A LITTLE HELP NEEDED WITH GOLD CLAIMER TROMMEL SLUICE BOX

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello folks, I am a newbie here & first of all I would like to thank everyone in advance for this forum! Now my question...... I own a gold claimer trommel recirculator with a oscillating sluice box. I was wondering if gold hog mat would work in this situation? It originally had the old grass carpet covered with grating. It currently has minors moss covered with grating & I painted the bottom of the box with chalk board paint to keep gold from sliding under the mat,however I still find fine gold when I empty the sand screw drain at the end of the day. Is their a better option? Thanks guys!

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Costco is selling indoor/outdoor 6' x 9' pieces of raised aggregrate carpet for like $20. It is not quite as thick as old school but under that moss it is the absolute best thing you can use. The GC extreme agitation sure drives any/ all gold right down to the bottom of the pile. You want unbacked carpet as solid/glue backed/whatever will load up. You absolutely do not want to add anything to the box that has any appreciable height as then the box riffles won't lock down tight or seen'm pop open and adios everything. Check for yourself with old carpet to see as not much play there and you don't want to be drilling new riffle holes in that great unit.Great machines will keep you working like crazy--cool tool-John

Attachments

• uo.jpg
    uo.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
itspaidfor

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome! Thanks John! I just did'nt know if I could put it under the miners moss but looking at that pick I understand! Thank You so much. I will say of all of the equipment I have owned the claimer kicks but. I use it in the desert around Yuma,az

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello folks, I am a newbie here & first of all I would like to thank everyone in advance for this forum! Now my question...... I own a gold claimer trommel recirculator with a oscillating sluice box. I was wondering if gold hog mat would work in this situation? It originally had the old grass carpet covered with grating. It currently has minors moss covered with grating & I painted the bottom of the box with chalk board paint to keep gold from sliding under the mat,however I still find fine gold when I empty the sand screw drain at the end of the day. Is their a better option? Thanks guys!

Doc at Goldhog is usually open to questions about mat applications on his forum (goldprospectingforum.com) or maybe just an email to the company (Contact US) will get a response if you have not already tried that.
Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
itspaidfor

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks az I will contact him I want to talk to him. I do think the carpet will work wonders as the oscillation on the sluice box really drives the heavies down. I could unhook it but I am working in clay and it helps to keep the sluice from packing. Allways something! LOL

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That caliche is sure a pain. ALL the more reason to never used any backed materials in the ocsilation driven units. It just hits that wall,loads up(as you have seen) and by by gold. Your unit is almost the same as gold claimer in many ways as caution need to thickness of added materials on closure and keeping closed during operation with too much under them riffles-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread