Geologists Help Me Out Here

Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you in advance for your help Geologists, I am just so fascinated with the area that I would like to learn more about it. I understand somewhat of how different elements make their way up to the surface and fill cracks but in my limited travels I've never seen anything quite like this. What has me puzzled is that the majority of the quartz is not found in veins but in huge globs or balls. I have found Quartz in this same area that are more like the solid rock form but most is a conglomerate of thin layers and small areas of crystals. I'm trying not to give away the location at the moment or I would include a video of the entire area.

bobs-gold.jpg

desert_gold.jpg

bob.jpg

Upvote 0

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only thing I have found in quartz, and around quartz is chalcedony.
Since you said it looked like it was poured or so.
But this rock comes from extreme heat and moisture.
I have found some around my area that also comes in the shape of geodes, and know of a place where there is a whole ledge of this, streak.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It looks like calcite? that's formed from what Clay is talking about. Especially when you say it looks like what's inside a geode, and all of that swirled material is very common around those deposits as well.

I've seen it several times.

All the best,

Lanny

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey dh,i agree with these gentlemen, def looks hydro thremal,if you take a peek at rocks and gems forum on here ,and go to a thread titled pa/pocket banded sphalerite, you will see the same layering and folding that you have there,my material is a lil different but was deposited in the same manner,what you will see is calcite and sphalerite,from a massive lead zinc deposit, that is def good place to look for goodys.at the margins of these is where some interesting things tend to be. best of luck to man!you will see also that i have (cavities) where a mineral crystals has decomposed and left those crystal pock marks. i see you have those as well.

Last edited:

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quartz (SiO2) is slightly soluble in water and at around 350C is the most soluble. Hot ground water can dissolve the quartz, and when it gets to a cooler location, it tends to fill the voids in whatever shape they may be. I have seen gas bubble pockets in lava filled with opal. It's very common to see seams (cracks) in rock masses filled in with a quartz vein that was deposited by hydrothermal activity.

OP
OP
D

Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
loco oro, that thread is similar finding, the big difference is the lack of quartz in mine, it is very little. I suspect this will change as I have found huge pieces of quartz in the area at the mountains base.

OP
OP
D

Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay Diggins, thank you. Been up since 4 studying the info at the links you provided. I'm really looking forward to learning all I can about this as it is the only area I have found this in the area, it really is unique for the area.

OP
OP
D

Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LP13, most of this is Calcite, however there are areas of this stuff that look like molten glass sheets that I suspect are quartz.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are hydrothermal deposits Hermit. Good area to look for mineralization.
Hydrothermal and Skarn Deposits

Despite the source this is a good website for basic geology. Look around it won't hurt you. :thumbsup:

Here's more
Mineral Deposits

I agree! Maybe deposits along a Fault line that were heated and forced to the surface by increased Hydrothermal activity (earthquakes and tremors).

Frank

OP
OP
D

Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you all for the info, looking at the actual pieces in front of me and images around the Internet I have to agree it's Calcite formed by hydrothermal deposits. I've been studying the links Clay, I now have a project to keep me busy for, oh, let's say, ten years. ??? One interesting characteristic of the spot I'm working on is there is an abrupt change if you compare the surrounding area. The mountain range atop the Garlock fault is mostly covered with Granite, heading toward my spot the granite disappears and the soil becomes red in color, most miners in the area find heavy gold deposits in this red soil. We move on toward my spot and the red soil vanishes abruptly. On my spot the Granite does reappear, however, it is either millions of years older than the nearby Granite mountains (which is doubtful) or the activity in the area quickly eroded it. My spot is also the only one in the area with this visible area of Calcite. I'm sure that Geologists and miners have concluded that this spot is not gold bearing or it is too costly to mine, as there are no mines in the spot, there are however mines not too far to the south and north. I understand the principle of prospecting in known gold producing areas, I do, and I know that not doing so is what has produced my hundreds of pounds of rocks filled with Pyrite. But there is a big problem out here in my area, if it's a known gold producing area it's claimed for miles around it. My hair brain idea is this, a mountain is a very tall and deep mystery, who can possibly know in fullness what it holds in it's yet unresearched depths? I know for a fact that the Geologist can help me tremendously as I explore, and I am also certain that in a few years after learning more I'll look back and laugh with others who have laughed at me. One thing about me is I don't take constructive criticism as an insult, neither do I despise the laugh from the learned. I ask questions because I am unlearned, I don't understand for the life of me how an unlearned person can grow if they're afraid of criticism and an occasional laugh at their ignorance. I suppose that when all is said and done that there really can be no harm or foul in this quest of mine, as the real motivating factor behind it is not gold, it is the joy of exploration and the peace found in solitude.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions