gold_seeker

Greenie
Dec 13, 2014
Tucson az
Detector(s) used
not yet
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The mines were never seen again the prospectors lived to talk about their findings.

OP
OP
G

gold_seeker

Greenie
Dec 13, 2014
Tucson az
Detector(s) used
not yet
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
there is a guy named flint carter who claims he owns the land that the mine with the iron door sits on also.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, that brought back some memories long forgotten. Two heavy steel rusty but tightly secured doors going into the side of a mountain. What kid couldn't resist something like that. ??? Never could get into one tho...thank God :angel7:

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What do I think?....I think they weren't sufficiently motivated.
An iron door is only a minor barrier to someone who is intent upon opening it especially if they own a portable oxy/acetelyne torch.
My guess is they weren't willing to jump that claim.

and then there is this...

[h=2]Iron Door Mine Land for Sale[/h]Silver & Gold Mine, Tucson, AZ. Mine, jewelry grade gold, silver & silica ore in place, carat weight returns, historic property sold for $50,000 in 1915, outlets established for product now in museums worldwide. Land on Federal lease - mineral rights only for sale. 20 acres (871200 square ft. Unsubdivided Pima County, AZ.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I knew a man who discovered a few old mines with iron doors in the mountains near Cave Creek, AZ over 25 years ago. They were buried under rubble, and it would have cost over two million to excavate the rubble and build a road up the mountain.As it turned out, a woman owned the claims on several mountains nearby, and there were numerous waybills and stuff that indicated that the Spanish or Mexicans had done the mines and he thought it was the Lost Peralta mines that the Dutchman had gotten into, and had over 100 photos of all this.

So there it sits, and as far as I know, no one has touched the mines!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to admit that I've always enjoyed reading or hearing old legends of lost mines and treasures. Arizona has a rich history and many of these tales have been floating around for years. They say that most legends are based in facts and I for one would like to think this is true. I'm sure that some of the old tales are just that. Tales worked up around some campfire to entertain miners after a long day of hunting gold. With the number of these tales that are out there and how long they've persisted, at least some of them have to have some truth to them.

Now... Am I going to go chasing off tracking down leads from these stories? Nope... I've got too much gold to dig up as it is and that is much more of a sure bet than chasing some story that is hundreds of years old. If it hasn't been found already, then MAYBE it's not meant to be found for whatever reason. I'll take a nice vein or placer deposit over chasing a legend any day.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Who needs a road to torch open a door?

I knew a man who discovered a few old mines with iron doors in the mountains near Cave Creek, AZ over 25 years ago. They were buried under rubble, and it would have cost over two million to excavate the rubble and build a road up the mountain.As it turned out, a woman owned the claims on several mountains nearby, and there were numerous waybills and stuff that indicated that the Spanish or Mexicans had done the mines and he thought it was the Lost Peralta mines that the Dutchman had gotten into, and had over 100 photos of all this.

So there it sits, and as far as I know, no one has touched the mines!

I am scratching my head on this. If: 'discovered a few old mines with iron doors', why do we need to excavate all this rubble? Either the doors are accessible or not. Please explain how they are discoverable but not accessible. ???

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I am scratching my head on this. If: 'discovered a few old mines with iron doors', why do we need to excavate all this rubble? Either the doors are accessible or not. Please explain how they are discoverable but not accessible. ???

This was about 22 years ago I saw the photos. I wasn't there. And the mines were claimed up, so what could he do? I recall seeing a iron door on an archway on one of them, and I think there were two other mines that had rubble over them. My memory isn't what it used to be, I'm 69 years old, but I was very impressed with all the photos and his story at the time. When I was a child in AZ I saw lots of mines, but we would not go in them.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bubba those mines were owned by a woman named Betty as I recall. A friend of mine bought them and still owns them. He worked one of them profitably for a few years back in the 90's. He has a heck of a time keeping treasure hunters out. If you see a tall guy on a horse with a 50 cal that's the owner. He rides that area a lot and has his stables just outside Cave Creek.

The mines were started between 1936 and 1952. Serious miners discovered and mined them. Two of them are patented private property. Lots of stories about Spanish mines wherever you go but in this case they were all discovered in the last 100 years.

Heavy Pans

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Bubba those mines were owned by a woman named Betty as I recall. A friend of mine bought them and still owns them. He worked one of them profitably for a few years back in the 90's. He has a heck of a time keeping treasure hunters out. If you see a tall guy on a horse with a 50 cal that's the owner. He rides that area a lot and has his stables just outside Cave Creek.

The mines were started between 1936 and 1952. Serious miners discovered and mined them. Two of them are patented private property. Lots of stories about Spanish mines wherever you go but in this case they were all discovered in the last 100 years.

Heavy Pans

Interesting.

I recall my friend saying that the lady owned a lot of claims in AZ.

I think its advisable to stay away from tall men on horses with .50 guns!

Anyone know where the Lost Peralta mines are located?

Ooops! I didn't ask that question!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What prospector doesn't have his pick-axe? Open that baby right up, I would. (If I had legal access naturally)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread