Advice on what tool will catch flour and fine flakes?

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On my own land and on my claim, and in the river moss, I am finding a good amount of fine flakes and flour, mainly tiny flakes, this can add up for the amount on fine cons I am running, but currently just running a ez sluice with a small pump, I think I might be loosing some as well, as the ez sluice is only 12 inches with small vmat, then I have a homemade bigger vmat notches running for about 30 inches to catch anything else, but think again I am loosing some....

I was thinking to buy the GOLD CUBE, any advice if there is anything better out there for me to buy?

My area is very rich for this small fine gold, so with that being said I think it would be worth it to invest into something that will catch fine gold...

Other thing is I do not want something like " Catch It Mat " cause it looks like you can only feed a spoonful at a time, I want to be able to run a good amount of 1/8 / 1/4th cons at one time...

any advice?

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pan, classifiers and Jetdry......

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
gold hog mats and fluid beds(bgt) are known to work well, raise your production too

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I assume that you have been testing your tailings and have been seeing some fine gold.
Now I do not want to insult your intelligence if you are an old hand at sluicing. However, I did notice that you are a recent member of TN. Are you sure that the "flakes" you are seeing are gold and not mica? V mat is pretty good for fine gold but you are going to have problems with gold below 100 mesh with any regular water gravity device including a gold cube. Probably need to find out what size gold you have? Most above or most below 100 mesh? If most below 100 mesh probably a Popandson sluice would work.
http://web.archive.org/web/20060630...m=181&topic_id=62871&mesg_id=&page=&mode=full

George

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I screen my con's down with a kitchen mesh strainer then run through my recrculating sluice,
I use a wide mouth suckerbottle to catch some of the gold off the ribbed mat.
then my sluice con's are run through a spiral wheel but at an angle that allows
some black sands to go into the cup also, then I use a hard plastic falcon cleanup pan.
everything that left thats gone through to sluice goes into a bucket that I'll play with in the winter.

Last edited:

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my mining claims,hardrock and a gully with gold run off,I have alot of minus 50 to 100 mesh gold.I have tried and experimented with many different things.wether your sluicing or highbanking water control is important.just enough to move materil.nextyou have to take the time to classify down first before running it through.as far as the sluice box I use deep ribbed matting with miners moss over that and about a 3/8 or 3/16 expanded metal over that depending on gold size.I know everybody has there way but I know this works excellent for me.after that just pan out whatever way works best.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is your plan how are you gathering material? I remember you said your home is right by your claim, and your home backs up to the river as well, correct?. Are you sluicing at your claim or bringing the material home? What kind of flow and fall do you have at home and on the claim. Is the area secure? Limited access to others? Whags your approximate budget for equipment?

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For running, as you said "fine concentrates" I think the gold cube may be just the tool you need. There's a member on these forums "LipCa" who bought one for use on his claims here in northern California. As I recall he said he paid for it the first outing with it on fine gold.

In case he doesn't see this thread maybe PM him. He's very helpful with information.

I also agree with Kiddo, the Bazooka Gold Trap would increase production and capture the fine gold.

Mike

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL Yes I know what gold looks like and what mica looks like, I am not that new to it...
I assume that you have been testing your tailings and have been seeing some fine gold.
Now I do not want to insult your intelligence if you are an old hand at sluicing. However, I did notice that you are a recent member of TN. Are you sure that the "flakes" you are seeing are gold and not mica? V mat is pretty good for fine gold but you are going to have problems with gold below 100 mesh with any regular water gravity device including a gold cube. Probably need to find out what size gold you have? Most above or most below 100 mesh? If most below 100 mesh probably a Popandson sluice would work.
Prospectors Cache Forum - Viewing topic #62871 - Sluice Bench Testing, Phase 1

George

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a 36in Bazooka Sniper, I have only used it out in the river twice, never found a spec of gold with it... from the river gravel.... However I am finding gold constantly in every section of moss up on boulders I take from... That is the reason i wanted to get something for the fines that is in there... Still trying to get a good setup to run on the river its self...

Its hard to go away from the moss because everytime I grab it I find gold, I get about one 5 gallon bucket of pure fine cons and then run it through my homemade sluice that has larger V mat 36in and about every 10mins I do a clean out and after I am done with one 5 gallon bucket of pure fine cons I get about 3-4 cups on the SUPER fines, almost pure black sand to take home... Out of that I pan it out and got about 50 specs that you can see, flour or flakes, tiny but it is gold and it adds up and I am still learning so in all I enjoy it, But I just feel I might be loosing some from all ways around....

That's all :)

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I catch with the.setup I.described earlier

Attachments

• KIMG0083.JPG
    KIMG0083.JPG
    996.1 KB · Views: 149

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMHO-As close as you are to your claim,I'd for sure go with a Bazooka Miner for my in stream set up. You will be able to pretty much set that thing up and leave it. Your body is not capable of overloading or outworking it. No classifying, simply dump bucket on the plate and go get another. Have them make it with the finer grizzlies and since your not packing it in get the longest slick plate they make. If Your claim is mostly fine gold then running more material is the name of your game. Then I would put together a good classifier set up for processing the cons, down to -30 at least, maybe -50 if you have a lot of fine gold. Classifying your cons is key to keeping fine gold. Once the cons are classified I would run them thru whatever you have confidence in. I have a blue bowl which I'm used to and know what it does. I want to get or make something like a black magic as I think it will be faster for me. I have friends who have wheels and they like them. Try a few different things before you buy or make.
Moss- wet wash it thru a 1/2" wire classifier and bucket. Scrubbing and raking it around the classifier breaking it into a thousand pieces. Do five gallons worth and it can be scary good as my son would say!

Timmy Tom

Aug 14, 2012
If you are able to run large amounts of material, then the gold cube would be my go to item. But I have heard great things about the BGT. I have a few pics but will have to figure out how to post. I get gold so small that I have to use a magnifying lens to see the tiny stuff. I picked the cube because I knew I would run sand, and the places I go, a sluice won't work. A high banker would work but decided for the cube. I made a 5 gal. Bucket trommel that sits on top and I feed and rotate the handle.

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I just ordered the Gold Cube 4 layer setup off Amazon prime, so I will have it this wed.... I just wounder if I can build some sort of sluice that has some gold hog mats and miners moss and then have it automatically feed into the gold cube, so I can catch everything poss...

as far as the Bazooka Sniper, I need to use it more down there and try my luck in the river and see what happens, I kinda gave up the day I ran about 2 5 gallon buckets through it and did not get a spec, and I dug about 2 feet down in the middle of the river about 5 feet in total and did not even get a spec, but also I am new to this so could of been digging in the wrong section, although I did dig a few other spots as well no luck..

Timmy Tom

Aug 14, 2012
If you got the cube, I wouldn't worry about the rest. Your gold is all minus 8 right. So I would figure out a faster screening device to run material faster.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoldCube has a topper which classifies the materiel so you can use just like a highbanker.

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GOLD Hog, I would like to hear your advice as I have been looking at your products in detail, never the least I was thinking about getting your setup that runs as a sluice before making it to the gold cube, sluice gold cube combo that I saw on youtube that you put up...

Timmy Tom yeah I need something to screen the moss faster... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread