Cooking Gold?

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,

A question that is looming around my head has been about cooking gold. I have seen on the tv shows how they have done it. I do know why they do it too, but I have tried it twice. Both times have been scary for me. Considering the amount of gold I get every little bit is important. When I tried it the small gold got hot and it melted. I figured it will do it otra vez. The second time I did it some pieces melted. The question I have is when do you cook gold, how you do it and how hot it should be. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If what you have melts in a pan on the stove it is not gold. Gold melts somewhere near 1,950 degrees. The reason they cook the gold is simply to dry it out before they weigh it.
PS: If you have too much water in the pan it is possible that a steam explosion may blow some gold out of the pan.
PPS: If you suspect you have any mercury coated gold do not try to dry it with heat. Mercury will vaporize and the fumes are extremely toxic.

Last edited:

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed......... I was going to say that is one hell of a stove.
It's not gold.
:)

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stay away from cooking unless it's Ribeyes on the Grill. Then you know who to call.......

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are just wanting to dry your gold out, put it into
a small, clean container and try to drain off as much water
as possible. If you're worried about losing gold, then do it
over a pan.

Then just set the container up in a window that gets Sun,
and within a couple hours you'll have nice, dry gold with
no risk attached.

OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the responses. The other day I tried a new method of just taking most of the water out and put it in a small bowl. Just waited a night and it dried out. Just wanted to know about the whole cooking process.

rebel003

Feb 17, 2011
Winston, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
a lot of folks cook their super heavy black sands to fracture and release fine gold. never do this inside your house or in anything you will use to cook food on or in. micro amounts of mercury could be present.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very simple method, if your using a snuffer bottle, dump into a NON-Teflon sauce pan (it helps to swirl in the bottle first and dump it while its still swirling).

CAUTION: Its best to use a new sauce pan so there is no chance of oil contamination.
DOUBLE CAUTION: DO NOT EVER USE SAID PAN FOR COOKING FOOD...you never know what may of been on the gold...mercury...cyanide...who knows...play it safe

Use the sauce pan as a gold pan and work the gold to one side.
Slowly tip pan away from the gold and use snuffer bottle to suck up remaining water.
If you have to much water you may need to empty the bottle first
CAUTION:
Let snuffer bottle set still for a second and look at bottom to make sure all the gold is out before dumping.
Suck up remaining water.
Turn on stove to medium heat.
Let the pan heat up 'till the water evaps
Let pan cool off
Use a brush and small funnel to get gold into your bottle.
Your done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread