Caribou369

Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy All,

I am using Minecache.com as a starting point for researching areas of interest and finding two different overlays - one lists BLM / LR2000 claims by aliquot part/section, and the other is "MRDS" which shows icons with a simple lat/lon coordinate. I notice that these two systems do not seem to have much in common with each other and sometimes even overfile one another.

I know that this is just a starting point and to check with county recorder etc etc before filing my own claim location. However, I'm curious about what the "MRDS" is and how it works. Can anyone here enlighten me?

Thanks in advance,

C369

Upvote 0

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MRDS is pretty cool. I use it to look for historic mines in the area I am searching. As with both of these tools, the information is not precise. It gives you a ballpark idea of potentially how many claimants are in a given area, but the only REAL way to see is to either go to the BLM or the recorders office to see the actual recording paperwork of current claims in your area. MRDS is awesome for figuring out good areas to search.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MRDS is just a collection of old databases of active mining operations. Those are historical mines, they are not mining claims. The last time the MRDS was updated was 2011 and most of the records date from 1980 or before.

The LR2000 is the current BLM database of ACTIVE mining claim case files. The LR2000 does have CLOSED mining claims case files going back about 8 years. These are mining claim case files only and do not represent current or historical mines.

MRDS = old mines (known holes in the ground). NOT claims.

LR2000 = BLM agency case files for mining claims. NOT mines.

Two entirely different things. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
C

Caribou369

Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MRDS is just a collection of old databases of active mining operations. Those are historical mines, they are not mining claims. The last time the MRDS was updated was 2011 and most of the records date from 1980 or before.

The LR2000 is the current BLM database of ACTIVE mining claim case files. The LR2000 does have CLOSED mining claims case files going back about 8 years. These are mining claim case files only and do not represent current or historical mines.

MRDS = old mines (known holes in the ground). NOT claims.

LR2000 = BLM agency case files for mining claims. NOT mines.

Two entirely different things. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

Thanks for the clarification, Clay! Much appreciated.

Heavy Pans to ya :thumbsup:

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Clay, re-reading my post- your post is much clearer than mine. Good job. I still like MRDS, as I spend a lot of time there. Very good for historical research.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine Cache does not always have all the claims posted for a particular section, I like to compare what I find on Mine Cache with the LR2000 and then that's not always up to date either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread