Help. My son and I just started Metal Detecting.

Jul 19, 2014
Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's SGT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my son and I just bought two metal detectors... We are having a tough time finding rules and regulations on where to metal detect and where to go that is close to us. we are in Mesa Arizona. There are the Superstition Mountains and the whole mountain range in our back yard. Looking for a couple things, possibly people to show us the ropes and even detect with. Looking for maps where mining and gold prospecting it is legal for us to go on and pan etc. "Locations". So many people have givin me advice about which club to join but there are thousands of clubs. if someone can just guide us to where a couple places we can go where we will not be trespassing or information leading to a great location would be helpful thanks. If there is someone who lives close where we could tag along. .we have metal detectors, some picks and shovels, pan....but that's pretty much it. nothing too extreme as far as tools go. Also I'm having trouble getting Park Rangers of this city of Mesa to call me back about digging up coins and jewelry in Mesa parks, maybe I'll just have an excavation extravaganza and then they might show up with some answers. I called National Forest Park Rangerstoday to ask him if I can metal detect and take a little bit, nothing too extreme. the guy said you metal detect and dig but there's no gold in the mountains. I thought it was funny as there's a massive gold mine and gold field across the street. I should just go metal detecting pan for gold on his doorstep. I need information on metal detecting gold panning is a job in itself. I contacted the state of Arizona mining and they will call me tomorrow hopefully I can get some answers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Check for clubs in your area. GPAA has clubs there for sure but their web site has changed and many are disappointed with them on this site.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuggetshooter.com is a arizona based website and absolutely full of great az folks who are ALWAYS willing to help with current local info. BUT you never posted what detectors you bought as az is HOT HOT HOT grounds and el cheapo are purt' near worthless,well almost everywhere really-John

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see you haqve both whites md.
I have a Goldmaster v/sat myself.
PM me your phone number and I will call you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread