Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fairly new to prospecting, Every time I'm bored I metal detect my yard, just to play around a few minutes at a time. There is a section in my back yard where the metal detector goes off all over the place. I can't ever seem to pinpoint what is making it go off. I can almost walk the lines of this area where the constant beeping fades away. So, I'm thinking it's some kind of fill from somewhere or from deeper soil.(if that sentence made any sense) So, today I'm sitting there thinking......."I know, I'll pan some of that soil to see whats in it!" What I found was black sand and what looks like super fine gold in just a few hand fulls. Now, I don't think this is the cause for the metal detector to act up, but maybe it's concentrated minerals in the soil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All it takes is a cheap 30 power jeweler's loupe.
You'll know if it's gold.
1397242_577591645628279_247158244_o.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It sounds like the ground on your' property is highly mineralized not only with Black Sand and Gold but many other minerals that will cause your' metal detector to go crazy. From your explanation of where you live, you are smack-dab in pretty much the Southwest portion of Georgia's Gold Belt which extends on West and Southwest into East Central Alabama. Therefore, if there is Gold on your' property, then you are sitting on it's source or the source is nearby. It may be hard to determine the exact source as the topography of the land has changed much over millions of years as well as has changed due to construction and flooding. If you actually found Gold in just a few handfuls of soil, then you may have lots of Gold and bigger Gold the deeper and deeper you go. If you hit bedrock with Quartz veins, then you may have hit the motherlode at least on your' property.

Frank

Georgia Gold Belt.jpg

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nitric, I had a CZ6a for many years, and spent considerable
time coin hunting with it. When a CZ starts going off like that,
it is often due to a field of hot rocks, or rocks that contain more
iron than the machine is ground balanced for. Sometimes when
this was an issue when I'd work a playground or field that had
been renovated, as they often bring in loads of fill material
that has a completely different mineral composition than the
resident soils, and usually higher in iron content.

So, all that said to say that the ground you're hearing all the
chatter from could very well be foreign material taken from a
gravel pit or ?, and used to fill your backyard during construction.

With the high iron content it very well could hold some small gold.

Can you post a pic of what you've found?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to set up a panning station in the back yard for fun. Many companies don't bother removing the gold from the gravel, they just screen it to size and ship it off with all of the minerals still inside. There is a lot of gold at a lot of those gravel plants and now it sounds like you will have some fun getting some gold at home on those rainy days :)

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric ,if you've got a woman that likes rocks and playing in the dirt ,do not let her go!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nitric,

The Georgia Gold Belt is pretty much the same as the Carolina Slate Gold Belt and may be just the Southwestward extension of it. During the upheavals that created the Super Continent of Pangea (collision of tectonic plates, forcing and volcanoes) and then separated it into separate continents, Gold which was mainly liquid at the time, flowed into and through cracks in the rocks and Quartz and slowly solidified. These flows occurred all along the Appalachians and especially the Blue Ridge and East of the Blue Ridge with occurrences of Gold deposits from the Carolinas Northward to New York and beyond and Southwestward into at least Central Alabama.

Depending upon when your' home and I assume others were built in your subdivision and who built your' home, you may or may not be able to find out if the material (soil) came from elsewhere and where exactly it came from. It is worth a shot but don't hold your breath! Understand that the material that was used to fill your' lot, might have came from another part of the subdivision or from many miles away. If the material is not from your subdivision and you find out where, good luck on ever getting permission to prospect on the propert from where it came! Also, while panning around your' yard, it would be a good idea to check out some of those pieces of Quartz with a Gem Loupe to see if they contain any visible Gold. Even if no Gold is visible, they still may have some trapped inside or it may be almost mircroscopic and you will need to crush some specimens and then pan out the material to see if the Quartz rocks contain Gold.

Good luck!

Frank

Portadrillmini

May 8, 2013
Blairsville, Ga 30512
Detector(s) used
MineLab Eureka Gold - 15" RockCrusher- PORTADRILLMINI Gold Driller Auger sampler Unit -Gold Lab Clean Gold Concentrator-5" Dredge-Keen A52 Sluice- BlueBowl Cons clean-up - Microwave Gold Kiln
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Roast it,.. grind it,.. then smelt your cons with borax and see if that gives you any bigger beads of " color" .. this will also burn off any pyrite, mica, fools gold type issues,, GOLD BEADS.JPG PORTADRILLMINI GOLD DRILLER www.portadrillmini.com.JPG out of the question...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread