What kind of prospector are you?

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Me I think I am mainly a pocket hunter..I love hard packed gravel! I never used a dredge or a highbanker everything I have done so far is man power. my brother on the other hand, hardly ever touches gravel he spends most of his time looking for hairline fractures and cracks..I prefer to average my gold daily so to speak where my brother is looking for a nice crack to pay for his day..I will admitt he has had some awesome cracks but on the other hand I rarely get skunked where sometimes it can be days before he turns up sumtin of worth..The first vid is of an Island bar that I have done well in over the last years the second is of my brothers kind of prospecting.. I was just curious on what kind of prospecting you all engage in?

Upvote 0

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Im a full time profesional hardrock pocket hunter, i prospect the hills of the desert looking gossins to dig, my actuall take wont be realized for a few more years, as i have to build a pile ( tonnage) so i only
see gold from my samples, the rest is in a pile of rock, good Lord willing i live long enough to see it milled.

View attachment 782317

Last edited:

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HArd Rock Miner, with an affinity for making my ever-loving back feel better in finding a way to get the gold faster better quicker smarter! (Taken from 7 years at InteL! lol hard to get out of your head.)

my mountain.jpg

soupfreak

Mar 22, 2012
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My preference is dry creeks and other areas of the Mojave. Enjoy using my drywasher whenever I can. I'm still learning so I hope to hook up with a club in a few weeks.

I like working creeks around the Cajon Pass and Lytle creek area as well, as long as "the man" keeps his hands off of my sluice!

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
<====<<< Is a "Wash Walker" I hunt in dry washes currently. I used to be a "Bench Bouncer" where i worked benches that had been pushed up thanks to Mother Nature.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I enjoy exploring and prospecting around the edges of known areas. I've found some great little spots to sluice that way :)

Last edited:

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what I feel like doing that day. Sluicing, Sniping, or Detecting. Sometimes I end up spending all my time scouting around and exploring and only run a few pans of material.

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have to say I'm partial to tree roots and moss. Haven't sluiced yet though - so that may change once I get my bazooka in the water. I know I definitely have to process more dirt though.

AlwaysBusyJ

Feb 9, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer quick trips with a pan, shovel, and a couple buckets. I will pan anything I can get my hands on, I've even grabbed some nice looking gravel out of a parking lot and did a quick pan before going into the store! I enjoy getting out to see new areas and finding gold is the excuse I use to hike out into nature and enjoy the outdoors. I live in an apartment so I don't have much room for prospecting gear, and I'm too busy at work to get out to the river for more than a few hours every week or so. But even still, I find color in my pan more often than not and it still makes me smile every time I do. I literally won't leave home unless there is a pan and shovel in my trunk, I'm always looking for gold!

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I haven't done Hard Rock. but most other types I have. I have a small mining company in my garage and look for any chance to get out and find some gold. Back From Heaton Flats 5.JPG

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day,week,months or years. Detect,highbank,dredge,sluice,trommels,tractors,drywashers or pan. I's allllllllllllllllllllllll good man as gold, gems,mineral specimens,relics,old cabins and mines keep the pocket full and the mind reeling as the tenacity of miners were absolutely rock steel hard to have survuved and thrived under such ungodly conditions. Anythang that gets ya outta the city and into mother natures neighborhood is good---:hello2: ...John

Quickpan Dan

Feb 2, 2013
I haven't decided which I like better. Every time I went digging in bars I would see nice cracks. And every time I brought chisels and sledges I would want to dig. Bring tools for all conditions. Just bring pack children lol

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beach and water here I'm all about tourist gold!!!! I will do some relic hunting on occasion but I donate most of that to the museum now if it's significant to the local history.

Weldin It

Apr 14, 2013
Johnson City, Tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Still very new to it so I dig and pan mostly. I look for spots where the water slows down. I also look for gravel bars. Learning by experience so far.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't decided which I like better. Every time I went digging in bars I would see nice cracks. And every time I brought chisels and sledges I would want to dig. Bring tools for all conditions. Just bring pack children lol

i dont know if your are talking about my crew, lol pack children, have you seen the work those young MEN do!!!!!
lol thats what the club folks do to us, what we do is no laughing matter we take our quest for gold very serious.

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
I'm still wet behind the ears. I pan and run my sluice guess you could say a placer miner. I have done some metal detecting but I LOVE digging that material right above that bed rock! If I can get to it lol. Would love to run a dredge someday. Anyone in GA need help running their dredge?

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
Still very new to it so I dig and pan mostly. I look for spots where the water slows down. I also look for gravel bars. Learning by experience so far.
I'd branch off and do what Mad Marshalls brother is doing. Hit the cracks and crevices. you would be surprised on what you find in a cup of dirt out of a good crevice.

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Washes & roadway cuts.

I live in an area that has a history of gold production; with suburban sprawl on top. One poster here gave a link to maps where gold has been found. Wouldn't you know it, I zoomed in on one near my house only to see a Kindercare built on top .... move over kiddies, my turn in the sand box.

Some of the dry creek beds here have concrete walls sunk in, to prevent erosion, me thinks. Just noticed a couple of months ago; I need to get out and get busy!

But, I am always at work.

Have a club membership, but have not been out to the claims yet.

So, local opportunities is what I prospect; the dry creeks, washes, and the 20-30 ft deep road cuts out in the canyons.

Great thread idea, MadMarshall!

wa-au-nut

Dec 1, 2012
Marysville,Wa.
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a wannna be prospector with a body that won't let me do much. Envy the younger guys the can get into the back country like I used to be able to get to. But my heath went south about the time I started getting into prospecting. Now if it ain't close to the truck I can't make it. Have to get people to bring the dirt to me.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am unlimited in my quest for gold, pretty much do every kind of prospecting there is, still learning and loving all the different ways of recovering that precious mineral!

My favorite is dredging, hard to beat the calm and serenity of underwater prospecting, even though it's easier on the back than being on the working end of a pick and shovel I still like to do my share of hiking, climbing and digging.

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread