Gold Prospecting book recommendations

Campngolf

Feb 4, 2014
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a visual-type learner so I need to get my hands on something or watch someone skilled to best learn most things. Saying that, I also believe that book learnin' has its place for gaining knowledge.

I just finished my first gold book, "Underwater Sniping for Gold" by Sam Radding & Jim Garlock. Great book and learned a ton. It's particularly good because if covers most of the areas I'll be hitting so it's extra relevant.

So now I'm ready for book #2 and looking for a few books I should add to my reading list. I think "Fists Full of Gold" by Chris Ralph will be near the top but what others should I be looking for? I'll be looking for gold in the CA mother lode and am a total newb. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Camp

Upvote 0

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread! I agree with all recommendations, and was excited to see references to a couple I was not familiar with. In particular: "Tertiary Gravels of the Sierra Nevada" by Waldemar Lindgren. I immediately went to all the normal sites but only the flacky copy was available.

HOWEVER, THE ORIGINAL can be found and downloaded from the government web site: http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/0073/report.pdf It must be quite a volume as it took at least 15 minutes to download (wifi,laptop). At first glance it is a treasure and will have to do until I can lay my hands on a print copy, which I much prefer. Price is right.

Best regards to all, Thurman

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't be limited to just books! There are a LOT of other great sources of information on the web. I routinely use the State Geology site, U.S. Geological Service site and Clay Digguns new site to do research, Clays site is still growing but he's already got a ton of good USEFUL info posted up. Http://www.mylandmatters.org
Take some time to do some exploring there and I'm sure you'll find it to be a great site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread