A NEW GOLD BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY?

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to me like there might be a niche market out there for dealing in quartz/gold specimens. If a budding entrepenure type can
get the finders to provide provenance, and submitting to Sothebeys etc, there must be rich one-percenters, rap stars, celebreties,
willing to pay top dollar for a unique "conversation piece" similar to autographed baseballs and such. I've heard both sides, some
saying you can't get what these specimen's are worth. Others say they are worth two-three times spot value. Which is it? Bottom
line, the gold history books are filled with accounts of unique gold/quartz finds that were crushed and what a shame it was. So, what
do you think?

Upvote 0

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think the location matters a lot because the Aussies pull out lots of gold in the matrix and it would have to be cool piece, but if you had a nice size proven California piece it would be 3x spot easy, also the clarity and shape of the quartz matters in my opinion. I think other mineral specimens can bring big money too and can be a great investment due to their finite supply. I agree with all your other comments.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've sold several to collectors and jewellers here in New York that I have found in Arizona, for much more that spot. The keys are size, and access to qualified buyers. "Figural" nuggets are even hotter.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dozens of sites,motherlode gold dave,northern nevada gold etc etc etc. Been selling for over 50+++ years Crystalle in Laguna and many others so nuttn' new. Arizona gem fairs are massive also with many pounds sold Quartzite and on and on-John

OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dozens of sites,motherlode gold dave,northern nevada gold etc etc etc. Been selling for over 50+++ years Crystalle in Laguna and many others so nuttn' new. Arizona gem fairs are massive also with many pounds sold Quartzite and on and on-John

Crystalle is the only one who has reputation to reach the one percenters, the investment bank CEO's in NYC. Still think there's an untapped market for people
with billions to buy rare "nicnaks", JMO. Crystalle btw was robbed some years ago of inventory of unique gold specimens, along
with Yreka and Mariposa robberies. The crooks know what's valuable!

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you Fullpan there is a market for "nice nick-nacks" and it has been going on for some time. I suspect the problem is that the right 'specimen samples' do not come up that often, at least not from what I've found...................63bkpkr

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All you have to do is show up at Tucson Gem and Mineral show each year and you will see it all. The prices are off the chart. Comes down to the seller naming his or her price and there is always someone who will come along and pay the price. Saw lots of quartz/gold specimens this year. Living in Tucson for us the Gem show is old news but fasinating to visit. Its billed as the world largest show with sellers and buyers from all over the world. For nearly 1 month its tent city with hundreds of tents all over the entire city with some tents being 1000 feet long and 300 feet wide. Many of the hotels and resorts hotels stage shows during this month.

tumblr_lfwz0gLUOh1qzcuhr.jpg

day1d.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AzViper My Tent Runneth Over!! Wow! I've never heard of this show, thank you for the input!! I need to go to it, when do they usually have it??........................63bkpkr

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As an addition to all the good answers you have received.
Don't forget that 'shape' can make a plain specimen worth
many times more valuble (spelling?)
Attend a few large mineral shows,& you will get a good idea
as to the going value. Gold/specimen selling can be a funny thing
at times. But sooner or later someone will come along, & pay your price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions