Solo trips

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone on here ever go on camping/mining trips alone? I've got a place where I'd like to stay a few days and dredge but I'm not so sure I want to alone. On the other side of things I don't want to share this location with other people.. Haha. Any advice on solo mining/camping excursions?

Upvote 0

goldchaser3

Jun 21, 2010
Now that you guys introduced me to PLB devices, I've done some quick research and now I'm looking at a couple devices by ACR - the ResQLink and the SARLink. Both of these allow you to send out non-emergency "I'm OK" texts to up to 5 devices, along with your GPS coordinates. Pretty cool. I had no idea these devices were available until today. Thanks!

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I know most people will have issues going out alone and especially at night. I was pretty much the same way until I joined the Army and then pretty much most of our training and missions were done at night, even during peace time in the early-mid 1990's. I ended up getting used to it but if someone isn't used to it, your senses pretty much take over, the adrenaline kicks in, and you hear every little noise and your eyes are wide open so you can hopefully see your surroundings.

It takes a little getting used to, but also with todays times, you got meth labs in the remote forest mountains, you got possible criminals, drug dealers/gun runners, depending on which part of the country you are in.

Fact is I have no problems going anywhere alone, day or night but you can certainly bet I carry a semi auto pistol, with 4 full mags and a full box of ammo, and also a 6inch blade knife and a machette, (both of which I keep sharp enough to shave with!), if I am planning on going out to a remote location all alone.

If anyone plans on going out alone in any area whether it be their first time or experienced. Better make sure you have supplies for any senerio. I always carry a 9 volt battery and some 0000 steel wool and a can of WD-40 of I need to start a fire. This is just 2 main items I bring with the rest of my supplies. The 9 volt battery with 0000 steel wool, tear of a piece of wool, make contact with the 9 volt battery, once red, put it in some kindlings and get a fire started. The can of WD-40, (of course you have to be REAL CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE), this is in case you get caught in a rain or thunderstorm and have wet wood, but no fire!

Get your wet wood piled up, with some wet kindling, spray the WD-40 at the bottom of the wood and kindlings, light the spray with a lighter and flame the wood. The wood will eventually catch, (usually using about 1/4 of the can just depends on how wet the wood is), and once it gets going it will dry out the wood and you still have a fire going. Did this several times and at our gold prospecting outing. It rained like a dickens and the club president was trying to get a fire started for about 30 minutes before I came along, even using gasloine and couldn't get it going because the wood was too soaked with water. I got the WD-40, lit the spray, sprayed the flame spray at the bottom of the wood, it disipitated the water out of the wood causing it to burn. 5 minutes later we had a good fire going!

But besides that, always before you go out into the wilderness, get maps of the area if you can, look at google earth before you leave so at least you know what is around, water source, population, etc. But mainly research your surroundings on what type of wild animals and preditors are around and ALWAYS bring a first aid kit! Many people will never think of bringing one, and don't leave it in the veihicle while you wonder off!

Last edited:

Desertman50

Dec 15, 2011
AZ Desert
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone on here ever go on camping/mining trips alone? I've got a place where I'd like to stay a few days and dredge but I'm not so sure I want to alone. On the other side of things I don't want to share this location with other people.. Haha. Any advice on solo mining/camping excursions?

I have camped / mined solo in the White Mountains (Gold Basin) and as long as you make a list and check it twice (including some sort of firearm, just in case), it's a great opportunity! Always bring more firewood than you think you'll need! If weather doesn't suck, it's a big-time stress reducer spending time in the wilderness. Even moreso when you bring home a nice quantity of gold!

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I know most people will have issues going out alone and especially at night. I was pretty much the same way until I joined the Army and then pretty much most of our training and missions were done at night, even during peace time in the early-mid 1990's. I ended up getting used to it but if someone isn't used to it, your senses pretty much take over, the adrenaline kicks in, and you hear every little noise and your eyes are wide open so you can hopefully see your surroundings.

It takes a little getting used to, but also with todays times, you got meth labs in the remote forest mountains, you got possible criminals, drug dealers/gun runners, depending on which part of the country you are in.

Fact is I have no problems going anywhere alone, day or night but you can certainly bet I carry a semi auto pistol, with 4 full mags and a full box of ammo, and also a 6inch blade knife and a machette, (both of which I keep sharp enough to shave with!), if I am planning on going out to a remote location all alone.

If anyone plans on going out alone in any area whether it be their first time or experienced. Better make sure you have supplies for any senerio. I always carry a 9 volt battery and some 0000 steel wool and a can of WD-40 of I need to start a fire. This is just 2 main items I bring with the rest of my supplies. The 9 volt battery with 0000 steel wool, tear of a piece of wool, make contact with the 9 volt battery, once red, put it in some kindlings and get a fire started. The can of WD-40, (of course you have to be REAL CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE), this is in case you get caught in a rain or thundersorm and have wet wood, but no fire!

Get your wet wood piled up, with some wet kindling, spray the WD-40 at the bottom of the wood and kindlings, light the spray with a lighter and flame the wood. The wood will eventually catch, (usually using about 1/4 of the can just depends on how wet the wood is), and once it gets going it will dry out the wood and you still have a fire going. Did this several times and at our gold prospecting outing. It rained like a dickens and the club president was trying to get a fire started for about 30 minutes before I came along, even using gasloine and couldn't get it going because the wood was too soaked with water. I got the WD-40, lit the spray, sprayed the flame spray at the bottom of the wood, it disipitated the water out of the wood causing it to burn. 5 minutes later we had a good fire going!

But besides that, always before you go out into the wilderness, get maps of the area if you can, look at google earth before you leave so at least you know what is around, water source, population, etc. But mainly research your surroundings on what type of wild animals and preditors are around and ALWAYS bring a first aid kit! Many people will never think of bringing one, and don't leave it in the veihicle while you wonder off!

That's prepared. I prep very much the same way, the basics, fire, water, protection, and food. Know and trust your abilities, and keep them sharp by going solo for a few days every once in a while. I find it a cleansing experience. My last dog, Scully, a fully trained GSP hunting dog, and was a powerful asset to have in the wild. I'll never be able to replace her but I will train a new dog. I loved the way she would warn me of possible threats without alerting the threat. No open barking unless a conflict started. As a Scout leader I passed on much of my training to both the Scouts and there Dads. My training came from my Grandfather who was a dyed the wool good old country boy from rural Oklahoma. Can you catch a trout in a stream with your hand in the water?
He taught me that. His Indian friend taught him. We need to always try to pass on our skill and wisdom to the next generation. My son has started to understand that and has started to ask me to teach him more, now that he is an adult. I think this thread has been a very good way to get better conditioned to be able to improve our survival skills. I have learned things I can add to my skills. We are never to old to learn, and never to young to teach.:goldpan:
I think I would like having one of the these.
http://www.acrartex.com/product-wizard/?q5915=5917%2C5921%2C5922%2C5924&q5925=5929&q5931=5936&q5938=5939&m=5875&q=0&q5893=5895&submit=Finish

Last edited:

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
Don't know if anybody has seen it but there is a small wood stove only couple pounds that also has a small power supply on side as you burn wood it produces power to charge small things up very cool

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
Another good little trick for cheap fire starters take toilet paper holders fill them with lint from dryer store them in lip lock bag works great

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention. I know technology is great and everything, I really never liked GPS's, they either give you the wrong route, and if the batteries run out or if it breaks what do you have left?

I know at times they can be beneficial but I prefer a compass and that is something I forgot to mention I bring ALL the time as well! I shoot an azmuth at my starting point in a direction I want to go. One constant reminder, you have to pay attention to your compass and shoot an azmuth every 50-100 meters and write down your azmuths and meter distance each time.

People wonder why other people, or even people who survived. Why did they get lost? How come they never found their way back? Why where they just almost exhausted past dehydration or deceased and eventually found?

The answer is most likely not only were they not prepared, they probably just walked without a compass and or GPS and just started walking even though some make have taken the same route over and over times before.

If they had a GPS, how did they STILL get lost? Did the batteries die? Did they not program their starting point and just started walking?

I would be curious as to know how many hikers and such went out into the wilderness that got lost or died that had a GPS and or Compass and what was their demise on their situation ending up like it did?

People need to realize that no matter where you go WATER is esential to survival LEARN ALL ASPECTS OF COLLECTING IT IN EVERY ENVIRONMENT, people can live a little longer without food in a time frame, but you lose the water and your time ends a lot quicker!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread