Classic "Gold Snuffing Bulb" or Homemade PVC Pipe Sucker?

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people use the Gold n Sand Hand dredge and some other models and seem to work well. I haven't had much luck with mine its a bit tricky to get working right I guess. Not sure what a 12' gold snuffing bulb is? A regular snuffer bottle can work on smaller material/cracks.

I haven't seen any larger versions yet, but you would think they would have to be out there. yesterday I was thinking about this topic and wondered why a turkey baster wouldn't work?...seems like it would be an easy way to suck material and dump into a pan/bucket

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A lot of people use the Gold n Sand Hand dredge and some other models and seem to work well. I haven't had much luck with mine its a bit tricky to get working right I guess. Not sure what a 12' gold snuffing bulb is? A regular snuffer bottle can work on smaller material/cracks.

I haven't seen any larger versions yet, but you would think they would have to be out there. yesterday I was thinking about this topic and wondered why a turkey baster wouldn't work?...seems like it would be an easy way to suck material and dump into a pan/bucket

I think the turkey baster is what the 12" gold bulb is. Which you prefer might depend on where you are working; the hand dredge is larger and if carry in is a consideration, the turkey baster might be better. If there is a lot of material in the crevices, a hand dredge with a narrow attachment might be better. If you can, take them both and use whichever works better for the particular situation. Several have had plans here to build a hand dredge; Sideways Sherry, Mad Marshall, GoldGrabber, and here is a video of one by a teacher (Dan Hurd) in a Canadian high school. He does about 5-6 projects with his class that are on his series:

[

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A turkey baster works great if you handle it right. I know a guy who goes back to the same pothole in the bedrock of the S Platte River in central Denver several times a year. He gets about a gram of gold each time with hiss pan and turkey baster...all flood gold getting caught in the pothole during each big rain storm :)

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the turkey baster is what the 12" gold bulb is. Which you prefer might depend on where you are working; the hand dredge is larger and if carry in is a consideration, the turkey baster might be better. If there is a lot of material in the crevices, a hand dredge with a narrow attachment might be better. If you can, take them both and use whichever works better for the particular situation. Several have had plans here to build a hand dredge; Sideways Sherry, Mad Marshall, GoldGrabber, and here is a video of one by a teacher (Dan Hurd) in a Canadian high school. He does about 5-6 projects with his class that are on his series:

[

Love this guy... Great info on his youtube channel... Thanks for posting.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I wish I had a class like that when I was in highschool almost 50 years ago! I used to make these devices years back and give them to newbees I prospected with . they were similar to thiese except I used a 3/8 stainless steel threaded rod to attach the plunger and I used 4 butal rubber (homemade) washers that were separated by large 3/8 stainless steel flat washers. they always worked great even dry! these butal rubber gaskets were cut perfect using my gasket cutter OR using my circular gasket punch. my only problem with them is my arm got tired using it! BUT heck im old! ive also stopped drinking from 16 OZ beer cans and now am forced into using 12 OZers!:) Its heck to get old!:)

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like one of those things that pull snot out of a baby's nose. I think you could make one of your own.

an "aspirator" Looks like you could actually cut up one of those "snot suckers" to create one fairly easily. Might give it a try myself!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Womens deuche bulbs are bigger,built much better than turkey basters and last for many seasons. El cheapo DOES work just fine , get it on whilst there is still enough water-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread