Cache Creek Being Shut Down

Sluiceguy42

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cache creek colorado is one of the few places you can prospect and pan for free. Randy, the camp host is a really nice guy, who helps anyone he can and teaches them how to pan or sluice. His dog was taken by the BLM for biting a guy that was giving him trouble. The next day, he was removed from his duties for no plain reason. Rumors that the BLM was going to shut down the prospecting area and divert the stream illegaly were confirmed.
Signs all over the camp warn prospectors not to hurt the boreal toad, which lives in high elevation watershed areas such as cache creek. If the water was diverted the boreal toads that were warned so agressivly not to hurt, will be all be wiped out in cache creek. Not only will the BLM hypocryticly kill the toads, the area will be shut down to recreational prospecting, and hurt the small buisinesses that rely on tourism for there livelyhood. Make your voice be heard and call the BLM, so that cache creek will remain open to recreational prospecting.
I will be at Cache Creek for four more days so I won't be able to respond to any comments. Thanks for your support.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• WHISKEYTOWN MINING REGS.JPG
    WHISKEYTOWN MINING REGS.JPG
    747.5 KB · Views: 132

chapow1

Tenderfoot
Jul 14, 2014
Gothenburg, NE
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,

Garrett Pinpointer,

36" Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda bumping again but here is an update.
Kevin, you said the stream was diverted last year or so, but that was illegally done. Where it was diverted was on the private property of a former army colonel, I cant think of his name. It was diverted by a guy named Dave. When Randy the host was kicked out of his position, guess who became the new host? Dave did. While Randy was out all day helping the newbies I only saw Dave twice. His dogs are out of control, and is he very unfriendly.
The stream luckily has not been diverted yet.
Another thing you can do is call the BLM and complain about the new host Dave, and that Randy actually did his job and should be made host again.
And to clear up the mine diversion, while i was there, I gathered that the diversion did not affect the placer area, or was fixed. If the mine on lost canyon road is the one you are taking about, it is for sale now, so shouldn't have anything to do with anything.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with your post. My 7yr old daughter & I spent 2 days at Cache Creek last weekend and Dave was very helpful and always around to answer any questions we had (being newbies & all). He was very friendly and we felt more than welcome there. On our arrival he introduced us to some of the others and walked us to a place to start digging. Dave even went to the effort to help us move our tent from one location to another. Kind of a hidden area that he pointed out to us which was much better than our previous spot. Every morning he greeted the both of us and wished us luck. He showed us many techniques on panning and prospecting in general. We found a rock with gold embedded in it & he took the time to examine it very closely for us & I could tell he was genuinely interested. At one point the water levels began to drop & he got on the phone with BLM right away to find out the reason behind it which he explained was a landowner upstream. I'm pretty sure he's not the same guy diverting the water because he was obviously very upset this was happening. I feel he went above and beyond the entire time we were there. And as far as his dogs being "out of control".......they were both the size of a mini football & followed him everywhere. It wasn't as if they were running wild or even a threat to anyone. Several times my daughter asked me to stop digging so we could go see the dogs again. I was very comfortable letting her play with them. I'm already planning my next trip there mainly because of all that Dave did for us.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last I knew, the hosts were volunteers so we should all appreciate whatever they are able to do. Sounds like you had a really good day with Dave, great to hear!

OP
OP
S

Sluiceguy42

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting post chapow1, while I was there, his dogs were running away from him constantly and getting lost. Did he have a leash for them while you were there?
He didn't say anything to me while I was there, and I didn't see him help anybody. Maybe he finally figured out what being host is all about. How shallow did the stream drop?

Last edited:

justbecause

Greenie
Aug 14, 2014
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay.............Randy.
What "most" people see is friendly and helpful.

What people didn't see (That got him replaced)...............
Letting family members stay past the 2 week limit (1 1/2 months, BLM violation)
He's "Dog" didn't just bite one person, it bit 2. And never has anyone said that the guy was giving him problems (Maybe that's what he's saying now)
He's brother came out there and started a fist fight with another family member. (Had they not been there past the 2 week limit it wouldn't have happened.
He's brother came back out there after the fight. But I'm sure Randy didn't tell people that his brother is on the sex offender registry (Feel free to look it up, Tim Augustine, it's public record). Knowing that, how many kids have you seen there? And the person "Tim" raped was Randy's little girl (again fact), and Randy welcomes him around your kids and family members?

There's A LOT more to the story other than what Randy is leading people to believe.

All of this was reported to the BLM by the County Sheriff. And all of this came out in a matter of 5 days.

When Randy was contacted to let him know there was a problem, Randy's response was screaming and yelling. He said "I'm going to sue" "You can't remove me" "I have a petition with 2000 names demanding that I be the camp host" "I'll have people go file complaints" "You can't do that".............This went on for a few before he was just hung up on. Because of Randy's unwillingness to listen, he never listened long enough to hear why he was being replaced. To this day, Randy still thinks he was "Released" because his brother and cousin got into the fight.

Oh, and just because I'm on here.........Rumors of Cache Creek closing, are just that, rumors. Not true. In fact (hoped this year, didn't happen) The BLM is considering some small battery operated recalculation units next year.

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually the ranger gave you a break as he could have easily wrote ya up a nice big'ol fat arse ticket as permit required and only a single trowel allowed EVER. Nuttn' else. Color yourself grateful for the break from the 'Nice Ranger"-John

John, I greatly respect you but we were only using small Jobe scoops (Much less than the 4"x8" blade max) and regular 14" Garrett Gold Pans and everyone had panning permits, we were 100% in compliance with the regulations laid out on our permits and the article that you linked for us.

delnorter: Of course we kept it. :)

OP
OP
S

Sluiceguy42

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay.............Randy.
What "most" people see is friendly and helpful.

What people didn't see (That got him replaced)...............
Letting family members stay past the 2 week limit (1 1/2 months, BLM violation)
He's "Dog" didn't just bite one person, it bit 2. And never has anyone said that the guy was giving him problems (Maybe that's what he's saying now)
He's brother came out there and started a fist fight with another family member. (Had they not been there past the 2 week limit it wouldn't have happened.
He's brother came back out there after the fight. But I'm sure Randy didn't tell people that his brother is on the sex offender registry (Feel free to look it up, Tim Augustine, it's public record). Knowing that, how many kids have you seen there? And the person "Tim" raped was Randy's little girl (again fact), and Randy welcomes him around your kids and family members?

There's A LOT more to the story other than what Randy is leading people to believe.

All of this was reported to the BLM by the County Sheriff. And all of this came out in a matter of 5 days.

When Randy was contacted to let him know there was a problem, Randy's response was screaming and yelling. He said "I'm going to sue" "You can't remove me" "I have a petition with 2000 names demanding that I be the camp host" "I'll have people go file complaints" "You can't do that".............This went on for a few before he was just hung up on. Because of Randy's unwillingness to listen, he never listened long enough to hear why he was being replaced. To this day, Randy still thinks he was "Released" because his brother and cousin got into the fight.

Oh, and just because I'm on here.........Rumors of Cache Creek closing, are just that, rumors. Not true. In fact (hoped this year, didn't happen) The BLM is considering some small battery operated recalculation units next year.

Randy was not "Screaming and yelling" I know, because I was there. And I did meet his dog and played with her. She doesn't bite people unless she is being teased or attacked. So two guys that got bit probably weren't just walking by, the odds are they were messing around the dog. The fight between his brother and relative have nothing to do with Randy, and I didn't see "tim" the whole time I was there, nor did I see any of his equipment, which leads me to believe Tim has a restraining order or doesn't go there anymore which means he is not a concern. And letting people stay past the two week limit is understandable. He shouldn't have done it, but for his own family, it is not a reason to be fired. When the BLM guys came to officially remove Randy, the prospector next to me asked one of the SIX guys "Did Randy do something?" and he just said "uhh..." and walked away. So based off your post and mine, I would have to say that his relatives getting in a fight is the reason (or excuse) for getting him fired.

justbecause

Greenie
Aug 14, 2014
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Randy was not "Screaming and yelling" I know, because I was there. And I did meet his dog and played with her. She doesn't bite people unless she is being teased or attacked. So two guys that got bit probably weren't just walking by, the odds are they were messing around the dog. The fight between his brother and relative have nothing to do with Randy, and I didn't see "tim" the whole time I was there, nor did I see any of his equipment, which leads me to believe Tim has a restraining order or doesn't go there anymore which means he is not a concern. And letting people stay past the two week limit is understandable. He shouldn't have done it, but for his own family, it is not a reason to be fired. When the BLM guys came to officially remove Randy, the prospector next to me asked one of the SIX guys "Did Randy do something?" and he just said "uhh..." and walked away. So based off your post and mine, I would have to say that his relatives getting in a fight is the reason (or excuse) for getting him fired.

Okay "Sluiceguy" I'm not here to argue with you. I'm stating fact.

I'm the one who sent Randy there in the first place,

I'm one of the guys that came with the 6 cops.

I'm the one he yelled at on the phone when I called him about potential problems, so don't get on Randy's "Soap Box" and tell me what he didn't say, because I'm the guy he said it to.

I'm the one that sent Dave, so when I read a comment "Guess who they sent, they sent Dave back here", Now you know who "They" are, it's me. And being "Fired" means someone was getting paid, it's a volunteer post. Would you like to sign up?

I'm the one that was told by the cops and the BLM that his cousin had been out there for 1 1/2mts, how would you know that when your only allowed to be there for 2 weeks? (or does that raise another issue?) And the BLM wasn't going to stand there with "Reports" from the Sheriffs office and not take action. And since I'm the one that sent Randy out there in the first place, they ALL would call me. The fight had NOTHING to do with him being removed, no matter what you think or what Randy thinks, again this is all FACT. It was the combination of everything that got him "Replaced", the fight itself had nothing to do with Randy, and I told BLM that to. And they told me...."Yes, he didn't have anything to do with it, but the fight wouldn't have happened on BLM land had she only been there the 2 weeks, and not been given "Privileges" because she's related to the host. The rules apply to everyone, now we've got 2 people with dog bites."

I was on the phone with him when the guy got bit, Randy didn't say anything about the guy giving him problems or anything else, in fact Randy told me him and the guy that got bit had been hanging out for the past few days and getting along just fine and had no explanation why the dog did it, THAT'S WHAT RANDY TOLD ME HIMSELF. The guy who got bit is who called the cops, I didn't have anything to do with that. In fact, I didn't know until the day I showed up with the cops that the dog was even taken.

I'm the guy he called threatening to file a suit on because he was being replaced, and when I hung up on him, he called back screaming the same BS that you claim he didn't do. I have it saved on my phone (Made threats on voice mail, smart move). Come on over and I'll let you hear it.

I'm the guy that was involved in his removal from start to finish. I know why he was replaced. Your obviously his friend and trying to support him, I get that. Back your buddy. But your buddy isn't telling you everything. But I am. I have no interest with you liking me or not. As long as I'm telling you the "Truth"? Your the one that has do deal with it, nothings gonna come back and bite me.

Rather you like what was done or not is irrelevant to me. I had a job to do and I did it. And I can tell you this, he's still causing problems up there. People call me to you know. And I've filed other reports to make a record of it.

So I know more about this whole mess than anyone involved (BLM, Dept. of Int Law enforcement, and the County Sheriff all called me about Randy.) and all you heard was Randy running his mouth. And just so you know, there's no restraining order.

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
justbecause ; Ya know, really loud people are often confused for people of authority who are telling the truth, honestly everyone here has been around the block enough to take what you are saying with a grain of salt.

Slander in a public forum, even if you deem it to be true is a dumb move. Even if you edit or delete your posts they are easily retrieved through google archives of which could later be used against you, just a friendly fyi.

We don't know who you are and it is clear that you came here simply to slander another person and not to contribute to our forum.
On he off chance that your claims are true, this still isn't the place to argue about it.

justbecause

Greenie
Aug 14, 2014
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your right Neo.........But I really don't care. I'm just setting the record straight. People just running their mouths about things they know nothing about. Well, I know. And I put it out there. I noticed people running Randy and Dave into the ground, that's not right either. Did you tell them the same thing?

I'm just setting the story straight. And it's not slander if it true, isn't it? "a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report" nothing malicious, false or defamatory has ever been said. Just the truth.

And I hope it stays out there on "Google", because this I can tell you, with my conversations today with the BLM, either that crap up there stops or they'll just shut it down. It's becoming to much of a pain to deal with. Me on the internet? That's the least of it. How about people act like adults up at Cache Creek and there wouldn't be any problems? The Sheriff tells me they're tired of the "Petty" crap (pg-13) and they're getting tired of being called out.....And my "Salt" wouldn't be on this forum. Someone emailed me about this and the tread. Other than that, I wouldn't have even been here.

I'm not attempting to argue with anyone, but when they're wrong, and they're saying how they're going to file a report over a host change? IT'S A VOLUNTEER POSITION (saying it again), Because if there isn't a "Host", those gates wont open...........Everyone should think about that, are you going to let the "Crap" between 2 hosts shut it down? Are you really willing to pick sides?

Its ridiculous........Oh, and I've been around the block myself. And when I have 3 different Government Agencies complaining about a "Host", you bet they're going to be replaced.

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How are we to know this is true or not, again, really not the right place.

Its great to know that they are not closing the creek if what you say is true, but the rest after that is just useless arguing and he said she said's by the creek shore....
It was a friendly warning so you don't land yourself into more trouble if the other guy wants to do something about it. Its also not the greatest way to introduce yourself into our forums, we welcome new members but on friendly, gold bearing grounds. :)

Again, awesome that the creek isn't closing.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hes right its only slander if untrue....justbeacause seems to be the one with the logical info....If all that stuff about the old host is true then it is a liability to have him as host. A dog that has bitten two people is a liability it is conjecture to say they must have been doing something wrong. If thats the case where is the report stating so. Obviouslyy the BLM felt they had cause to remove it. If the previous host was skirting regulations it only hurts the cache creek area and prospectors who wish to use it. So it should be dealt with. Someones dog comes at me....it won't be going after anyone else I promise you that. I'm glad forums exist to clear up things like this....read the whole thread its all over the place with reasons for the closure...thankfully someone with a stake in the situation can chime in with some real info.

justbecause

Greenie
Aug 14, 2014
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys, I don't want to see anyone bashed. But when I see people all over the place (this thread) about how and why Randy was replaced, it was all BS. I've been in charge of putting the host at Cache Creek for 2yrs now. And this is the first time I've had to replace someone. And Neo, I know when your on a "Forum" it's just one big "He said, she said." Because your not here, so how are you to know? But I live here in Colorado, I'm on the phone with the blm at least 3x's a week, we have 10 claims that need my attention right here in Colorado more than issues with a "Host" at a public prospecting site that we have no interest in ($$$). Your an adult, and you can believe anything you want. But this I can tell you. Just with what I've said here, I know people will know who I am. It was a fellow prospector that told me about this, and that's why I came on here. People bashing each host, and they were basing it on LIES. I can't stand a lair. So that's why I put the reason Randy was really "Replaced". Then this other guy is going to tell me what Randy didn't yell at me? I thought if everyone know the truth and just calm down, we wouldn't have 1/2 dozen people running down to the BLM because Randy got them fired up. And even if for some reason I have to replace Dave, do you really think it's going to be Randy that takes his place? If everyone would just "Play nice in the sand box", you, me, everyone on this forum or across the country can come here to Beautiful Colorado and dig some gold. That's what it's suppose to be about isn't it? Picking sides and getting fired up? Come on. Now everyone can know. I'm not asking anyone to believe me. Use your own head if you feel you really need to choose. But I'm not worried about any Slander, that's for sure.

Oh, I almost forgot. What the guy did wrong to cause Randy's dog to bite him? The guy came walking down the path carrying his dog. Randy's dog was on a 40ft retractable leash. I guess it surprised the dog, because he was a lot closer than 40ft. That's what Randy told me himself as the guy was standing in front of him wanting my number.

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been in charge of putting the host at Cache Creek for 2yrs now.

THIS gives you credibility. Why didn't you just say who you were in the first place?
It would have saved me some typing. :D

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Tramp, you must have a stomach of iron. I can't get past the smell of a boiling turnip, much less eat one. I reckon I've never been hungry enough...

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Justbecause" had credibility with me as soon as he said he was responsible for seeing the host replaced. Some of us have a fairly accurate BS meter built in. My guess is that he is trying to keep the area open to miners, and nothing heals an infection until the splinter is removed.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Because I was putting the truth out there, regardless of "Who" I am................And people are people.

Thanks for all you do for Cache Creek and for your club members too. I know enough to know you folks are the real deal and I appreciate all you do for the reputation of miners in CO and to provide a place for tourists and traveling miners to enjoy digging in Colorado!

justbecause

Greenie
Aug 14, 2014
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
See, I told you someone would know who I was, lmbo.

Hey guys, I do want to see it stay open. I've been consulted by the BLM (and rather you like the BLM or not, I have to keep a GOOD working relationship with them). And the things that do/are going on up there are childish. People filing complaints isn't helping anything to keep it open, It's not like I'm asking anyone to hold hands or anything. Your going to run into people you don't get along with, I get that. Show up, dig your hole, get some gold, then FILL YOUR HOLE BACK IN, LOL. And I hope everyone has a good clean out.

And just so everyone knows, up until the fight and the dog bites, I'd gotten nothing but compliments about Randy for the 2mts he'd been there, then again I didn't know a lot of what Randy was doing either. So I'm not trying to bash him at all. In all of my posts I've used the word "Truth"............ That's it. Since the replacement of the host, I've gotten 6 more complaints. And they've ALL stem from Randy.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
This place sounds like my kinda fun, mining and a dramatic show! Fist fights, mini football sized dogs, and if the molester stayed around any longer there may have been a hanging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread