Gold recovery help

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Cube, Royal Mini Highbanker, Angus Mackirk sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok I found an area that was caliche Sorry if I spelled it wrong. And I am finding some gold in the over burden as well as when I break of the caliche I find gold underneath. No pickers yet but for me finding small stuff 5-15 pieces per pan is good. I have only ran 4 buckets so far sampling. My question, should I try crushing the caliche up and panning that as well? I hope the images of the area up loads

photo (2).JPG photo.JPG

Upvote 0

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Ahhh caliche soil....Mother Natures own version of "Concrete"
Tuff stuff to crush....

OP
OP
F

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually it usually is but this stuff wasn't bad I was pleasantly surprised. I only wish I had a vac. I am gathering the parts to make one but haven't bought the main one yet the blower

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
A small gas powered impact mill would make short work of that stuff. However with the cost of one you'd need to test it to see if it would pay or not. I'm often shocked at how much they charge for even some of the simplest equipment!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caliche usually isn't worth the damn hassel. Usually. You never know, that may be where most of your values are. Another trick is get an old used cement mixer and throw in steel balls and stuff to make a giant rock tumbler. G/L

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never worked that type of material but I see a lot of small cracks and if there is room for that root there is room for gold to get down in them, I would really work those out & I think a small shop vac and Generator would be the ticket along with a good pry bar. Go till you cant go no more. Looks like fun stuff....

OP
OP
F

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is fun. I can only get out once or twice a month but am going to hit this again in 2 weeks. I am working on getting shop vac assembled which will make it a lot easier. when I get a chance I will download some pics of the gold that I have so far. Not has much as I have seen by others on this forum but works for me.

OP
OP
F

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or you could bring it to me LOL!

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Around here (Wickenburg AZ), I have found some caliche that has gold in it, generally the same areas that the overburden carries gold. Don't forget that the caliche is mineralization of older deposited material (calcium, iron and stuff is what binds the caliche together), and it seems logical that a river or wash that deposited gold recently would have deposited gold in the sediments that became caliche, before it became caliche. I just add some water and vinegar to a bucket of caliche that's been crushed to break all the small particles apart from each other that weren't broken during crushing.

OP
OP
F

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My reply didn't post. Thanks for the info I should be able to break it apart this stuff isn't as tough has other caliche I have come across

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you belong to a club and are out on club claims, or going out to places on your own.
I live over here by Queen Valley.
You could use a cordless shop vac like a dewalt for starters. I know a guy selling one for $70.
Also check craigslist.
A couple extra batteries, a solar charger and a small inverter and you have it made.
Plus they will have more suction than a home made one.

OP
OP
F

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
RR yes I am a GPAA member. Thanks for the offer, I have just finished making my gas vac thanks to AZViPERS plans. I am going out there next weekend to try it out but so far the home test are promising.

I was looking at getting a small portable generator and looking for one of those Dewalt's though. Harbor Freight has a small 2 stroke generator for under $ 100.00 on sale right now. We will have to meet some time maybe you can give me some tips. What clubs are you affiliated with?

OP
OP
F

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
JC LOL! that would work I just don't know how I would get it there. The Geo Tracker might struggle

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caliche - gotta luv that stuff ! Southeast of Lovelock Nevada is the American canyon, where in late 1800's, a large group of Chinese miners dug numerous pits to 40 ft. in caliche. The state mining reports tell us that over 3 million was extracted from the lower layers near, and on bedrock. FYI...

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going to join the gpaa next week.
Was going to join the superstition club from Promack,but was told its not that great.
To many talkers and not do ers.
But at $25 a year, maybe it is worth it if the claims are not loaded with people.

My boss just bought a car for me to use and purchase from him if I want,so now I have a good vehicle once again.
My truck broke down last month. May not fix it.
Needs motor work.

I also have a Whites Goldmaster MD.
Maybe we can meet up some where and Ill bring it.
To a claim that is.

RR yes I am a GPAA member. Thanks for the offer, I have just finished making my gas vac thanks to AZViPERS plans. I am going out there next weekend to try it out but so far the home test are promising.

I was looking at getting a small portable generator and looking for one of those Dewalt's though. Harbor Freight has a small 2 stroke generator for under $ 100.00 on sale right now. We will have to meet some time maybe you can give me some tips. What clubs are you affiliated with?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
RR That sounds like a plan. I like the GPAA just because I have so many options but the meetings once a month are in PHX so it never fits into my schedule. I did meet a guy who is in the Superstition Club and he likes it and showed me some nice gold. But I am with you if their claims are loaded with people it wouldn't be fun.

I have only been to the 5 or so claims up by Wickenberg that the GPAA has and yes there are people and Road Runner has a lot of claims adjacent to the GPAA but I usually get away from everyone and I don't own a 4 wheel drive so I am limited and aside from seeing a few UTV's once in awhile I am pretty much alone alone. That being said if you ever got in trouble there is always someone about 2-3 miles away.

OP
OP
F

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FP Good info I have to assume there should be something locked up in the stuff it only makes sense. I am getting color in the overburden so this weekend I am going to try and hit this stuff hard and bring some of the Caliche home to work on it. I will try and post some pics when I am done. Like I said compared to some the lucky SOB's on here its not much but it makes me happy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread