Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dancing in the moonlight…Everybody's feeling warm and bright...It's such a fine and natural sight…Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

Sometimes plans just… well… happen. It’s why you have to be prepared! Karen and I usually sit out weekends and holidays and give the local working masses access to “our“ spots. But by 5 pm Sunday evening Karen had had enuff of being cooped up and declared road trip. Since she called it, the destination was her choice. I was up for it, called shotgun and off we went to one of her favorite spots on the lower river.

As we got closer and with the sun setting behind the mountains, it dawned on me exactly where we were going. It was the same spot I had worked a crack a few weeks earlier but failed to reach bottom. At that time I realized it was time to add a sledge to my arsenal and THIS time I had it. A nice 5 pound head on a 12 inch handle.

It had rained hard since our last visit and all my previous work was filled with light sands. I removed all that first and went to work recovering all that remained. Side note: I have probably worked only about a dozen or so cracks to date and over half of them I have not gotten to the bottom of. It IS a learning experience for me and all but still very frustrating when it curves back into the bedrock or whatever tricks it uses. It’s like getting a tone on your MD but not able to find it…and then leave it.

So back to the crack. It came down like this /, flattened out, down again and a curve back to bedrock. Between me and my work was 12” of bedrock. 8” of fractured and 4” of solid. I scoped it out and went back to the truck for the pick and sledge. Karen asked me “what cha gonna do with that sledge?” I thought to myself…”Ummm, careful how you answer this one buddy. You’d rather have reps here from the FS and EPA than have Karen on your case. At least with them, it’s cite and done. Her brand of corrective action is a verbal warning…that could last for days or years, depending on the suspected grievance I perpetuated on “her” river.” :BangHead: So I carefully, fully explained and showed her what has I was doing. I pulled large pieces away by hand and promised I would leave very little trace and that by Spring, unnoticeable. She gave me a Marge Simpson growl, went back to the Explorer and turned up favorite CD.

By now, twilight is in full swing and a half full moon was due east of me. A pair of ducks upstream were quietly murmuring to them selves. The light breeze had stopped and the river was perfectly still. Small trout were sipping bugs off the surface which were soon joined by several bats. When I wasn’t watching everything around me, I was wearing eye protection and the sparks from the pick were big and bright. Breaking big things into small ones and outta the way worked great. BUT, there at the bottom of my crack, perfectly flush was a ½” bright red tree root. For THAT, I need a ½” chisel…which I am on my way to get right now along with several other sizes.

I got about a gallon or two of material before it got too dark. Saw many different layers and colors but the funniest one was in my last pan of the night and from my last scoop and test. I could not get a big flake to move in the pan but it turned out to be a new (to me) kind of blonde piece of clay. I knew then it was time to call on account of darkness.

I’m planning a trip this afternoon or tomorrow to my usual spot and intend to try something unusual there and bring back 5 gallons classified minimum. I’m keeping all the dirt separate, will run it and report back with the results for each. I’m not expecting much from the crack…I’ve never done better than flower and fines on the lower part of the river. Also looks like I will have a special guest star from TN coming to visit in a couple weeks. Stay tuned.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Moonlight mining rocks for sure! Great way to beat the heat!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nothin' like hittin' it in blackout conditions.

You know you're not serious enough if you haven't worked in the dark yet.

All the best, and I hope there's some good stuff in those concentrates,

Lanny

mshanygin

Dec 22, 2014
Everett WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There must be a suspense full sequel to this movie. Or maybe that comes in the 3rd part. We will see. I can't wait.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it looks like you're now qualified for membership in the California Midnight Miners Assoc. Things keep going the way they have been and every miner in the state will be joining.

Jan and I decided that you're bragging on that hammer bro. She also made some comment about "And this (....) is six inches, right? It is also plain to see that you're in the doghouse if Karen went to the truck and turned the music on. Jan and I will send flowers. Which hospital did you say you'd be in?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just tell her that it allows the bedrock to breathe so it doesn't start to decompose prematurely. Can't have the entire rock going bad now can we?

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There must be a suspense full sequel to this movie. Or maybe that comes in the 3rd part. We will see. I can't wait.

OK, you dragged it outta me. With Lanny and Georges help, I intend to find a cure for gold snobbery on my next trip. Here's a teaser on my strategy...

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry it took awhile to finish this up. Life only lets you have so much fun before it demands equal time.

The crack has yet to be finished but that root at the bottom is safe for now. I found what I expected but not what I wanted. The good news is I learned and prepared for the tougher but hopefully more productive solid bedrock in my usual area upstream. I still gotta see the bottom so it shall be done before season end.

The material I recovered was much like an Army camo color instead of the usual peanut butter style but still much like pudding. Ran about 1.5 gal of 1/8 classified through the sluice and found this...

010.jpg yech...and the clay balls made me run it twice even though I soaked it for days.

after the second run, I bushed some black sand out of the way and found these two in the second riffle...

011.jpg

Dumped the cons thru a 20 mesh and found em again (I know...still working on the tap method)

007.jpg

Also found this!!

012.jpg

Pretty attention getting but nope. It stuck in the pan just like the one I found before I quit digging that night. Buttery clay.

016.jpg End result (I'll clean up everything this winter)

So not much found but still a best ever for me on the lower river. Karen didn't bring up any rock abuse issues, no nuggets but didn't get skunked either. Seems I'm better at this than fishing. :laughing7: No drama or BS either but a true story none the less. :thumbsup: Maybe I need an all girl crew???

Hopefully tomorrow I can finish up the last 4.5 gallons from my latest trip to the upper river, I'll post it up. My strategy was "opposite day"..looking at theoretically good places that generally get walked on or around to get to the river.

I still hope to get out once or twice more on the upper river this week. Still focusing on easier but obviously untouched ground. That means good gold with easy access. Can you tell I love a challenge? Heavy pans to all.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Jeff... To bust up those clay balls, toss them into a bucket with water and then hit them with a heavy duty paint mixer for a 1/2" drill. AzViper turned me onto that trick for the Greaterville clay balls and it works great! Keep it to a half bucket to keep it from splattering all over Karen and the dog when you hit the drill trigger. Don't need to give either of them more reason to shoot you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread