CA Prospecting Adventure This Week

Ct98023

Greenie
Jan 4, 2014
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,
Very grateful for the opportunity to head west this week from the frigid northeast to California. Looking forward to a week of cutting my newbie teeth in gold country. A big thank you to all of the contributors here who have unknowingly been both an inspiration and source of knowledge. From location advice to technique to claim research and just overall friendliness. This forum has served as a tremendous asset to my new found....well, you all already know that it's more than just a hobby ;)
Kicking things off early Thursday on the North Fork American River and from there will just see which way the gold winds blow me.
On a side note, I am planning on sending some pay dirt back east to a few friends. No guarantees on content although I do plan to obtain from areas that I already have checked and am working. If anyone stuck inside snowed in or just in a gold scarce area wants any, let me know.
Thanks again to everyone and look forward to getting to meet some of you all out on the rivers!

Upvote 0

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,
Very grateful for the opportunity to head west this week from the frigid northeast to California. Looking forward to a week of cutting my newbie teeth in gold country. A big thank you to all of the contributors here who have unknowingly been both an inspiration and source of knowledge. From location advice to technique to claim research and just overall friendliness. This forum has served as a tremendous asset to my new found....well, you all already know that it's more than just a hobby ;)
Kicking things off early Thursday on the North Fork American River and from there will just see which way the gold winds blow me.
On a side note, I am planning on sending some pay dirt back east to a few friends. No guarantees on content although I do plan to obtain from areas that I already have checked and am working. If anyone stuck inside snowed in or just in a gold scarce area wants any, let me know.
Thanks again to everyone and look forward to getting to meet some of you all out on the rivers!

Welcome.... If you get up around Redding feel free to hit me up.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
happy hunt'n man!i am sure you will find more than just gold, friendships,and beautiful country!best of luck to ya!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,

First off welcome to the forum! Just a bit of advice...we here in Cally are going thru the driest winter on record as of now. That is supposed to change quite a bit this week. At least in my neck of the woods. Just keep an eye on the weather as we are way overdue for a "correction" and then rivers become raging rapids in short order.
Good luck and good gold!:occasion14:

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
GBpro. BGT 48" miner, 36" prospector and super mini
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I can appreciate this as I was in your shoes about a year ago. All I can say is never give up, try to stay outta trouble and have fun! Best of luck to ya, oh and welcome.

OP
OP
Ct98023

Ct98023

Greenie
Jan 4, 2014
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks all for the welcomes! And thanks also for the heads up on the weather/water levels. As a firefighter, I'm guessing you guys could use the rain but hoping it holds off. Either way, goal is to be safe and enjoy the experience rolling & working through whatever setbacks arise.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
First off welcome to the neighborhood! I can't blame you at all for wanting to get out of the New England area! You folks have been getting hammered with the cold lately!

I'm sure that someone from the NFAR area will chime in here and of course extend an invite. Since gold is next to unheard of in your area AND you're going to be sending dirt home to those poor snowbound folks back east, our Cali members will want to show that they're a hospitable group and not like a bowl of granola. (Don't get upset here guys... I was born in Cali and did a lot of prospecting there over the years)

Don't be like the guys from Texas I played host to a couple of months ago! Listen to the locals and heed their advise! They're your best chance to get on the gold and can tell you which equipment works best for that area.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations on your choice to visit and work the Cali gold country. The NF American is a great place to start. You will find friendly people here and hopefully lots of shine to fill your pockets.... If all goes well I will be up there too this next weekend. Good luck!

Goldenmojo

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome CT, and hope all goes well in California. Used to drive truck all over Calif but was not into this rock hounding like now. You are going to have so much fun doing that. I will be hunting rocks here in Virginia.

OP
OP
Ct98023

Ct98023

Greenie
Jan 4, 2014
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Workers at ticket counter asked why my bag weighed so much. Told them I was going prospecting & checking in my sluice, pans, waders, hammers, camping gear etc. Intrigued by this adventure they waived the overweight fee ($50). Shout out to Delta. Off to a great start!

OP
OP
Ct98023

Ct98023

Greenie
Jan 4, 2014
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Had a great day in the river today. Hiked up from Yankee jims by Indian creek. Anxious, I shoveled a quick pan from one of the previously prospected holes and was energized to see a little gold just from that very first shovel! Amazing the gold you guys have here! Couple questions:
1) what is the etiquette for exploring previously worked spots? They are everywhere! (Fair game have at it or that's someone's hard work and they'll be back to work it, dig your own)
2) lots of thick clay (grey, tan) pockets down below gravel layer. Pain to work but seems gold bearing. Thoughts?
Great to be out here! Beautiful country!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everytime I hit blue clay I find gold. Good luck + stay safe

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
CT glad to hear that you made it to California, Yankee Jim's and some gold. I am not sure what the etiquette rules are for working previous digs. I would say as long a someone is not chest deep in the hole when you get there it is an open game, however I might be wrong. Someone will chime in soon and then we will both know... Lucky Strikes and send pics...

GM

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you see a large hole it may be an example of paying dirt. Sample and use the fruits their labor if you prove the sample.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it is obvious somebody has been working the hole recently I think proper etiquette would be to leave it. I know if it was me I would appreciate it. Once I am completely done I fill my holes in but it may take a few trips to be done. I am currently working in a public spot and every time I open something up there are a couple of guys that come in and destroy it. They are really starting to piss me off. It is public so there is really nothing you can do about it other than move on, but I still think it is a crappy thing to do unless it is obvious the guy has abandoned the spot.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Law and etique BOTH mandate if you dig it out--you fill it in before you leave. Even detector holes,these folks who pizz ya off are doing what YOU were required to do. Like all the holes left on my claim right:skullflag: John

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's very nice of you to send pannin' dirt to your friends.

I hope you get lots of color in what you collect.

As for prospect holes, over the years (and I'm talking about prospect holes from the 1800's), they've led me to some beautiful gold.

As for holes that are current, John has a point about the rules and regulations in his area.

If they're abandoned holes on public lands/panning properties--see what's in there. The key word being "abandoned".

If I know someone's currently working a hole, I respect their right to it--it's an unwritten code you'll often see respected.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

mcordell

Nov 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A partial fill is still proper even if you are coming back to it. A couple basketball size rocks is fine. Torn up river banks just make us look bad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread