Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The blue daypack has seen better days and looking for a replacement
Redpack ( Mountain Smith ) went to Bolivia with me and that was a hugh mistake mounts to tall for the bush was getting hung up. but enjoy using locally for exploring new off the beaten path areas ifn i plan to spend more then a day out in the woods
and then the yellow pack, fav, been with me a long time, use daily, well almost. was used mostly for hauling the dredge in to the claims, faster and kept my hands free

so like to know what you all use for a day pack, get some ideas

Attachments

• DSCN0161.JPG
    DSCN0161.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any backpack is better than no backpack. I hate seeing fellows with their stuff in plastic shopping bags or heavy equipment being humped with rope arm straps and a tump line.

That said, there are so many considerations to what pack to take prospecting. If you are an organized fellow, lots of pockets is great to have. I typically prefer a waterproof pack without sections that is big and deep enough to handle all of my stuff. I have had one for years that was designed for canoe tripping. Internal frames on small packs make the haul more comfortable and somewhat protect the gear. I like my things to be secure (zipped up), so I don't leave a trail of valuable things along my walk or have the trees and shrubs steal them from me.

When I fly, I take a lightweight backpack that has a zipper on the bottom so it can be undone and expanded lengthwise. It is horrible for a long walk because it bumps the back of my legs. However, I use it for my metal detector and scoop when moving between spots in the Caribbean. I pack it in my duffle if I fly somewhere to prospect (it folds up small and does not add too much weight to my luggage). Actually, if I have not had a backpack, I have used a hockey bag with the carry straps over my arms.

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
duffle bag.jpg

I like a GI Duffle Bag. I insert 5 gal buckets (2-3) in the bottom along with gloves, a short shovel, pan, 1/2 classifier, snack bars, water, and whatever else I need without overloading. I have also carried my gas vac in it to go crack vaccing. Very versatile and cheap.

My digging partner carries his Gold Buddy Dry Washer in the same duffle bag. Between the two of us we can carry enough gear for a days remote drywashing.

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
great links on packs
My yellow pack, Originally Posted.
(pic here is a copy of that pack, showing it has a shelf.) has been with me for decades, and have liked the pack cuz made securing loads hauling equipment and supporting with straps a breeze, today’s packs are amazing but were not available back in the days, lookin for a pack that I can strap-on and walk while detecting, won’t shift, while kneeling is not going to be easy

Attachments

• rackpack.jpg
    rackpack.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You for the links Vance and BurntBear.

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1674-DEFAULT-s.jpg
I am amused by this and tempted, water proof, hang straps on the outside. must try, with my current rackpack, why not already have the 20 gal barrel

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw that one too, on the website vance posted. Cool part is when you get to a river crossing you can float it across beside you rather than being tied to it. Or make a Minny me fluid bed and have the best of both worlds- a pack and a fluidbed highbanker.:thumbsup:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with external frame backpacks, still use them. My first pack died when bears tore it all up (the frame was turned into a freighter type frame for Europe Treks and now for
~ a 80 lb stuff sack full of tools). The second is another Kelty exterior frame, model is a Sherpa, the name should tip you off as to how much can be put into it and on to it. I've hauled in 115 lbs with it back when I was totally fit, now I'm just having fits..........................63bkpkr

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the man, the guru and all around swell guy, will you welcome 63bkpkr

i am with ya on the fits
i had a bad week packin my HB on to the claim, took near six days to get up and runnin gremlins, murphy call it what you will

Attachments

• applaud.gif
    applaud.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 150

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hard to beat a military rucksack. They are more durable than almost anything in the recreational market and dirt cheap if you live near a military base

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread