Dealing with ticks

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone have any advice for keeping the ticks away? They're really really bad in California right now with all this warm weather were having. I'm seeing bunches of them on the plants while hiking. Tomorrow I'm planning on going off the trails into the brush and I hate those little blood suckers. This may sound a bit crazy but I'm going to try wrapping white garbage bags around my legs so I can see them crawling up me! Haha if you see a guy stumbling around the woods with poofy garbage bags on his legs tomorrow that's me.. Also anyone know if any type of repellent works for ticks??

Upvote 0

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Repel Permanone from Wally World. Treat your cloths before wearing, it's not for application to skin. Southern IN. has horrible ticks and chiggers in late spring to first frost. this does it for me. One other poster mentioned Permathane. didn't think this was sold over the counter anymore. Used to use it the same way on my hunting cloths. Heard it was pulled because it was not good for people. None of it's probably good for you.

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear pants normally- hang down over hightop boots. That way as you brush the ticks off, they fall on the ground and are not caught up in your boot.
Like said, they dont come from the ground usually, but off the grass and brush.
Hoser John preaches the truth! Stay the LL away from the poisons. Temporary comfort aint worth the damage that stuff does to your body.
Also the tick needs to suck on you for a while before the diseased juices are transferred from him to you. So generally if its not feeding on you for hours, its a non issue.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as removing ticks .. very bad advice so far. you should never attempt to pull them out with tweezers, you can rip the head off and leave it lodged in your skin, and as far as burning them out.. also bad idea. can burn your skin.. The number one way to remove a tick you ask? Simple, they are air breathing insects, simple cut off their air supply and they will back out of your skin all on their own.

This is done by placing soapy water over the tick, ta-da.. watch them crawl back out all on their own...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread