mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, with some water, you can definitely pan. But, if you're seeing gold "shimmering" in the sand, it probably isn't gold. (could be, just probably isn't). Me, I'd be looking for the streaks of black sand. Of course, I'd also make sure I'm not on someone's claim. (it's healthier).

Now, as for that kit - the first thing you would need to do is mess it up - plastic is too darn slippery, so, when you first get a pan like that, you want to either sand-paper it, or rub sand in it - until its not smooth anymore. The classifier in the kit is going to take your bigger stones out.. Pan into another pan. Me, I prefer the smaller type pan - especially when I'm testing an area(s). Good luck.

Mrs. O

PS: I'd also be checking gulches, washes and gullies.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
There are a couple of old sayings that come to mind. First not all that glitters is gold. Most of the time if you see glittering on sand it is pyrite. Second saying that comes to mind is see if it " pans out". If there is gold in the sand it can be paned it out. Remember gold is heavy and it will most Likely be on the bottom of lighter material next to bedrock. Good luck and have fun!

rocme44

Sep 4, 2013
AZ, N.CA
Detector(s) used
AT, Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In S Cal. as in most places what you see is Mica. In sun light it looks like gold but
in the shade it disappears. shade it with your hand and see.
The saying is gold always looks like gold but mica only looks like god in the sun.

OP
OP
spower

spower

Tenderfoot
Nov 18, 2013
SoCal Desert
Detector(s) used
Eyes!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, kinda figured that but now I know. Now to figure out where I should go and give this a try!

I am out in the Salton Sea, CA area if anybody knows of places to go.

Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread