NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't buy anything on computer anymore my cards on lockdown beside I take joy in making own equipment

Weldin It

Apr 14, 2013
Johnson City, Tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I have heard about cutting the bottom (about 2 " up from the bottom and then the floor) off a 5 gal. bucket and get some 1/4" wire mesh from a place like Home depot or a farming supply. I think around the fencing sections is where the stuff is at. Cut the mesh a little large than the circle of the bottom of the bucket. Lay it flat and take a Mapp gas torch to heat the wire and quickly set the bucket bottom on it to melt the wire into it.

I also got a garden sifter thats about an inch bigger than a bucket at our local farm supply. It was 1/4" in mesh I think.

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my homemade classifier for chasing placer gold. I use it as a 1/2" classifier although the holes are a bit smaller than that. This one works great, but I have had problems with smaller holes, I do believe in the 1/4" or 1/8" wire mesh is hard to beat.

Attachments

• image-1646174882.jpg
    image-1646174882.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,087
OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my homemade classifier for chasing placer gold. I use it as a 1/2" classifier although the holes are a bit smaller than that. This one works great, but I have had problems with smaller holes, I do believe in the 1/4" or 1/8" wire mesh is hard to beat.

That's cool but I'm talking about ones on gold fever when Tom and Kal went to Montana to look for sapphires I've used something similar when hunting shark teeth

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used PVC....
(1) 10' X 1" PVC = $4.00
(4) 1" PVC Elbows = $2.00
(40) Plastic Tie Band = $3.00
(1) 3' X 4' 1/4" hardware cloth = $15.00/roll (plenty left over for next project)

Cut your PVC pipe. (2) 2' long and (2) 4' long, or choose or your own dimension.
Connect PVC using PVC elbows to create a rectangular shape, or square if you like.
Cut hardware cloth to the dimension of your PVC frame. Make sure to leave at least 1/2" extra on each side of the mesh.
Now just tie band the mesh to the PVC frame. The more tie bands the better.
I added handles to my PVC frame for easier handling.
I've loaded this down with at least 50 pounds of dirt and rocks with no problems.
Lightweight, durable and it works! Cost $25.00.
I have my dimensions so it sits perfectly on top of my wheelbarrow.

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used PVC....
(1) 10' X 1" PVC = $4.00
(4) 1" PVC Elbows = $2.00
(40) Plastic Tie Band = $3.00
(1) 3' X 4' 1/4" hardware cloth = $15.00/roll (plenty left over for next project)

Cut your PVC pipe. (2) 2' long and (2) 4' long, or choose or your own dimension.
Connect PVC using PVC elbows to create a rectangular shape, or square if you like.
Cut hardware cloth to the dimension of your PVC frame. Make sure to leave at least 1/2" extra on each side of the mesh.
Now just tie band the mesh to the PVC frame. The more tie bands the better.
I added handles to my PVC frame for easier handling.
I've loaded this down with at least 50 pounds of dirt and rocks with no problems.
Lightweight, durable and it works! Cost $25.00.
I have my dimensions so it sits perfectly on top of my wheelbarrow.

Very cool

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made mine from 2 inch pressure treated frame, 12 in.x24in. I used 1/2in. and 1/4 in. hardware screen that was attached with staples, and them a wooden trim strip nailed over to secure everything. So-far they have proven very sturdy.

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But how well are they for gemstone hunting?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread