Advice on what tool will catch flour and fine flakes?

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On my own land and on my claim, and in the river moss, I am finding a good amount of fine flakes and flour, mainly tiny flakes, this can add up for the amount on fine cons I am running, but currently just running a ez sluice with a small pump, I think I might be loosing some as well, as the ez sluice is only 12 inches with small vmat, then I have a homemade bigger vmat notches running for about 30 inches to catch anything else, but think again I am loosing some....

I was thinking to buy the GOLD CUBE, any advice if there is anything better out there for me to buy?

My area is very rich for this small fine gold, so with that being said I think it would be worth it to invest into something that will catch fine gold...

Other thing is I do not want something like " Catch It Mat " cause it looks like you can only feed a spoonful at a time, I want to be able to run a good amount of 1/8 / 1/4th cons at one time...

any advice?

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
GOLD Hog, I would like to hear your advice as I have been looking at your products in detail, never the least I was thinking about getting your setup that runs as a sluice before making it to the gold cube, sluice gold cube combo that I saw on youtube that you put up...

Timmy Tom yeah I need something to screen the moss faster... :)

You don't need to destroy the moss after all it will be a future gold catch.- Just vacuum the black sand up - e.g. Dewalt hand held vacuum.

George

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOLD Hog, I would like to hear your advice as I have been looking at your products in detail, never the least I was thinking about getting your setup that runs as a sluice before making it to the gold cube, sluice gold cube combo that I saw on youtube that you put up...

If you're a "one man show".... then the cube is all you'll really need.
I think you'll find you can only dig "so much dirt", if you're digging.
It will run 97% + capture in raw field conditions and will do a fine job.
It's only when you start to dig a LOT of dirt that you'll need to look at some type of unit
that can run high volume / unclassified.
I have found that in "field conditions" or running material with heavier clay contents or
heavy black sands, I like to run my cube with a 1500 gph pump.
You can get one for about $39 and try it.
Main thing is to TEST.... and TEST again.

Doc

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jvan,
I know you've already ordred a cube which will work great with some other processes. Why dont you invite some of the local "talent" in your area to come over for a day with their setups. You'll see first hand what is going to work on your claim as well as for you. They'll probably bring the beer and I'll bet they cut your learning curve in half by the end of a day. Who knows you might get some free labor moving one or two of those choice boulders that are ripe for mining under.

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
The GC doesn't come close to 97% on our beaches here in WA. Been there done that. Also if you recirculate in dirty water with much clay the matting plugs up quick and no recovery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would Invite anyone who wants to come out, Problem is I am having a though time finding public access to the claim, I know there is because I found tons of homemade mining gear hidden on the claim along with a old dredge pump that I'm sure we can get working...

See right now my access to the claim is hiking down on my landlords property empty 50 acres, at the bottom of his property to the SE backs up to my claim on the river.... Problem is my landlord is a old man that I know for a fact would not been keen on allowing anyone else to come on his property other then me and my brother, that being said I need to find out how else we can get to the claim, as I know there is 5 other private roads that back up to BLM land, problem is they are not public roads to drive on...

On the claim I found over 50-100 feet of hose and riffle pipe, so I know that was not brought down along with the 100 pound pump brought down through the one public access way that I know because that hike is over a mile and very steep...

So it all comes down to finding access to the claim, the whole bottom of my claim is all river so it is good working area, Also I am not the type of person who can just go down these backwoods private roads and knock on doors asking home owners if I can use their road to get to my claim :( ...

I'd be fine with that if someone that knows a little bit about accessing BLM claims and be willing to go with me, but where I live it looks to me that you don't want to go down these back roads by your self.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you tried contacting the previous claim holder? He might give you some access and mining insight. Plus, if that is his equipment and he had something bad happen that prevented him from retrieving it, he'd probably be mighty appreciative. There's that Karma thing poppin up again.

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No way to contact him, there is no forwarding address., Tried Facebook and Google, his name is super common name as well..

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well one thing you can do to find an access is go to the US geological Service sites map page and find the area that your claim is in. As a rule there will be several maps for the same area with different publication dates. The ones you want are the ones from BEFORE 1976. Any roads shown on these maps should be public thoroughfares and can not be closed to public access.

The maps can be downloaded for free in PDF format and if you need a hard copy you can either order from the USGS or take the file to Office Depot and have them print it out full size. On nice thing about the maps being in PDF format is that they also include the satellite view as a separate layer that can be turned on/off as needed.

Sounds like you've got a sweet thing going with your claim! Wish I had one like that. Having to drive 110 miles each way not only gets old, it also keeps me from digging as much as I'd like to be doing. :(

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jvan,
I know you've already ordred a cube which will work great with some other processes. Why dont you invite some of the local "talent" in your area to come over for a day with their setups. You'll see first hand what is going to work on your claim as well as for you. They'll probably bring the beer and I'll bet they cut your learning curve in half by the end of a day. Who knows you might get some free labor moving one or two of those choice boulders that are ripe for mining under.
Working on it....just started a new job...workin like dog..I want to get my 12x48 hi-banker over there for him to try out. Sorry but, I have to disagree with doc. The type of work to be done to recover the type of gold in the area will require more than a gold cube. Even with the classifier set up it can not run and handle as much material as my powersluice. There is a mix of gold yes the majority will be minus 8 mesh but, in El Dorado county especially on a river like the Consumnes that crosses and runs through the Motherlode mineralized zone, it would not be wise to count out larger gold in regards to recovery. Jvans claim is literally in a long stones throw (and downstream) to some placer fields that produced many a nugget.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread