When do I submit a NOI or POO to the USFS or BLM?

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As miners we often hear the following:

"As a reminder, in order to work your mining claim, you will need to submit a NOI (notice of intent) and have an approved Plan of Operation (POO). Please work with our office to get an authorized Plan of Operations for your mining activities at your earliest convenience. Until you have an approved plan, any mining activities, associated equipment or occupancy of National Forest System lands is prohibited...... Or "BLM"

----------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------

Regardless of the local stay limit, an operator is not required to submit a notice of intent to conduct operations unless the locatable mineral prospecting, exploration or mining, and processing, and the reasonably incidental camping, might cause significant disturbance of NFS surface resources.

Moreover, as discussed above, an approved plan of operations is not required for locatable mineral prospecting, exploration or mining, and processing, and the reasonably incidental camping, unless those operations are likely to cause a significant disturbance of surface resources.

An operator, consequently, is not required to notify the Forest Service prior to conducting locatable mineral operations which involve occupancy of NFS lands providing that those operations meet two conditions: (1) The occupancy is reasonably incidental to locatable mineral prospecting, exploration, mining, or processing and (2) those proposed (or ongoing) operations, including such reasonably incidental occupancy, cumulatively will not cause (or are not causing) significant disturbance of NFS surface resources.

To the extent that respondents fear the Forest Service might cite an operator who is camping on NFS for the operator's failure to submit a notice of intent to operate when one is required, those fears are groundless. None of the prohibitions set forth in 36 CFR part 261, subpart A, including those adopted by this final rule, prohibit an action requiring a notice of intent to operate. Rather, the prohibitions applicable to occupancy of lands in conjunction with locatable mineral operations that require prior notice or approval apply when an operator acts ''without *** an operating plan when such authorization is required.'' For purposes of 36 CFR part 228, subpart A, Sec. 261.2 defines the term ''operating plan'' to mean a plan of operations that has been approved. There is no prohibition applicable to acting without a notice of intent to operate when it is required by 36 CFR part 228, subpart A.

----------------------------------------- ------------------------------------

So that is what is meant by "occupation" in the new (2008) regs. The Forest Service are stuck with it now, you can hold them to those definitions in a court of law. The courts can not allow "deference" to any other definition of what those regs mean.

Also by publishing those definitions in the Federal Register all Forest Service personnel are now put on actual and constructive notice of what those regs mean. No excuses.

Now do you can understand how important it is that you have written proof that the district rangers intend to enforce those regulations without regard to their actual meaning? Color of law. Intimidation and harassment.

Recently a miner submitted a NOI to the USFS and after 21 days the miner never received a response from the USFS to their NOI. After 21 days the agency would have had to respond. I'll post more info regarding this shortly.

Bejay

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
You got it goldenirishman!
If I may offer additional comment that I believe is beneficial. In addition to carrying a portfolio of all pertinent mining law/rules/regs/policies; (I store them in my lap top computer). Hard copies are extremely valuable to present to any agent you may have a disagreement with. This thread info can be saved into my files on my laptop. And now all this info is saved for future reference

I tend to act kindly when doing so; as I figure most gov employees kinda proceed with limited knowledge. I allow them the opportunity to read the docs and ASK if I am in error somewhere. If they point to something special, I usually have that data available also.....and can direct them to a better comprehension/understanding of their error.

Yes indeed Bejay. I keep all the files on a thumb drive (my computer is old as dirt and could die at any moment! ;) ) So I can print out replacement copies should I have to give a copy from the field box to a government employee that's in need of education on the limits of their authority and/or what the actual laws state.

Through the years I've had a few run ins with various law enforcement and have found that the best way to handle them it to be nice and try to keep things light. If pulled over for whatever reason, I roll down my window, poke my head out as they're approaching and jokingly ask them "What did I screw up on this time?" That usually catches them off guard and I've gotten out of many a ticket that way. I know that they're just TRYING to do their job and unless you catch one that's in a really bad mood they usually like keeping things as light as possible. NEVER get into an argument with them!!!!

Jeff

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for these posts...especially Clay and Hefty as what you found is particular to my situation. I will copy, print and add these to my "I am too legal book...see?" :evil5:
I can only hope I find as much gold as the book weighs, just under a pound:laughing7:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As to Jeff's last line in his post...

George Bernard Shaw
“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.”
― George Bernard Shaw
tags: bernard-shaw, irish, pigs, pointlessness

OP
OP
B

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As miners we often complain about how the greenies get into court and get all their costs paid for. One might consider the following:
Per "Jog':..... "It's all fine & dandy and you can agree with what has been conveyed in this thread, "BUT" then you have the district ranger who decides whether or not what you are doing is considered a significant disturbance in "HIS" eyes and he shuts you down because he doesn't want you doing anything on the so called PRECIOUS FEDERAL LAND."

Per "Clay"
Regarding the POO "The District Ranger must make a determination. That determination must be made after a study of the existing conditions on the ground and must contain expert opinions as well as a full EIS. Since the 9th Circuit decided that a determination must include consultation with other interested agencies and consideration of the ESA the whole thing becomes a big expensive production for the District Ranger."

If a District Ranger decides to do an in house evaluation of an NOI such as an EA (Environmental Assessment)....or anything less.....which is very cost effective for them. The "greenies" have learned that such a limited action such as an EA does not meet the criteria necessary for an action by the USFS or BLM; and thus take agencies like the USFS and BLM to court. By going to court and challenging the inequities of the EA (or anything less);.... which in the case of miners ends up leading to and requiring the POO determination;....... by going to court and challenging the agency on its inequities.... a court often (99.9% of the time) orders a full EIS....... and the cost of that is placed on the agency itself and NOT the miner. A BIG OUCH !

So what does that tell you? It says that a POO requires an EIS. If the miner IS meeting the criteria of significant....per the agency review of the NOI and the miner agrees, and accepts "that determination"' the cost of the EIS is placed on the miner. If the miner says: "wait a minute; you really failed to prove your case and challenges the agency" a judge will order the USFS to perform a complete (very costly) EIS....at THEIR (USFS or BLM) expense. But such a challenge must be done with merit and presented to a judge effectively. Capriccios actions by a Dist Ranger should be easy to recognize...IMHO. An agency must meet the letter of their own CFR's.

Something to consider. So small scale mining can easily be remedied when a NOI leads to a POO determination....and a Dist Ranger simply wants to stop mining because he/she does not like the activity on the public lands open to mineral entry . Gov can shoot themselves in the foot; even when they think they are too big for our shoes. The "greenies" learned to use this method effectively quite some time ago.

Bejay

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions