New to the forum! Any leads to gold prospecting in Garfield County Colorado

Preacherman

Sep 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Welcome preacher, I'm not familiar with the area and I know the net is full of info. In my case I researched looked in those places and ended up disappointed. An old timer on here is always saying stick close to home so I did. Enjoy the local scenery learn the clues don't spend a lot of money on equipment until the gold warrants it.
Have fun!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy Preacher, and welcome! :hello:

The web is an awesome source of info, and it won't take
you much searching to find out where gold is locally.

Here's a page you'll want to check out as there's some info on your area:

http://www.gpoc.com/uploads/3/2/0/4/3204659/march_issue_2013_3.pdf

Kevin in Colorado will certainly be on site later today, and he knows the
state quite well. Hopefully he can give you a tip or two.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome! Garfield County is outside the Colorado mineral belt but you will find gold intermittently along the Colorado River (this is true all along the Co River thru your area, thru UT and into AZ). Know who owns the land before you dig of course (county assessor website, usfs and BLM can help here) but do some sampling where you find gravel/cobble bars and you may be pleasantly surprised! You should also check smaller local creeks, you never know but I've heard reports that a couple small creeks in Garfield County show color just up stream of their meeting points with the Colorado (maybe due to Colorado River ancient bench deposits they are cutting back through)...worth testing!

For more/bigger gold you will have to travel south or east to get into the mineral belt. There are also placer deposits in UT if you are headed that way.

PS hi Dizz/Mike! Guess I'm rather predictable!

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Preacherman

Sep 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for the response!!!!

Tried out my new gold pans a few days ago and learned I need a better grate to sift out the big stuff, and that lots of sand in the pan takes forever to wash out.......lol but I'm on my way!

hawkeye39

May 12, 2013
Surprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI SL
Whites GMT
GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello!

I am wanting to get into the gold prospecting as a fun outdoor hobby, I live in Garfield County Colorado, which includes Rifle, New Castle, Glenwood Springs, and Parachute, are there any know good areas to prospect for Gold around here?

I know there are many in Eastern Colorado but can I start at home first?

Thank you for letting me on board!!!!

Check out the Grand Junction Gold Prospectors:

Home Page | GJGPAA

I think they have some claims down near Gateway on the Delores River.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions