Gold Prospecting book recommendations

Campngolf

Feb 4, 2014
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a visual-type learner so I need to get my hands on something or watch someone skilled to best learn most things. Saying that, I also believe that book learnin' has its place for gaining knowledge.

I just finished my first gold book, "Underwater Sniping for Gold" by Sam Radding & Jim Garlock. Great book and learned a ton. It's particularly good because if covers most of the areas I'll be hitting so it's extra relevant.

So now I'm ready for book #2 and looking for a few books I should add to my reading list. I think "Fists Full of Gold" by Chris Ralph will be near the top but what others should I be looking for? I'll be looking for gold in the CA mother lode and am a total newb. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Camp

Upvote 0

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Campngolf.

Underwater Sniping for Gold is a good one! My suggestion for next up would be "Fists Full of Gold" ... and I see you are onto that one already.

How about treating yourself to a subscription to ICMJ -- prospecting and mining journal. I ordered the print (cause I like magazines in my hands -- to read backwards or something like that :dontknow:). I tossed in the digital for just $4 more. Like $35 for both. Anyhow, Chris Ralph writes alot of articles for ICMJ. Ray Mills and Steve Herschbach also write for ICMJ -- they also post here on the boards. Great guys, great stuff.

One book I enjoyed is not a 'how to', but more of a 'how we did', "Bacon and Beans From a Goldpan". True story from a depression era couple who lived the life for 4 years straight. Their home was partially canvas and why they did not get eaten by bears, I will never know. The book is out of print but frequently on Amazon -- got my copy for $10. last year.

I'm sure others will be by shortly to add to your list.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you said you'll be in the Mother Load area but Jim Straight's books are excellent. Pertain mostly to working dry areas, however he is a mining engineer and covers alot of useful information. You can learn a bunch from them. G/L

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What midnight moon said....and I'll second Bacon and beans from a goldpan, the writing style is unique, but you wont want to put it down. I read it in two sittings and was sad when it was over.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Chris Ralph's articles are great!

A must have book is: "Tertiary Gravels of the Sierra Nevada" by Waldemar Lindgren.
Its about $ 20 new on Amazon. Make sure you get the folios with it.

If you love hydraulic pits, that's the book to have!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You've got some great recommendations so far.

May I make a suggestion that won't cost you a penny?

It's about some writings that are long enough to be a book, but they're not one yet. However, you may just find some tips you'll like, and you may find a few stories to give you an idea or two as well.

It's my main post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

I have another post on this thread on prospecting tips that you might be able to get a couple of things from too.

The other thing I'd do, if you're a visual learner, is surf Youtube videos on the subject, as there are many. Moreover, some of them are very good.

All the best,

Lanny

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
You've got some great recommendations so far.

May I make a suggestion that won't cost you a penny?

It's about some writings that are long enough to be a book, but they're not one yet. However, you may just find some tips you'll like, and you may find a few stories to give you an idea or two as well.

It's my main post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

I have another post on this thread on prospecting tips that you might be able to get a couple of things from too.

The other thing I'd do, if you're a visual learner, is surf Youtube videos on the subject, as there are many. Moreover, some of them are very good.

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny, your posts and threads and stories are GREAT!

You have made this forum a real treasure!

Keep up the great work!

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Try,Handbook for Prospectors by Richard Pearl or older editions by VonBernewitz.....also you can download for free a vast amount of mining books and reports from Google books.

OP
OP
C

Campngolf

Feb 4, 2014
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, your posts and threads and stories are GREAT!

You have made this forum a real treasure!

Keep up the great work!

+1.

Thanks for the recommendations. My daughter has been laughing at dad cause she's not used to seeing me read a book. That's how bad I have the fever.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Campngolf.

Underwater Sniping for Gold is a good one! My suggestion for next up would be "Fists Full of Gold" ... and I see you are onto that one already.

How about treating yourself to a subscription to ICMJ -- prospecting and mining journal. I ordered the print (cause I like magazines in my hands -- to read backwards or something like that :dontknow:). I tossed in the digital for just $4 more. Like $35 for both. Anyhow, Chris Ralph writes alot of articles for ICMJ. Ray Mills and Steve Herschbach also write for ICMJ -- they also post here on the boards. Great guys, great stuff.

One book I enjoyed is not a 'how to', but more of a 'how we did', "Bacon and Beans From a Goldpan". True story from a depression era couple who lived the life for 4 years straight. Their home was partially canvas and why they did not get eaten by bears, I will never know. The book is out of print but frequently on Amazon -- got my copy for $10. last year.

I'm sure others will be by shortly to add to your list.
I was in Amazon a couple of days ago looking to replace my (borrowed) lost edition of Bacon and Beans. I bought it new in 1978(?). The only thing I could find was the re-written and edited version. And the cheapest offering was about $38.00. I still haven't found a copy of the original version, by G. Coffee.

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was in Amazon a couple of days ago looking to replace my (borrowed) lost edition of Bacon and Beans. I bought it new in 1978(?). The only thing I could find was the re-written and edited version. And the cheapest offering was about $38.00. I still haven't found a copy of the original version, by G. Coffee.

Eagle -- keep an eye on Amazon. I watched for about a year and the origonal 'Bacon & Beans' would come and go and for the longest time they were $20. ea from like 5 different sellers. Then one day all sellers were offering them for $10, so I grabbed one. Then they were sold out. Months later there were several for $20 again. I was hoping they'd drop to $10, so I could get some to share. Like Woody86, when I finished, I was sad the story ended. I love that book. Keep watching, there will be more.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Chris Ralph's articles are great!

A must have book is: "Tertiary Gravels of the Sierra Nevada" by Waldemar Lindgren.
Its about $ 20 new on Amazon. Make sure you get the folios with it.

If you love hydraulic pits, that's the book to have!
Great book...I read the 1911 book and learned a lot...At that time you had to make an appointment at the Library to read it...Art

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about Karl von Muller's books ? I see they are getting good ratings from readers on prospecting forums. Sadly I haven't got any one of them . Some are out of print. Keep an eye on amazon .

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KVM's books are great. A bit dated, but an amazing amount of information. If you find his book on vibrating dry concentrators snatch it up in a hurry G/L

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also looking to find that one on vibrating dry (or wet) concentrator . As some reports on some online source the concentrator supposedly can be used wet if the material is slurried.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread