Found it! Miller table surface

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy Liner Ultra Fresh was:Found it! Miller table surface

Walking through home depot on a clearance run I noticed an upside down holiday mat. What caught my eye was the rubber backing was little circle dimples like a gulf ball. I can't find Attila's post offhand, but here's his Utube video

I'll get the numbers off the mat in case anyone else state side is interested. I did try to peel the front off and it seems to come away pretty easily. Course, 5 inches in may be completely different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found the Easy Liner at Lowes this afternoon. Cost was $6.95 for
a piece 20" x 48". Also bought an 8' 12" wide melamine shelf, and
tomorrow (if the garage is warm enough!) I'll cut it down to 30"
pieces. Top that with a few coats of green chalkboard paint and
I think it'll work well as a table surface.

I'll glue the Easy Liner over the 12"x30" board I've been working
on, and will test it out as soon as the beach thaws out. At the moment
any beach sand that was wet is now is frozen solid, and I hate
chipping ice..:laughing7:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kazcoro be a little leary of any roofing products. They may be impregnated with oil. You could end up with a h*ll of a train wreck

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's actually TPO, thermoplastic poly olefin. It is the backer that has that texture. It almost seems like the same material. A good cleaning with zylene and then simple green removes most of any contaminant. I wouldn't use it regardless, just thought it was interesting. I am not saying don't warn people. You are right, someone could use asphalt roofing materials without thinking and have the train wreck you are picturing. I just know (a little bit) better. This reminds me of the soundproofing I put in my car. The same warning applies there. You use a peel-n-stick roofing product, and your car smells like tar everytime the sun shines!

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well here is a sneak peek of my Miller Table that will be using Duckbrand Easy Liner. I will start a thread for it. Oh and before somebody says I have the holes pointed the wrong way the answer is no.

T215.jpg

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
please do. I really like your use of grommets.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really like how you do that. No need to clamp, screw, etc. Simple friction fit where possible. I would def build one, but I had to give my fiance something to buy me for xmas, so she got me the Black Magic. Really simple unit.

OP
OP
J

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home depots were a bust. Except the one I bought the first one at, I bought a second. The grill mat is a bit different from pumpkin mat. Divots aren't quite as deep. I took some shots, I'll upload later. Target has a couple mats with a similar pattern on the back, but the front is unsuitable. Figure there has to be some home decor place out there, but I'm not sure I'd find them here. We don't have wet, mud or most things you'd use a welcome mat for.

Watching the video again, he found it on the back of v-mat. Does anyone have v-mat with golfball looking divots on the back?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home depots were a bust. Except the one I bought the first one at, I bought a second. The grill mat is a bit different from pumpkin mat. Divots aren't quite as deep. I took some shots, I'll upload later. Target has a couple mats with a similar pattern on the back, but the front is unsuitable. Figure there has to be some home decor place out there, but I'm not sure I'd find them here. We don't have wet, mud or most things you'd use a welcome mat for.

Watching the video again, he found it on the back of v-mat. Does anyone have v-mat with golfball looking divots on the back?

AZ viper posted a link to the store finder above....
Here it is again...
Solid Easy Liner® - Black Ultra Fresh | Duck® Brand store finder

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shoot, all you need is a foot of it. The Black Magic catches everything in the first few inches. Too bad it doesn't come in green. Black is pretty good, but green would show your black sands leaving easier...

OP
OP
J

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AZ viper posted a link to the store finder above....
Here it is again...
Solid Easy Liner® - Black Ultra Fresh | Duck® Brand store finder
I've seen that at walmart, lowes and posted a closeup picture in this thread. It does appear to be what ProGold uses on the Black Magic. It isn't the same as what Attila uses in the video. It's more of zigzag lines.

Walmart easyliner.jpg

The mat I found had circular divots on the back, like the video shows.

Pumpkin harvest pad front, back
Pumpkin mat.jpg Pumpkin mat Back.jpg

Pumpkin harvest pad over grill mat
Pumpkin mat versus Grill.jpg

I think the pumpkin covering will separate, though not easily, from the rubber backing.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another sneak peek before its completely done mounted on an adjustable PVC frame within a black tub. Will be able to adjust the Miller table front to back and side to side. I will have a top plate that covers the ovpc pipe that angles downward to a 1/8" off of the black mat. Will also take a page from GoodGuy and install some type of dispenser matting within the covered ovpc pipe so the water flows out evenly. Black matting installed.

T216.jpg

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keith, that new table looks sweet! Looking forward
to hearing how it runs..:icon_thumleft:

Laminated a piece of the Easyliner on to a 12"x30", 3/4"
piece of well sealed ply. Used some 3M Super 90 as the
adhesive, and then used the wife's rolling pin to flatten it
all out. Just to insure my own survival, I did wrap the roller
in wax paper before doing using it, and everything worked
well. Super 90 sets up so fast there's not much working time,
but it looks like I got all the bubbles out.

Also started on a piece of 12"x30", 3/4" melamine shelf. Plan
is to use the green chalkboard paint on it, as it's a perfectly
smooth, hard surface. One completed, I can test them side
by side and see which once works the best.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mike I used 3M 77 of which I use all the time when applying a custom playing surfaces on a poker table. I applied a light mist to the sluice box then a light mist to the mat and allow the adhesive to nearly dry. I then use a dozen 3/8" wood dowels slightly smaller than the ID width of the sluice box. The dowels suspend the mat above the bottom of the sluice box and allows me to position the mat. I then began removing dowels as I allow the two surfaces to bond to each other. Once the two surfaces come together there is no turning back as the mat is bonded and cannot be removed.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mike I used 3M 77 of which I use all the time when applying a custom playing surfaces on a poker table. I applied a light mist to the sluice box then a light mist to the mat and allow the adhesive to nearly dry. I then use a dozen 3/8" wood dowels slightly smaller than the ID width of the sluice box. The dowels suspend the mat above the bottom of the sluice box and allows me to position the mat. I then began removing dowels as I allow the two surfaces to bond to each other. Once the two surfaces come together there is no turning back as the mat is bonded and cannot be removed.

I worked for a cabinet shop many, many moons ago, and that was the same
method we used for laying down a Formica top on counters. Works well, but
has to be done just right, IIRC.

How long do you let the Super77 sit before bonding the two pieces?

Gotta go pick up a couple 1x3's or 1x4's for the edges of these two, and
already have all the plumbing parts for the water feed. Hope to have one
of these running in a day or so.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I worked for a cabinet shop many, many moons ago, and that was the same
method we used for laying down a Formica top on counters. Works well, but
has to be done just right, IIRC.

How long do you let the Super77 sit before bonding the two pieces?

That's how I learned to use the dowels doing laminate. In my situation with me having side it was the only method I could use. I still use this method on poker table cloths as it very important to get the cloths centered. I allowed the adhesive to get on the dry side but slightly tacking. As you know humidity, temps, etc. are going to have an affect on the drying time. Laminate cement you allow the adhesive to completely dry and when the two piece come together they bond.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here is a sneak peek of my Miller Table that will be using Duckbrand Easy Liner. I will start a thread for it. Oh and before somebody says I have the holes pointed the wrong way the answer is no.

View attachment 942453

On the water bar on my main slate miller table I have the holes pointing straight up and the bar resting on the slate thinking that when the water flows over and down the pvc that it would make a smoother flow. Worked pretty good but not as good as when I sat the bar on top of scotch brite padding. Now I use it under the bar on all my tables no matter which way I point the holes. It also acts as a filter and keeps the water clean from debris that the pump sucks up out of the recirculating tub. Sticking the pump into a nylon stocking or paint filter bag works even better but they have to be cleaned off more often.

Where did you get the grommets? and what size are they? That was a great idea :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GG,

Sometimes this old guy (56) pumps out great ideas. The grommet size is going to depend on the size of the PVC or CPVC used. Lowes carries a product called CPVC tubing. Its smaller and fits the bill for this project. The tubing OD is 5/8. I found the grommets at Ace Hardware. The grommets fit snug on the CPVC prior to the installation. I used a step drill bit and drilled to 13/16. The grommets were tight to get installed but it allow for a very tight fit of the OVPC tube. Securing the pipe using this method was a no brainer as it hold the pipe secured, its water tight, and it looks great. I suspect the idea to catch on and will be seeing this method on other commercial sluice boxes. I used stainless steel #6 screws to secure the header plate. I will cut the top using the same material and bend it downward and will be secured using the same screws. The box is made of .080 so its heavier and will take a beating. With the fold edge makes it a stronger box.

I had not planned to show the updated Miller Table until it was completed but I still plan to start a page on its own so others who want to build it will have a good idea of everything needed and how to.

MT3.jpg MT4.jpg MT5.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread