Sniping

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any tips for sniping?

I took a mask and snorkle on my last trip to the NF of American River. My first view underwater just blew me away. WOW! And the first piece of bedrock I looked at? A beautiful picker wedged in a crack barely 18 inches under water. Have to say, my focus went from panning to sniping that quick. And of course, I found not another one for the next 4 hours. Did not deter me in the least. I'm hooked. That was the most fun I've had in a long long time.

The view underwater was just awesome - a completely new world. The videos I've watched did not do justice to what you actually see and feel. All I think about now is swimming around underwater and picking gold off the bedrock - LOL.

So, any tips or tools or caveats to keep in mind?

Upvote 0

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If I was up north, my 1st choice would dredging, but since ya cant i be a sniper, ive done this before it can be very productive way to find gold.

chase all cracks all the way and don't be afraid to dig, get a grease gun, rock hammer, gad bar.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I was up north, my 1st choice would dredging, but since ya cant i be a sniper, ive done this before it can be very productive way to find gold.

chase all cracks all the way and don't be afraid to dig, get a grease gun, rock hammer, gad bar.

Grease gun??

OP
OP
sidvail

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Guess I could call this one my first picker.
IMG_0516.JPG
Found at Euchre Bar
SUNP0004.JPG

OP
OP
sidvail

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, that did make my day. Can't wait to get back out there.

Found a great video on sniping from Hurthawk and a couple others. Gave me some ideas. Sure wish I could have tried dredging. I can only imagine.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sidvail - you can browse back through forums for tools, etc. 1 - tip: buy some "swimmers ear" if you plan on being submerged for any time - without it, the
dredgers got bad ear infections sometimes.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I've been telling everyone for years now, SNIPING is the way to go! That, and siphon dredging, where ever its quiet and you can get away with it. And using the low flow sluice box with no Gdamn riffles, using just ribbed rubber matting!

I blew some minds back in 94, on the S.Yuba one day. I was sniping with my mask, running a low flow sluice, had a monster home made suction gun, and panning it all out with my rectangular Le Trap pan. Miners came up to me, and couldn't believe what I was doing. Then, to blow minds further, I would get on all fours and dowse with my little copper wire doodlebug over the cracks. They thought I was nuts, until I showed them the gold, and why everything worked so well.

And I never had to lug heavy buckets of gravel around anymore, and would go home with my clean gold in a vial. I had to learn this new method because of my bad back. Now, I just can't do much anymore. Sad!

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
You should pm Neo Tokyo, he had a home made mouth siphon he used for sniping out of a arizona tea container, and they guy got on the gold early and often while sniping

OP
OP
sidvail

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm taking notes - keep em coming :)

I did make a pocket dredge - 2 pieces of 1/4" clear tubing to a bottle w/lid. Suck on one end and it pulls the material into the bottle. Works like a champ.

I need a good pair of tweezers too - and one of those snuffer bulbs.

Fullpan - Did not know about the ear infections. I'll take that to heart and prepare.

No buckets? No shoveling? I feel like I'm cheating somehow. LOL

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing - when you finally get a bucketful of snipers tools, be sure to count them when leaving a spot- don't know how many times I had to re-trace
my steps to recover my special thing-a-ma-jig! :BangHead:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Grease gun??

the most important tool in a sniper arsenal beside his wetsuit and mask.

Its a DIY tool and is made from a grease gun.

A good sniper probably only uses a rockhammer and a grease gun and could feasible pull out a gram a day, that's just my take im not up there.
If I was I would be working the creeks.

TILL I SPYED SOME QUARTZ..........................

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the most important tool in a sniper arsenal beside his wetsuit and mask.

Its a DIY tool and is made from a grease gun.

A good sniper probably only uses a rockhammer and a grease gun and could feasible pull out a gram a day, that's just my take im not up there.
If I was I would be working the creeks.

TILL I SPYED SOME QUARTZ..........................

Can you post a picture for me? I'm having a hard time envisioning what this would be...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread