It doesnt fit in the vial...what do I do with it?

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It doesn't fit in the vial...what do I do with it?

???
PART_1431408788636_IMG_20150511_222320.JPG

Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a terrible problem...... You just send that to me along with your vial and I'll get it all taken care of for ya.......:laughing7:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i can make it fit! send it to me, ill send the vial back plumb full, heck im close enough ill drive down there save u the shipping:thumbsup:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The same way they put ships in a bottle!

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell it at auction for 4X to 6X spot price, then buy gold coins & gold bars, silver bars, and lots of ammo!

Screw that vial! LOL

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Paint it to look like a rock. Hide it in the garden.Or the government will take it from you. And you live in Calif, bad news.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, woody the fellas have had their fun how about some backstory:notworthy:

OP
OP
AU_Solitude

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, woody the fellas have had their fun how about some backstory:notworthy:

So a little bit of a back-story as requested. I, like many of you, am only a weekend or what most people would call a hobbyist prospector, that said, I make use of my time doing research so I am well prepared long before I step foot in the field. I hadn't had much luck this year, or even late last year for that matter, walking away with little for my efforts. That said, I really do this just to get away from it all and be outdoors.

One of my younger brothers moved out here this spring and I introduced him to panning and we started hiking into some of the more remote areas that I hadn't frequented in a while. So obviously, as I am sure most of you can tell this is a Motherlode specimen, at this point I am hesitant to narrow it down any more than that as I am certain there could be more there...possibly larger?

We spent Saturday in the river sniping, I found this just before we were getting ready to call it a day. I had been working to expose bedrock near a large boulder, the boulder itself wasn't wanting to move even being under 3-4 feet of water but I had put pretty much my entire days work into freeing it up. It finally gave and with the buoyancy effect I was able to half roll the thing from the bedrock it had been sitting on.

The specimen was wedged under where the front squarish lip of the boulder would have been, a lot of heavies and some gravel had settled out as well, I didn't even notice it until I went under a second time and started fanning away at the gravels.

At first I dismissed it because these kind of things just aren't out there, I actually tossed it out of the way under water and decided it merited closer examination as it didn't make it very far with my toss before dropping to the bottom even with its relatively round shape and good underwater currents.

Bringing it out of the water I was shocked both by the weight and a better visual. I haven't been able to get a weight or estimate gold content yet as I only have a small scale that overloads at 1 lb, and my bathroom scale wont even register until around ten pounds of weight. My graduated cylinders aren't wide enough to accommodate the sample either so I am ordering a few things to test it. At this point I can say by palming it easily weighs somewhere between 3-5 lbs. It is roughly the size of a squashed or deformed baseball...obviously far from pure gold.

For now it is locked away for safekeeping. As much as it may be worth, I don't see myself parting with it for a while.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice specimen to say the least! Somehow I missed the part where you told us where you found it though.:laughing7:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
whats the weight, that looks like a 3/4 pounder

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let's see some more pics of it! The other side and stuff quite the speci!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Wow! Spectacular find - Congrats! :occasion16::occasion16: :wav::occasion16::occasion16:

If you still haven't weighed it, do this: weigh yourself on your bathroom scale, then weigh yourself again while holding the specimen; subtract, and you have a rough weight for the specimen.:icon_thumright: This is how I weigh my cats & it works fine, lol. (I weigh cats just to see how many anti-flea capsules they need). Hope you find more! Andi

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He found it in a California River that's all the info I would expect him to give....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions