Dont forget to watch the new episode of "Diamond Rush: Guyana" tonight!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totals I'd really like to see:
Tony Beets
Freddie Dodge
What parker and his buddy got after the lights went off.
UncleMatt, I did not see enough room on the little plane for any of that stuff, I suspect they sold it at something quite less than market to old DeadEye or one of the local neighboring claims.
316 Mining was a bust this year, wasnt even fun to watch them in the muck. Maybe they should do a crossover on Bearing Sea gold next, that could be a GAME CHANGER, holy FRICK!
(Anyone else want to see Todd try to cram his girth into a dive suit? hahah!) God Bless 'em all!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Hoffman side show reminds an Abbot & Costello movie with Dave Turin as Bud Abbot and Todd H as Lou Costello. I used to love those old movies when I was a kid but as an adult who is passionate about prospecting I just can't watch stupid for long. I enjoy the rest of the show but since I DVR the show, it's easy to just fast forward past the Hoffman sections and the commercials embedded there. Someone please tell the advertisers not to buy ads in those segments of the show and the 316-stupid will disappear faster than pumpkin pie on thanksgiving!

Oh and Christo needs to show at least a little of the replanting/remediation the miners do to clean up after themselves...I know from talking to Freddy Dodge myself that it is happening. The public needs to see that miners are not uncaring Neanderthals.

Last edited:

Ordell

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and Christopher needs to show at least a little of the replanting/remediation the miners do to clean up after themselves...I know from talking to Freddy Dodge myself that it is happening. The public needs to see that miners are not uncaring Neanderthals.

They did cover it in an episode of The Dirt.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to say it... but in a way I feel the Hoffman's pain.
But there is a way to solve the issue or answer the question..
What most people have missed... is the answer to WHY they are not catching gold.

1- Test pan dirt.... find gold in dirt.

2- Run dirt through plant... no gold in the sluice.

3- Repeat.... nothing.

So, the question remains.... WHY if you run dirt with gold in it through a plant, do you end up with little to no gold?

Hmmmm...

Might be fun to hear some ideas.

Doc

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The obvious answer to me anyways... The dirt is completely different from what they are used to running. Too bad they didn't just do what everyone else is doing successfully down there. Seems they were down in the mud just like everyone else towards the end.... I can't imagine I couldn't find more than 2 ounces by myself with my equipment down there in !!!!5!!! months. As far as the diamonds go, I bought my fiance a bracelet for Xmas that has more diamonds (gem quality anyways), than they caught. It was exciting watching them prospect, but their inability to find un-worked ground makes you want to shake some sense into them. What is next? Africa? I hope that if they don't go back to the Yukon, Todd's crew decides to go work for Dave instead. Maybe Todd could be their camp chef?

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did it not strike you strange that when Jack showed the clean up there were only like two ounces are so total but yet they said they were seeing gold in the pan when testing. It's hard to believe that many men ran that operation and didn't find any more gold than they did. Who wouldn't have kicked them off the claim. They went there claiming they were going to kick butt and get all this gold. Should have stayed where they were.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, if they did everything right, there'd be no drama, which would equal no commercial sell power, which would equal the show being cancelled.

That's why the Hoffman crew took off to go globe trotting. They were getting good gold where they were, so it was much harder to manufacture drama.

How to fix that no drama problem? Go somewhere completely different to get everybody in the Hoffman crew completely out of their comfort zone, to generate some near death experiences, and to make the chances of success as slim as possible, for now. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They showed a shot of Fred's new hole, supposedly caving in, but it sure did look like a shot of the old glory hole. Haha.
And they never did show the hole caving in by the creek!

Tony Beets turned into bullying Parker, just because he could. That shows a lack of character.

And I was not impressed with the few tiny little diamonds Toad showed.

I thought the old glory hole also :laughing7:

I wonder..... recycling old footage ? :unhappysmiley:

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Camera crews can dramatize anyone and take things out of context, chronology and personal value. They can even piss someone off, who then vents it on an unsuspecting coworker. We can only watch what the camera crew wants us to see and the tempered environments they want us to experience. :laughing7:

rebel003

Feb 17, 2011
Winston, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
there is a gold trap in the trommel that they don't know about, must be several hundred ounces in there by now. Freddy D. will go get it next week...

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yes, I know but that's just not good enough ...I have higher standards than that ;)

I will say the guys have been begging the producers to cover the reclamation they do. They want a focus on reclamation on the show because yeah any mining operation looks like hell while its happening. freaks out people and they don't understand that after the top soil is put back on it improves the land, particularly in the yukon.

So I got a personal tour of one mine int he yukon and yes. The hole of the current operation...looked like a bomb went off.

However the places where the ground was reclaimed 25 years after mining was done. willow and raspberry and aspen were so thick you had to walk around except where the bears and moose pushed though. And the berries tasted really good too!

Also. You have to watch out because the bears like the berries that grow in the tilled soil.

the old tailing and settling ponds attract moose and a whole range of wild life and provide food and habitat.

And even more after these areas are mined the local first nations people suddenly claim the areas as ancestral hunting grounds because the animals they hunt that are sacred are guess where...yeah. the old mine works because it creates habitat. So of course its ancestral hunting ground!

Very inconvenient truths for those who are haters of mining. Or close there eyes to the facts.

The Canadians however have figured this out. They understand you can have a balance of mining and nature and native peoples that is beneficial for everyone. Everyone wins. miners get gold. Nature gets habitat, Native peoples get to hunt and follow traditions, and government gets money and taxes...win win win.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will say the guys have been begging the producers to cover the reclamation they do. They want a focus on reclamation on the show because yeah any mining operation looks like hell while its happening. freaks out people and they don't understand that after the top soil is put back on it improves the land, particularly in the yukon. So I got a personal tour of one mine int he yukon and yes. The hole of the current operation...looked like a bomb went off. However the places where the ground was reclaimed 25 years after mining was done. willow and raspberry and aspen were so thick you had to walk around except where the bears and moose pushed though. And the berries tasted really good too! Also. You have to watch out because the bears like the berries that grow in the tilled soil. the old tailing and settling ponds attract moose and a whole range of wild life and provide food and habitat. And even more after these areas are mined the local first nations people suddenly claim the areas as ancestral hunting grounds because the animals they hunt that are sacred are guess where...yeah. the old mine works because it creates habitat. So of course its ancestral hunting ground! Very inconvenient truths for those who are haters of mining. Or close there eyes to the facts. The Canadians however have figured this out. They understand you can have a balance of mining and nature and native peoples that is beneficial for everyone. Everyone wins. miners get gold. Nature gets habitat, Native peoples get to hunt and follow traditions, and government gets money and taxes...win win win.
Exactly! That's the story we need told!

Thanks for taking the time to share so much Dave!

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
The answer is kind of obvious as to why they were not recovering much gold. You are not dealing with coarse gold but fine. Their monster high water velocity sluice washed it all away. Works just fine in the Yukon- washing all the fine gold way just to catch the coarse but Guyana was different. George

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The answer is kind of obvious as to why they were not recovering much gold. You are not dealing with coarse gold but fine. Their monster high water velocity sluice washed it all away. Works just fine in the Yukon- washing all the fine gold way just to catch the coarse but Guyana was different. George
that sluice was designed by Freddy Dodge and he knows how to catch fine gold...he makes a living on it. I think the failure was in using water that was too loaded with sediment so the fine gold didn't drop thru it into the mats. Just my theory from watching the show of course. Sad truth was that Freddy wasn't around when they were finally running the gold paydirt (so he couldn't sort it out for them) and I think they just don't know enough about mining. Sad but true.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
that sluice was designed by Freddy Dodge and he knows how to catch fine gold...he makes a living on it. I think the failure was in using water that was too loaded with sediment so the fine gold didn't drop thru it into the mats. Just my theory from watching the show of course. Sad truth was that Freddy wasn't around when they were finally running the gold paydirt (so he couldn't sort it out for them) and I think they just don't know enough about mining. Sad but true.
Agreed. One thing Freddy does well is catch fine gold. The biggest problem with the mud down there. like any mud in a gold operation is balls of clay will stick to and carry away gold. And the fact that Freddy was not able to be down there to double check that is a contributing factor. flow rates. Angle, water quality. Gold quality. all of these things are contributing factors. Most of what they were running was mud. clay and very little rock. They needed more fresh water in my opinion. The stones they got were big enough to be caught in the equipment. The ground is different from the experience they gained in the Yukon.

Gotta love little carbon crystals! diamonds.jpg

Wait a second how did i get these....hmm mmm humm. la la la. ok i will let everyone wonder :) lips are zipped. Anyone want some gold?

2013-02-22_11-45-45_76.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread