New years resolution

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lets hear what folks got planned for this year 2014.

My resolution is going to be a drastic change to my life style, as i am unplugging from my computer.
Going to pack away all my electronic devices for the next 4 months.

No cell phone, computer, tv, may watch an occasional old movie on dvd, but for the next 4 months my mind will be free of all this computer crap.
Who knows i may like it so much i might just stay electronic free !!!
Heck what am i talking about, i still got to make through the first days of disconnect.
Good luck in the new year.
GT..............................................

Upvote 0

rocme44

Sep 4, 2013
AZ, N.CA
Detector(s) used
AT, Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I disconnect every summer for 3-4 months. I RV to prospect site where no internet exists and enjoy being without services.
Town trips every 2-3 weeks catch me up on Cell phone calls, that is it.

Try it!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Let's see here...

1. Get the claim filed and locked in. Including having the POO approved by the Forest Service
2. Gather all the equipment needed to mine the site as effectively as possible
3. Spend at least 3 weeks out of the month removing as much gold from the ground as is possible.
4. Keep the Forest Service off my "six"
5. Get Robi a new ride with the license plate PD 4 N AU
6. Try to keep my sanity through all of this.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Jeff, not sure why you are so eager to submit a POO?

The normal process is to try to design an operation that accomplishes your mining goals while creating the least significant surface disturbance. The point being to prove you are within industry standards and technology so as not to cause "unnecessary or undue degradation of the lands". If you can establish that you should be able to proceed with nothing more than a 15 day notice.

2817.1 - Notice of Intent to Operate

Subject to certain exceptions (36 CFR 228.4(a)(1)), a notice of intent to operate is required from any person proposing to conduct operations which might cause significant disturbance of surface resources and who has chosen not to file an operating plan. A notice of intent to operate is not intended to be a regulatory instrument; it is a notice given to the Forest Service by an operator which describes the operator’s plan to conduct operations on National Forest System (NFS) lands. The trigger for a notice of intent is the operator’s reasonable uncertainty as to the significance of the potential effects of the proposed operations.

A POO is actually a waiver that provides permission to cause unnecessary or undue damage to the land. Think of a POO as being like a zoning variance where you are given permission to build something that does not fit within the zoning laws. If you have met modern mining standards and best practices, and establish that in a notice, there should be no need for a POO. A POO that blatantly ignores best practices is very unlikely to ever get Forest Service approval.

I will be addressing the common misunderstandings about the difference between a NOI and a POO in my upcoming series. In the meantime please understand that a properly formed notice can go a long way towards getting you mining in a reasonable time.

AZViper has been giving you hints as to where you are going to run into trouble. Bringing the large amounts of water you are going to need to run 10 yards an hour in that desert terrain will not fit within best mining practices. There are better established ways available in modern mining practices to process your placer. In other words your proposed mining plans are probably "unnecessary degradation of the land" - there is a way to do it without the surface disturbance you will cause with your current plans. Until you can show you observe those industry best practices you are unlikely to get an approved Plan of Operations - ever.

Talk to your neighbor Granville and listen to the difficulty he has had for years trying to get an approval for a plan similar to yours. Don't do as he says but instead try to learn from his mistakes.

I'm wishing you the best Jeff. I want you to succeed in your goals. When you move from a casual prospector to full scale mining there are different standards. Study and follow those standards and you will succeed.

Heavy Pans

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2014 will be the year I finally quit smoking. I made about a 4 month run back this spring, but it didn't take. Gonna have to beat the mule harder this time. Lol

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I must lose 50 pounds. I must prospect/mine much more often...minimum once a week...water levels allowing. Get much better at sniping. Find my first picker. Blow out my 2013 total by at least 10 times. Use the metal detector after I'm too pooped to dig.
These are a few of my favorite things:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My goal is to recover and get healthy. Nothing else is important, without your health what do you have? You can have all the toys, all the cash, the perfect home life, but without your health you have nothing.

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goal is to recover and get healthy. Nothing else is important, without your health what do you have? You can have all the toys, all the cash, the perfect home life, but without your health you have nothing.

Well said Keith. Happy recovery, and Merry Christmas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread