Curious as to what this is...

lokiie1984

Jun 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2014-07-24 02.51.09.jpg 2014-07-24 02.51.28.jpg 2014-07-24 02.51.44.jpg 2014-07-24 02.52.02.jpg 2014-07-24 02.52.14.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality.

I had ordered a bag of paydirt out of Arizona and he sent this rock with it. So i was curious as to what it is. I don't know if its hard rock ore or just a stone he happened to toss in the bag. it weighs about 3.16 ounces and while it has a sorta salty look to it, it has no salty taste.

Upvote 0

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1027641 View attachment 1027642 View attachment 1027643 View attachment 1027644 View attachment 1027645

Sorry for the picture quality.

I had ordered a bag of paydirt out of Arizona and he sent this rock with it. So i was curious as to what it is. I don't know if its hard rock ore or just a stone he happened to toss in the bag. it weighs about 3.16 ounces and while it has a sorta salty look to it, it has no salty taste.

It looks like a piece of quartz. Not sure why they would send you that too.. Only way to tell if it has gold in it is to crush it up and pan it.

OP
OP
L

lokiie1984

Jun 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he was just being nice and tossed it in. It was in a separate bag. He also sent me some cheaper classifiers and stuff, plus some crushed gold ore to look at.

I plan to just give the rock to my girlfriend, she likes rocks and its definitely different then anything we have seen before.

3xflyfisher

Nov 1, 2005
In my RV, where ever it may stop!
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N8 is right, it looks like quartz. However it appears there is a fair amount of mineralization and/or alteration in the specimen. Iron oxides (the orange) is obviously present and maybe a few other minerals may be there too. It could be a piece of low grade ore from AZ.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I plan to just give the rock to my girlfriend, she likes rocks and its
definitely different then anything we have seen before.

Ya gotta be careful giving rocks to girlfriends, so be sure she
knows it's quartz and not diamond! (They get funny ideas rolling
around in their heads..lol)

Tried to fix up the pic, but there wasn't much I could do to
sharpen it up.

2014-07-24 02.52.02-2.jpg

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man you gotta be careful taste testing rocks... :)

Reminds me of Yukon Cornelius. Couple pokes in the dirt with his pick then he tastes it rofl.
yukon-cornelius.jpg

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It looks like a piece of quartz. Not sure why they would send you that too.. Only way to tell if it has gold in it is to crush it up and pan it.

*vote* crush it

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reminds me of Yukon Cornelius. Couple pokes in the dirt with his pick then he tastes it rofl.
View attachment 1027813

Ya know P70..I look at Yukon Cornelius, then your avatar, then Yukon again
and began to notice there's an incredible resemblance.

Y'all related to Rudolph?

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Give it to your wife, take it back in a week and crush it. If there's gold, give her the gold. It's a win win. She's thankful for the rock, and more thankful for the gold. And you get to beat the mess out of it, so no one looses!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Give it to your wife, take it back in a week and crush it. If there's gold,
give her the gold. It's a win win. She's thankful for the rock, and more thankful for the gold. And you
get to beat the mess out of it, so no one looses!

I believe he mentioned he was going to give it to his girlfriend,
so if you know his wife (if there is one) best keep it to yerself
or we're all in trouble! :laughing7:

OP
OP
L

lokiie1984

Jun 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been with her for almost 10 years (not living together) so she may as well be my wife. But no, i don't plan to crush it, if there is gold in it, well then she now has a very expensive rock to look at. There could be gold inside but i kinda doubt it's anything worth the effort to grind the rock up.

Also it was in a separate bag from the dirt i ordered so it wasn't used to add weight or anything. Otherwise the dirt was actually one of my best orders, had a 92% RoI with gold in every pan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread