With or Without Permit

Utduder

Oct 12, 2012
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a A52 adapted with a boomer box and Gold N Sand. I can't make sense of Utah's rules. Do I need a permit or not?

This is what the website states.
Recreational Panning* - using non-mechanized equipment such as a pan, sluice box, or pick and shovel that does not disturb the earth above the water line or outside a dry stream bed.

Recreational Dredging
and Sluicing Permit

Recreational Dredging* - using a suction dredge with an intake diameter of four inches or less and having a rating of twelve horse power or less, or using hand-operated sluice equipment and related tools. Dredging must occur beneath the existing water surface or upon non-vegetated sand and gravel bars within the active stream channel for a period not to exceed 45 days annually.

Upvote 0

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Too bad the gov't employee who wrote that has no idea what they are talking about.
They included hand-operated tools in both categories...specifically and then generally.
Also a difference between 'mechanized' and 'motorized.

Good luck explaining yourself to the judge ???

Bob

OP
OP
Utduder

Utduder

Oct 12, 2012
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the email I sent and got back from the Utah Division of Water Rights.

Me: Roddy,is a manual hand suction pump (non motorized) such as a Gold n Sand considered mechanized? The description of the rule is very confusing. I want make certain what I'm doing is legal without a permit . Thanks.

Roddy (DUWR):A manual hand suction pump (non motorized) does not need a permit, just verbal property owner permission

So I got my question answered.... I would still like the genius that worded that description to explain to me exactly how that makes sense.

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no permit necessary from what I read and the tools you use.
You can always call them and ask, I did when I wanted to know where and where I could not sluice in Colorado.
He said all you need a permit for is the motorized dredges and advised me to take that to the Arkansas river valley and make some real money. lmfao, that guy was awesome to talk to.

Hope your dirt washing goes good. Post some pics! :)

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You might want to learn where such authority exists and where it must cease to exist. Additionally you might want to have an understanding of mining law/rules/regs/agency policies; that lay the groundwork for any proper authority governing such issues as mining methods.

americanmininglawforum.myfastforum.org :: Index

bejay

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Bejay, good to see you here. Welcome to TNet!

Bejays been mining for more than 35 years. If he's got an opinion on mining or mining law smart miners pay attention. :thumbsup:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
no permit necessary from what I read and the tools you use. You can always call them and ask, I did when I wanted to know where and where I could not sluice in Colorado. He said all you need a permit for is the motorized dredges and advised me to take that to the Arkansas river valley and make some real money. lmfao, that guy was awesome to talk to. Hope your dirt washing goes good. Post some pics! :)
Most places in co there is no permit needed for 4" dredges. There is on the Ark cause like the guy said, there's really good (fine) gold there...and nervous land managers who saw GPAA (mostly) folks getting wild and unruly.

You might want to learn where such authority exists and where it must cease to exist. Additionally you might want to have an understanding of mining law/rules/regs/agency policies; that lay the groundwork for any proper authority governing such issues as mining methods. americanmininglawforum.myfastforum.org :: Index bejay
yes! (And thanks for adding your insight.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Most places in co there is no permit needed for 4" dredges. There is on the Ark cause like the guy said, there's really good (fine) gold there...and nervous land managers who saw GPAA (mostly) folks getting wild and unruly. yes! (And thanks for adding your insight.
From what ive personnaly seen on the Arkansa River as to the gpaa people, a lot of them dont know where any boundarys are for their section and end up going where ever they please inspite of Federal mining claim markers that are clearly posted!they pzzed off a lot of home owners and claim owners along that streach of river!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Yes John, he has to have how many dredges/highbankers/people will be allowed on the claim at one time. dont want to have happen what happened to the big clubs in Colorado! and they come by and check permits/camps even while Leonard and the CCC boys arent there.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought Leonard said he had to have a dredge permit also there and his multi year NOI/plan too???John
yup but what I'm saying is those are rules that apply to the Arkansas River but not to the rest of the state. Generally in CO you only need a permit for dredges OVER 4". Always good to ask the local blm office of course!

Goldhock

Aug 11, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most places in co there is no permit needed for 4" dredges. There is on the Ark cause like the guy said, there's really good (fine) gold there...and nervous land managers who saw GPAA (mostly) folks getting wild and unruly.

Sounds like the GPAA members at Douglas Creek in WY! Huge non reclaimed holes! Waiting for the BLM to shut that one down..

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

Sounds like the GPAA members at Douglas Creek in WY! Huge non reclaimed holes! Waiting for the BLM to shut that one down..
HMMMMMMMMMMMM?? the Spring runoff fills these dredge holes yearly and the Wyoming guys that have the claims, that ive meet , dredge most of the Summer. up by the Bobby Thompsom camp ground the river bed is full of big boulders and down stream of the "flats" its in a fairly deep valley that ive NEVER seen any BLM people. im sure they don't want to spill their coffee!:) I think I know exactly who your referring to on the huge dredged holes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread