Upper American River

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The last few day I have been revisiting the upper NF American River. So many different trails. Hell so many trails that branch of trails. Just some truly awesome areas for sure. It is funny how gold prospecting led me to discover other things that I enjoy. I guess it is not always about the Gold.(Gold definitely helps though).. Trail hunting/exploring has been a hobby of mine for some time. So many different periods of history from the Gold Rush to the Depression to the present.. All marked with "Footprints" so to speak. Anyway lately I been finding myself on the Blue wing(not Turro Mine Rd) and the booth trails. Mostly locals and Gorge Scramblers and Prospectors use these trails. Ultimately these trails can all be linked by other trails an absolute maze of trails in the area. Booth River Placer Mine is directly across the river from bottom of Booth trail. Long since forgotten to most.. Some very nice nuggets have been found here.. The hillside across the river has been cut down to bedrock. Yesterday I spent the day checking out an other off shoot of the booth and did some prospecting all in all a pretty good day. I wish it wasn't so cold but oh well. That one course picker weighed just under a half gram.. Some heavy gold I love it.. I plan on making a trip to Dorer ranch down on Euchre trail soon figure I will bother the caretaker (the professor) I hear he is partial to whiskey. Looking forward to all his history.. Anyway here are some views of the Booth Trail I took yesterday.

hope everyone is on some good gold..

Upvote 0

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice pickers!

I take it you parked somewhere near the Iowa Hill cemetary... What's your feeling on leaving a vehicle parked there for a day or two if I want to overnight in the canyon?

L.G.

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very curious / nervous about that as well L.G... I have left my car on Iowa Hill, just above the pay area, for 2 night's while I was out campin on the river. But, I checked on it both day's it was there. Thankfully, it was left alone. Want to spend a few day's campin in the area later this spring / summer, so would be very interested in somewhere safe to park.

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And, very cool thread, as always MM... I just printed out a topo map yesterday of Euchre bar trail and thought would be fun to go hike to the footbridge, at least....

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Iowa Hill Cemetery seems to be the New Trail head. The original trail head now on private property. I would be surprised if anything were to happen to a vehicle left for a few nights. I would leave a note in the windshield.. Really not a whole lot of traffic at Iowa Hill almost all locals. I never ever had my vehicle tampered with at Iowa Hill sometimes leaving it for a week.

ALewis Euchre bar is a great place. if you go past the foot bridge about a half mile you will soon be engulfed in the history of the area. Tons of old mining relics and old cabin sites ect. ect.

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks MM, Sounds really cool. I love finding the gold, but I am just as interested in the old stories, equipment, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions