Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all.
Been doing a bit of research.
In the late 1890s, two gold mines existed in Batavia/Amelia Ohio. Both are now beneath the lake contained within Eastfork State Park.
Both "mines" failed, due to recovery costs relevant to price of gold. Which is surely the case anywhere, even now.
Two streams still lead to area in question. Both are accessible.
Any chance of finding a flake or two?
Thanks
Peace ✌

Upvote 0

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was prospecting with a buddy and he found a decent picker and dropped it into a near empty beer can because we couldnt find the snuffer. I still remember the thunk noise. Fast forward about 3-4 hours in the hot sun and we were drunk as skunks and finished all the beers...what can was that picker in? Did i drink it? Did you?
Never seen again, probably flushed it...
I usually dont drink when prospecting/dredging for good reason

Last edited:

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do ypu guys just go to any creeks, or is there a method to your madness? Anything particular you guys look for when you get to a creek. Personally I would not know whereto start, and you guys seem to have years of experience. awesum hobby

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do ypu guys just go to any creeks, or is there a method to your madness? Anything particular you guys look for when you get to a creek. Personally I would not know whereto start, and you guys seem to have years of experience. awesum hobby

In Ohio it's all glacial gold, so we look for areas with material left behind from the glaciers, it's called till. Piles of till are called moraines, the till at the terminus of the glaciers called end moraines are what to look for. There are also formations called kames and eskers, these were formed by waterways within the glacier itself.

The amount of gold per ton of average till is next to nothing, areas where the till has been concentrated by glaciers and further concentrated by creeks, streams and rivers is where to start looking.

BunnySue

May 18, 2013
Southwest Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all.
In the late 1890s, two gold mines existed in Batavia/Amelia Ohio. Both are now beneath the lake contained within Eastfork State Park.
Both "mines" failed, due to recovery costs relevant to price of gold. Which is surely the case anywhere, even now.
Thanks
Peace ✌

Hello CK - I live in SW Ohio and you are more than welcome to come look if you'd like! I have 5 acres in north east Butler County that has two streams. One is down in a steep ravine at the back of our property that has a lot of clay in the banks and the other stream was mostly dry until the past few years. It now has flowing water year round. It is pretty sandy but there is a lot of black sand in parts of it. Don't know if you'd find anything but you're welcome to come dig around! ~ BunnySue

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all.
Thanks
Peace ✌

It depends upon what you mean by "accessible." The only gold in Ohio is at processing plant, and I assume it is highly secure against people going inside and taking gold.

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends upon what you mean by "accessible." The only gold in Ohio is at processing plant, and I assume it is highly secure against people going inside and taking gold.

There is not enough gold to profit off of, but there is gold in Ohio.

Getoutdigin

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sick4gold, I've been doing some reading and came across this post where you offered a day panning Ohio streams. Have moved to southern Ohio and would love to accompany you on one of these trips. If offer is still open, say when and where. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread