the case here. these people will never be happy SO DON'T LET IT BORTHER YOU !!!! I seen and read many of your posts on here and I consider you a PROSPECTING BROTHER!!!! GOOD LUCK AND KEEP GOING!!!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yuppie miners what next,nuttn' but pp envy as you walk the walk and all they get to do is talk the talk. You have much better control than I as I'd a told to go f themselves....no time or tolerance for stupidity...Mom and pop local yokel clubs cool,bign' carpetbaggers LL NO-John

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
Hey Mr. Marshall, IMHO, I don't know you but I've read your posts and watched many of your vids, you are a true prospector. You are a modern day prospector not a follow the fad kind of guy. Please don't let people like those get you down or second guess yourself.Keep going,keep finding the gold, keep enjoying life.
OBD

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can't judge a book by its cover anymore than a person by physical appearance, good luck out there and I wish you well....Rob

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bummer about the kidney stone.

Never, *EVER* join a gold prospecting / hobby club. Of the three I checked out as a guest, every single one was full of infantile "let's destroy all life forms we see out there" lunatics, most of whom brought pistols and long guns. The East Mojave club I checked out had members that started shooting at anything and everything in the early mornings (while it was still too dark to see anything) and wouldn't stop until after dark or they ran out of ammunition; some would work a dry washer with a pistol stuck in their pants waist band. Some worked claims the club did not own.

I loathe these clubs. They some times claim every meter of a township, locking out non-members, and the clubs seem to exist ONLY to collect dues.

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mad ...

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree in that family! [ ... and once it hits the ground ... it rots].

If you do quit the club, please tell them exactly why. This is absolutely ridiculous!

And if the offending family is on the board reading this ... father ... what kind of man heads out to meet up with a "bum" empty handed? Is it too much for you to bring a bag of burgers or a $5 pizza to someone camping out in the wilderness whom your children claimed was a "bum"? Father and sons -- all of the gold in the motherlode can not fix what is wrong with your family.

... climbing outta my soapbox racer now...

MadMarshall, congrats on taking the high road, that is never easy to do. Stay calm and rock on!

-- Katt.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS on kidney stones-MORE WATER . I had them ungodly thangs for almost 15 years 2-3 times a year(hospitalized twice with both blocked) till a GREAT doc gave me a graduated cylinder and a hydrometer to check urine density. When yellow chug water and especially cranberry juices in any form. Haven't had a stone in at least 20 years but I mark every tree I see 'purt near,but ANYTHANG to not go through that horrorific agony again-John

Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow MadMarshall,

You are a patient man and good on you for being the bigger person. I'm all about camping, prospecting, hiking, shooting, heck my wife and I love anything outdoors and like you said, before we had our toyhauler it was "bird baths" and "baby wipe" showers for a few days and people do look worse for wear! Now I'm kind of a "wander over and see what the problem is" kind of guy. If there were some yuppie tools giving me grief on a club claim whom I am a member, I would for sure walk over and see what the problem is. No guns, no fists, no attitude. Just walk over, introduce myself, say hi ask them if they come out often, how long have they been a member, etc. Basically I would ask questions and conduct a bit of investigative work for my own knowledge and see what their deal is (sometimes that will stop any issues, OR it will get worse, 9 times out of 10 it was simple confusion or a misunderstanding). The other possibility is the club is full of like minded people who just want a claim to go out and act a fool all weekend, shoot everything up, get drunk and leave a mess??? If so then this isn't my club, I'd let club officers know and tell them why I'm no longer an active member and move on. Or is the club full of true miners and these guys are the exception to the quality membership??? Also I'm all about shooting and having fun, but on a mining claim, with folks mining, eh that's a bit rude with other folks around (just my opinion, I would never do that, if I'm headed out mining, I'm mining. If you want to go shoot just do it away from folks and do it safely before you indulge in frosty adult beverages).

On a final note 90% of prospectors are GOOD folks and willing to help with anything they can. When my wife and I are out, we have an "open camp" if you will. If we see a person or group working out of a pick up in the summer heat all day, dirty and tired, we will go over and offer them a chair and a nice section of shade from our trailer awning, a cold drink, etc (heck our toyhauler even has an outside shower if someone wants to wash their hair or face real quick too!!!). If your battery is dead on your 12 volt drywasher, highbanker, etc come on over and plug it into our charger for a bit while my wife has the generator on making lunch or dinner. Same goes if we have a little fire going at night, all are welcome to come enjoy it with us. We enjoy meeting people, sharing stories, etc that's what it's about in MY mind. I'm sorry Marshall you had a bad experience, and as you know MOST prospectors aren't like that. Like momma always said, "treat people how you would want to be treated". It seems society has lost a lot of compassion for other people lately and that's very unfortunate.

Sorry for the long rant, but I hope it makes sense.
Chris

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. I have spent a few nights laying on the floor in a cold sweat while reciting the Lord's prayer hoping for some relief. I pass stones daily. Here is a folk remedy that actually works for passing stones. Consume lemon juice concentrate as much as you can stand. Try a couple full shot glasses for starters. Follow that with a shot glass of olive oil. Wait 30 minutes and start drinking water to flush the stones. If you cannot stand straight up lemon juice concentrate, then make a lemonade out of it, but do not dilute it too much with water. You need it to be concentrated to melt down the stones. Also a shot of Apple Cider Vinegar once a week would not hurt.

Prospectors work for a living. Bums beg for hand outs.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mad Marshall,looks like a prospector being imposed on by wanna bees to me.Your kind of tolerance is the kind that makes non butt hole folks want to see it pay off for you in time. Heres hoping you gotta drag your gold out before your done its so heavy!.When rich we can look like bums!(some day i,ll need to start first!)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread