Beware Rattlers out on the NF American

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ran into one here on Sat. They are out there...

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
10151989_632362633501356_6140248901610401121_n.jpg

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks a little flat around the mid section. Estwing strikes again.....

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just about ran over this one Saturday as well.
Right in front of me crossing the road.

' CAM00224.jpg CAM00225.jpg

Couldn't get out of the truck fast enough with my camera to get a closer pic.
Did not want to chase it into the grass to get one either.
2 days before this I got my wife's snake shot for her .22 magnum revolver out.
Told her she needs to start carrying when out walking the dogs.

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Roadrunner What kind of rattler is that?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a month ago so young it couldn't even rattle at us...Keep your eyes on the ground.

Attachments

• claim work 023.jpg
    claim work 023.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 224

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Got two around my horse pens already, both yearlings and too dangerous to leave around family or animals

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time for snake gaters for sure. I see'm on/near the road I just run'm over and slam on the brakes for a snake skid mark-John

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Time for snake gaters for sure. I see'm on/near the road I just run'm over and slam on the brakes for a snake skid mark-John

Def have to skid em. Running em over just makes em mad.

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ran one over one time with the car, got out to finish it off and the thing was so pissed it chased me up the road. kept pelting it with gravel from the side of the pavement until I could find a suitable sized rock to stop it.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is the thing about them versus us. We have opposable thumbs. Them, not so much as shoulders....Hence the saying, "ol mr no shoulders" But, Mr. John Moses Browning sure lent us a hand with the 1911....

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Diamondback.

The rattlesnakes in northern california are called Northern Pacific Rattlesnakes. There are no Diamondbacks in California. Please remember that they do not want to bite you. It wastes venom on something that they can not eat. They will only bite a human when threatened. Without snakes we would be overrun with rats and mice.
However, they are tasty bbq'ed.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Western Diamondback is found in parts of socal.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They will only bite a human when threatened.

They will bite you if you step too close to them without realizing they're there.

I am no fan of people who go out of their way to kill them whenever they see them on property they don't even own, however property owners have different considerations. They're dangerous to stock, working animals and people.

Where I live, they grow to this size (two counties over)

snake.jpg

That one was pushing 7' (erroneously reported as 15' on the internet) which is huge.

Never seen one quite that big, bit do see 4-5 footers with semi-regularity.
5' of wild rattlesnake isn't a pleasant sight when you're outside in teh orange grove.

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They will bite you if you step too close to them without realizing they're there.

I am no fan of people who go out of their way to kill them whenever they see them on property they don't even own, .
I have a rule. If I am going to be in that area, as in for the day, or many times in the near future, I will kill the snake. Only the poisonous ones. For instance, if I show up to an area to let's say prospect for the day, and I see a snake, then I will kill it. My philosophy is that the snake you let go now will hit you later on. Usually, I have kids with me, or am distracted with the task at hand, and can't take the chance. For instance, on Sat, I was hauling gear to the truck. I had a good half dozen trips to make. So, I have to pass on the trail twelve times. On the first one, there is a rattler in the trail. Now, knowing that I have to pass that snake that many times, I am going to kill it. Am I on his territory? Yes. Am I going to take the chance that he gets irritated and hits me one of the twelve times I have to walk by, no way, jose. Am I going to pull over on the interstate to kill a snake? no. Have I seen many that I only admired, absolutely. Up until recently, I had two boas in my house. I have a lot of respect and awe for them, but I have more respect for the awesome power that they have. Last time I took my daughter out, and really, every time I take one of the kids into the desert, we have the snake conversation before we arrive. If safe, I will pull over on the road to show them live and dead ones so they know what to look for. You have to remember that we have rattlers here that are territorital as well. They will actually chase you out of their territory. Not arguing with you, just letting you know how I feel about them.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
You have to remember that we have rattlers here that are territorital as well. They will actually chase you out of their territory. Not arguing with you, just letting you know how I feel about them.

Snakes will NOT chase you. The reason they have a rattle is to tell you hay I'm here stay away from me. They will bite if threatened or provoked. But, like I said that do not want to waste venom on something they can not eat. Again, they will NOT chase you down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions