Yes, I like gold...... but these are cool too.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're ever running excavated soil in the south east... educate yourself on the appearance of raw gems.
I constantly find many in peoples' tailings.
Over the years I have found hundreds, if not 1000's.
Here are just a few I've had cut.

The second one is a mixed color corundum (if it were solid blue, sapphire, solid red, ruby)
Looks like a nasty grey rock in your tailings.
From the web......
Corundum is best known for its gem varieties, Ruby and Sapphire. Ruby and Sapphire are scientifically the same mineral, but just differ in color. Ruby is the red variety, and Sapphire is the variety that encompasses all other colors, although the most popular and valued color of Sapphire is blue. Sapphire is also only used to describe the gem variety; otherwise it is simply called Corundum. - See more at: Corundum: The mineral Corundum, Sapphire, Ruby info & pictures

Doc

photo(11).JPG

photo(10).JPG

Upvote 0

mshanygin

Dec 22, 2014
Everett WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chance I could get a look at them in the raw? Before cut and polished... please and thank you. Mostly please.
Mike

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thats pretty cool and some good advice!

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being an old rock hound, I always look in my classifier and in my tailings. I have found some interesting specimans.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
We find all kinds of cool samples out here too Doc. Azurite is one of my favorites to have turn up. We also find turquoise, and malachite from time to time. Come to think of it, I found some adventurine (?) in that bag of cons I won in one of your giveaways as well as some nice pyrite crystals which I kept to teach/show people the difference between it and gold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's day last year, we were running the Monster Hog at GNG.

monster2.jpg

In the dirt pile of excavated material.........

indirt.jpg

In someone's tailings from the day before...

tailinggem.jpg

End of day..... think we ran about 30 - 40 yards.

endofday.jpg

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going through some of the king tut cons I got a couple years ago just to see if I left any gold in it. Sure enough, I did. But also came across a stone that I had never seen before and wondered what it was. After looking at your chart it looks to be a sapphire so I am going to toss it in the polisher and see what it comes out like.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Your rough stones are amazing, and the cut ones gorgeous! Having just enjoyed our gem & mineral club's annual show last weekend, it's a special treat to view all your photos showing where they come from and what the rough stones look like - Thanks! :icon_thumright: Andi

Scubaman2

Sep 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! Thanks for posting this I am a gold prospector but have been fascinated in gems and faceting since I was a kid. Wish we had some good spots to look near Vegas but don't know of any so far. As I get older I would really like learn how to facet gems and would love to find them myself. Thank You!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Thanks for posting this I am a gold prospector but have been fascinated in gems and faceting since I was a kid. Wish we had some good spots to look near Vegas but don't know of any so far. As I get older I would really like learn how to facet gems and would love to find them myself. Thank You!

There was an old Sargent (I was a lowly PFC then) that used to do faceting at the post craft shop when I was stationed in Korea back in the mid 70s. It was cool to watch but a very time consuming process.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Doc, where do you get the settings for your stones? These are awesome! Love the big, angular one!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, do not know shoot about gems and stones but i would dig all day, the rough colors are amazing. Thanks! :icon_thumright:

Scubaman2

Sep 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to live in Kingman. Do you have any suggestions on locations for gold or fire agate or whatever? If you would like to meet up sometime send a PM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread