Anyone Here Have Any Experience In Mining Perlite ??

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Jog,

Never mined the stuff, but do know you can buy a huge bag of
it for about $15 from most large nurseries. I would seriously doubt
there would be any profit at all in a small scale operation.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a large and growing world market for perlite. That 15 pound bag of perlite at the nursery was expanded (by heat) from about 1 pound of raw perlite. It's mostly used as a filter agent although it's most common household use is as a planting amendment.

Raw perlite brings about $50 a ton on the market. There is money to be made in perlite mining. The deposits are pretty easy to mine with common earth moving equipment but because the final expansion of the perlite ore is highly dependent on bulk heating (1600 degrees F) the market is heavily influenced by the cost of fuel. The US is the second largest producer in the world.

A "small" deposit would be several acres.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked into it years back - I concluded you need both a fairly large deposit and a processing facility close by to make it worthwhile. If you do become a Perlite King, I've got a property for you, cheap, lol.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a link to one that is around my area.
You can see the pit, then across highway 60 you can see the plant.
They only have 4 trucks, and 1 loader.

You can google any more info maybe. Just put in Perlite Mine, Pinal Az. It is outside of Superior.
Other than that, if you have any specific questions, I might get someone you can talk to by going to the office.

Perlite Mine AZ

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Considering that the value by volume is comparable to topsoil and you should realize that a small scale operation wont pay the cost of fuel. You could actually make better money recycling beer cans from the highway median.

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A pic from inside the mine at Superior. It is closed now.

Attachments

• Bayy and Tj examine the mine..png
    Bayy and Tj examine the mine..png
    314.2 KB · Views: 215

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Considering that the value by volume is comparable to topsoil and you should realize that a small scale operation wont pay the cost of fuel. You could actually make better money recycling beer cans from the highway median.

Topsoil sells for around $12 - $20 a yard processed retail. Raw perlite sells for around $50 a ton unprocessed wholesale. A ton of perlite is less than a yard. A yard of unprocessed perlite would sell for around $60, about 6 times of the price of wholesale topsoil.

That's a lot of beer cans Bonaro. :laughing7:

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not alot around where i live. all we do here is eat, hunt, and drink beer. and the occasional prospect.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have contacted a local company who mines Perlite about a 4 to 5 hr drive from my find and will test it for free, it appears there are different grades and not all of it is worth mining. Well worth the test, can't beat the price.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Yes" That is how I have located the perlite, If I can locate a buyer for the apache tears I could do well just off of them. The ground is black with them and they range from half inch up to almost two inch. Largest patch I have found to date.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha - I've got 3 quart jars of them tumble-polished from my perlite deposit (miles from nowhere in northern Nevada) Congrats on your find. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I packed home a five gallon bucket & only spent about a half hour cherry picking the larger ones. I took a half inch classifier and drug it along through about 3" of the top soil and classified about on the average 100 per scoop, about three bigger than one & a half inch per classifier scoop. I am in the process of polishing some right now.

coyotegal

Greenie
Dec 6, 2013
Copper Corridor, Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
into the spiral.jpg There are also different grades of Apache Tears. From what I understand, Superior, AZ and another place somewhere in Africa are where the highest grade of tears can be found. Not sure what constitutes the grade of an Apache Tear. That being said, the Apache Tear got it's name from a mountain that overlooks Superior called the 'Apache Leap'. The mountains original name was "Big Picacho" (though I did see it called 'Bid Picacho' on a very old map of the area some time ago) but it's name was changed to 'Apache Leap' after an event occurred in the late 1800's between the Calvary and the Apache Indians who lived in the area. After that event, the Apache Tear legend was born. What I'm getting at is that though one could consider all obsidian nodules to be Apache Tears, in my opinion, technically, the only place Apache Tears should be found is at the base of the Apache Leap. At least, that's how I see it.... I know it would make me mad to buy some 'Apache Tears' then find out they originated from somewhere other than Superior, AZ. Of course, I have picked and sold tons of them over the years in lots from anywhere of 1/2 lb on Ebay to hundreds of pounds at one time to a bulk buyer, so I am a bit biased...8-)..........sorry for the derail but I had to put my two cents in since I consider myself an expert :headbang: on Apache Tears...lol

metal door.jpg cave face.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread