First Time Campin on the River

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Going to the north fork american again this friday and saturday to do some prospecting, only difference with this time is I'll be camping there through the night. I picked up a tent, sleeping bag, water purifier, folding stove w/ fuel, bio soap, rope, clips, multi-purpose tool, chair, fanny pack lol, waterproof phone case, lighters, food, lantern/flashlight, even some camping tp...all of this in addition to my prospecting tools.

It would be great if some of you experienced folks could give your input..

Am I missing anything?
Anything I dont need?

Upvote 0

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

Guess who ?

paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know who...

IMG_0127.JPG IMG_0147.JPG

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Between the last two posts, this looked like a serious tale of revenge!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SHR you might invest in a good old army [or usmc ] poncho. Light weight and multiple uses. Tent, ground cloth, tarp,etc.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
SchoolOfHardRocks It was a Pleasure meeting you. Hope your overnighter was successful..

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
It went great. I did end up hiking out to get some gatorades and sandwiches...that was heaven. But the night went without a hitch, real quiet and the moon kept things pretty well lit.

It was a pleasure meeting you too. I appreciated the company, thanks for all of the tips and hangin out for a while. I felt like a big baseball fan finally meeting his favorite major league player lol.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOHR, the first trip is full of new experiences glad to hear it went well. My first trip into the NFAR was in February of 1963. Just me, the clothes on my back and the .44 strapped to my right leg. Awesome first time....................63bkpkr

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I did manage to take a few photos while I was out there..never as many as i wish i had after getting back home though.

I got to the trail head at about 6 am on Friday, unloaded my stuff and hiked in. It was a nice experience not feeling the usual pressure of the clock, having to come and go the same day...this time i could actually stop and smell the roses. I set up camp at a spot that I've seen others set up at...first mistake of the trip. I immediately realized the importance of shade in a place like this. The only place to escape the elements is your camp, i've learned to try to make it as comfortable as possible. Anyways after i set up camp, i got to finally explore some of the areas of the river that i've been curious about. I took off with a pan, water, and some necessities and got to sampling along the river. I didn't notice anything worth drawing me away from my usual spot so i eventually made my way back there to work some gravels. It was still nice to satisfy my curiousities though, and finally see what's around those bends I've wondered about for so long.

Then along comes MadMarshall, head down in the water checkin out crevaces and cracks as he makes his way down the river. It was nice to have some company for a minute- he seems to know the river better than most.. and after he departed i dug a little more before deciding to call it a day. At this point I'm pretty dehydrated and hungry. I brought a water purifier to filter river water but i failed to keep it cool by keeping the filtered water in the river. Because of this I didn't drink that much throughout the day and it all caught up to me in the evening, along with the hunger. So i'm sorry to say that i hiked out and hit up the gas station for gatorades and subway for some sandwiches lol. That's one of my biggest take aways from this trip-camping is not for comfort.. I need to sack up and deal with drinking warm water, and eat my not so delicious canned chili. -Guess it all just takes a little getting used to.
Ended up grabbin a beer from the gas station as well and after putting down 2 sandwiches and drinking what i didn't spill of the beer I was sleepin by 9. The river and it's multitude of noises woke me several times throughout the night, but after realizing it was just the river- back to sleep it was. Woke up in the morning refreshed and enjoyed the cool weather while it lasted. Warmed up some chili, took an energy shot, and got back to work until mid-afternoon.
I saw a couple of salamanders, a little snake (not sure what kind), some frogs, and apparently a doe visited me in the night as i could see her tracks along the river in the morning.
I had a lot of fun and learned a lot as some of you suggested i would, and although i didn't find as much gold as i had hoped for it was a great trip. I look forward to checking another part of the river out next weekend with my girlfriend and son.

Once again, thanks for all of the input.. I learned a lot and am definitely looking forward to the next adventure.
20140808_064234.jpg 20140808_072947.jpg 20140809_074730.jpg 20140810_172620.jpg

Last edited:

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Nice story...nice color! Bet you went through the "Wish I Had This or That List"

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you SOHR, nice story and nice pictures! Some of the best trips have nothing to do with gold unless its the gold of the sky during the hours of sunset.

Yup, keeping the water cool is helpful or just drinking it when its warm and then letting yourself fall into the cool river to shake some of the heat off of your body.
The river does make a good deal of sounds all day long though it seems they are more noticeable just before nightfall, those sounds are there 24/7.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.................63bkpkr

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
SOHR that can of chilli , on your solar heater , is my favorit chilli! try adding a can of crushed tomatoes and a can of Progresso Menistrone to it!

Russau....can of crushed tomatoes gives me such a energy boost... cant eat them at night...no sleep.

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Loved the story and the gold. The first time is always the learning experience a long with all the other times. You will only get better and better!

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Rivers and streams make some strange sounds. I work a stretch that sounds like people talking once in a while. I guess that is where the term babbling brook comes from.
I'm glad you had a good time.

Tasmorn

Jun 9, 2013
Laplace, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
camera, Rain gear,Compass, extra gloves hate mine when they are wet.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think Backpacking keep it light if your just going overnight you don't need much . Freeze dried foods I carry a water pump purifier if I'm on the trail . I've hiked all over the sierra's but never been attacked by a bear but had them in camp a few times . I worry about the crazies not the wild life . A self inflating sleeping pad is nice but heavy .

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bear pepper spray if u refuse to take a side arm or a partner that runs slower than you!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread