creek dirt

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok I have only one question. At a bend, should I take dirt from the bend in the water or from the dirt on the side out of the water?

Both.

Try the dirt out of the water on the bend first to see what's running in the gravel and where the heaviest concentration is (top end of bar/middle/bottom downstream end of bar).

When and if the stream drops, try the dirt that was under the water as sometimes if you've found a hotspot out of the water, it may continue under the water.

If there's bedrock, use a suction gun and check the bedrock under the water for sure.

If you have a long shovel and you can reach the dirt under the water before it drops (if you've found a hotspot) you can try that too, it's just not as efficient.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok I have only one question. At a bend, should I take dirt from the bend in the water or from the dirt on the side out of the water?
i would start wherever the largest rocks were dropped by the stream...above or below waterline.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread