Cache Creek Being Shut Down

Sluiceguy42

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cache creek colorado is one of the few places you can prospect and pan for free. Randy, the camp host is a really nice guy, who helps anyone he can and teaches them how to pan or sluice. His dog was taken by the BLM for biting a guy that was giving him trouble. The next day, he was removed from his duties for no plain reason. Rumors that the BLM was going to shut down the prospecting area and divert the stream illegaly were confirmed.
Signs all over the camp warn prospectors not to hurt the boreal toad, which lives in high elevation watershed areas such as cache creek. If the water was diverted the boreal toads that were warned so agressivly not to hurt, will be all be wiped out in cache creek. Not only will the BLM hypocryticly kill the toads, the area will be shut down to recreational prospecting, and hurt the small buisinesses that rely on tourism for there livelyhood. Make your voice be heard and call the BLM, so that cache creek will remain open to recreational prospecting.
I will be at Cache Creek for four more days so I won't be able to respond to any comments. Thanks for your support.

Upvote 0

justbecause

Greenie
Aug 14, 2014
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
mxer47, that's my point...........it doesn't need to be like that up there. This is the "Crap" that's going to get it shut down. Because the BLM will just get tired of dealing with it. I know, they tell me how tired that are of dealing with it.

THIS IS TO EVERYONE. Here's a tip. The man told me right to my face. The Department of Int Law enforcement officer Steve Cunningham

"You can violate just about any rule up here, short of "Physical assault", and as long as your nice and show a little courtesy, anyone can talk their way out of any citation with me. The only real issue I have up here is people controlling their dogs, and anyone that infringes on another persons right to enjoy this land." And that's my hand to God.

Those 2 sentences, if followed. Could solve every problem at Cache Creek. (The water is another mess, lol)

Since I posted this.................8/18/14 there was no water running.

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wait, you mean the creek had no water in it?
Please take some pictures and post them up.
Do you think its the mine above the camp?

justbecause

Greenie
Aug 14, 2014
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm being told that it is the mine upstream. They're trying to refill their "Pond". But that's all I know at this time. But to get to "Running water", you have to walk about 100 yards.

OP
OP
S

Sluiceguy42

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alright, sorry for the confusion. First, just to clear a little thing up, I WAS there when he was officially removed. When the six guys came, and I most certainly don't remember him yelling. Second, I stand corrected about the dog. And "Tim" can still come to Cache Creek? Once again sorry for the confusion.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey JustBecause, can you comment on a rumor that one of the prospecting clubs is trying to buy part of Cache creek?

justbecause

Greenie
Aug 14, 2014
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sluiceguy42,

Randy kept his cool when all of that was going on up there, I was 10ft (walking away from him) when the guy asked the cop what Randy had did, but it was behind me and I kept walking. If you was there for that, you seen me walking right in the mix.......But it was the phone calls after.

justbecause

Greenie
Aug 14, 2014
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
KevinInColorado.........
Nothings been said to me. And talk to them (BLM) a lot. But last year I got to look first hand at their maps of the claims up around Cache Creek. There was only one open claim, but I'm sure it's been snatched up if anyone had really wanted it. We didn't jump on it because of all the water issues up there, and distance to the stream. I'm not saying I know for sure or not, but I would have thought since we put the host up there, they kind of keep me current on things. But if a "Club" is trying to buy? How would the BLM know until the guy filed the claim in their name?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
KevinInColorado......... Nothings been said to me. And talk to them (BLM) a lot. But last year I got to look first hand at their maps of the claims up around Cache Creek. There was only one open claim, but I'm sure it's been snatched up if anyone had really wanted it. We didn't jump on it because of all the water issues up there, and distance to the stream. I'm not saying I know for sure or not, but I would have thought since we put the host up there, they kind of keep me current on things. But if a "Club" is trying to buy? How would the BLM know until the guy filed the claim in their name?
Yes, I would think you'd hear!

In this case it wouldn't be a claim as Cache creek itself is acquired land and so is not claimable by its nature.

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but I have to disagree with your post. My 7yr old daughter & I spent 2 days at Cache Creek last weekend and Dave was very helpful and always around to answer any questions we had (being newbies & all). He was very friendly and we felt more than welcome there. On our arrival he introduced us to some of the others and walked us to a place to start digging. Dave even went to the effort to help us move our tent from one location to another. Kind of a hidden area that he pointed out to us which was much better than our previous spot. Every morning he greeted the both of us and wished us luck. He showed us many techniques on panning and prospecting in general. We found a rock with gold embedded in it & he took the time to examine it very closely for us & I could tell he was genuinely interested. At one point the water levels began to drop & he got on the phone with BLM right away to find out the reason behind it which he explained was a landowner upstream. I'm pretty sure he's not the same guy diverting the water because he was obviously very upset this was happening. I feel he went above and beyond the entire time we were there. And as far as his dogs being "out of control".......they were both the size of a mini football & followed him everywhere. It wasn't as if they were running wild or even a threat to anyone. Several times my daughter asked me to stop digging so we could go see the dogs again. I was very comfortable letting her play with them. I'm already planning my next trip there mainly because of all that Dave did for us.

I seem to recall in talking with some others there that there were two Daves - one, an older larger fellow who I thought I was told was the "old host" when I was there (summer of 2013). The few interactions I had with him were less than pleasant, including one where he complained about all of the people digging in "his" spot (as in there were people in ear-shot of him). The other Dave was middle aged and skinnier, and only had 1 dog when I met him (Ladybug I'm pretty sure) who was incapable (due to both size and temperament) of attacking anything. This Dave was a FANTASTIC help to me and the friends/family I brought up there, often pointing us to good spots and offering us gear if we left it behind (buckets, shovels, pans, a sluice once, etc.). In fact, he was so helpful that before I lost my job up there, my wife and I were going to get him a gift certificate from the Roc Doc to show our appreciation.

justbecause

Greenie
Aug 14, 2014
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BLM seeks comment on preliminary environmental assessment for recreational placer activities at Cache Creek

CANON CITY, Colo. – The Bureau of Land Management Royal Gorge Field Office is seeking public comments on a preliminary environmental assessment and business plan for recreational placer activities at Cache Creek.

The preliminary EA identifies an overall strategy for managing recreational placer activities at Cache Creek. The proposed alternative seeks to reduce impacts to sensitive resources and address health and human safety concerns through a permit system that would allow for a wider variety of placer activities while putting protection measures in place. The BLM is also considering a fee to aid in managing this resource. The preliminary environmental assessment can be found here: http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/rgfo/minerals/locatable_minerals/cache_creek.html.

Over the past several years, recreational placer activities at Cache Creek have increased dramatically. Greater visitation has led to user conflicts and damage to the area’s natural resources, prompting the BLM and stakeholders to take a look at recreation use on the parcel and develop a strategy for moving forward.

This comment period will run from Dec. 5, 2014, to Jan. 9, 2015. Comments concerning the proposed action, alternatives and identification of environmental issues are most helpful. For additional information or to submit a comment, please contact Kalem Lenard at 719-269-8538 or email comments to [email protected]. Keep up with Royal Gorge Field Office planning efforts at http://blm.gov/3zld.

Before including your address, phone number, e-mail address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, you should be aware that your entire comment—including your personal identifying information—may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from public review, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.

###

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread