Grindstones used at old gold mine

tribo

May 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In or around 1880- 1890 years my great grandfather operated a gold mine in central North Carolina. There is no remaining evidence of the mine as is was filled and paved over around 1965. What does remain are two grindstones that are about 6 feet in diameter and 18 or so inches thick. One appears to have laid flat and the other was vertical and rolled in a circle around the circumference of the flat stone.

My question is anyone familiar with this type of process? I am not sure what powered this assembly. I don't think I have ever seen stones like this anywhere else.

Are these more common than I think?

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What your describing sounds like a millstone.... Here is an Arrastra Arrastra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. They were used in the mainly out west and in Mexico for sure. I havn't heard of them used on the east coast. Normally there is a rock that drags, not a rolling stone like you describe. Maybe it was a flour mill that he used for crushing ore.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
YUP

Attachments

• Mine 003.JPG
    Mine 003.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Mine 005.JPG
    Mine 005.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
T

tribo

May 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks similar in concept. As as for the flour mill, these stones look like what you might see at a flour mill. only much larger. And as I understand it, gold was mined in quartz rich veins in this area. I am told the old mine was a vertical shaft about 100 feet deep. I know when the built the road over the shaft, a bulldozer collapsed the hole and had to be pulled out. Multiple loads of gravel then filled the hole.

lonetown

Greenie
Jul 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you are describing would be an oil mill where oil is pressed from the raw material. Such as linseed oil from flax. The runner would be rolled around the underlying stone. I have a picture of one from the Netherlands here: https://flic.kr/p/5jmijk

OP
OP
T

tribo

May 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mill Stone.jpg Mill Stone side view.jpg

Here is a photo. This is the stone that is normally vertical.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Coloma

Attachments

• 1431726011369.jpg
    1431726011369.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 82

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread