western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some details............. we do not sell it, nor do I have a source off hand for cut pieces.
EXPANDED METAL-STANDARD HRS-4 LB.
(OPENING SIZE-.938 X 3.438)-(CTR TO CTR BOND-1.333 X 5.33)-
(STRAND SIZE-.WIDTH-297-.THICK.-215)--4X8 SHEET-WEIGHT PER 4X8 SHEET = 128 LBS.

The weight is the killer on this stuff.

A 4x8 foot sheet runs about $265 uncut.
Then you have cutting and shipping.

You can find a pic here: http://www.goldhog.com/yukon_mat.htm

If you need it.

Doc

OP
OP
spaghettigold

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ouch!with shipping i will end up in the $400 range .
I take a closer look around here again.
If i can,t find it ,maybe i can find a special offer of used pieces in the us.
Actually i need only a piece 32x24,like to flare out the end of my dredge with it- but thought of having spare parts for another built.
Thanks for the quick reply and the specs it will help me if i have to place a order.
Great appetizing vid with succulent gold Doc.

Regards,Emilio

Last edited:

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes on the 6" we run 4 pound on the top 50% over Yukon Mat.
Just because we don't run flare entry into the main box and water is deep and violent.
Then the lower half is Talon and Riverhog once it calms down.
Our water is about 3" deep and screaming.
Funny... seldom see gold past the expanded and Yukon and when we do it's a small amount of 50 - 100 mesh stuff.
Works really well.
We also have it installed in several commercial ops and they love it.
As long as they can "grasp" the tuning of it, it works extremely well.
Doc

OP
OP
spaghettigold

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the looks it seems to be an agressive expanded,reaches a bit higher in to the water column than other expandeds,which (i hope )should help take the material out of the deeper waterflow that may occur in dredges.One may say that we can use riffles for that purpose but i have already a open riffle section and just want to add another different catching device to cover all possibilities.
I run a gravity dredge and when you have no motor,the tuning becomes more difficult because you have no throttle.
I often have to work with minimum drop because the river i work runs pretty flat.In this cases i run the dredge with flatter pitch and and less waterforce.
This can lead the fines under-section to material build up because i can,t get enough velocity under the wire mesh-expanded.I can see the bright sands thru the screens then,cleaning out waaay to slow.When placing my hand on top of the screens while running,it re-starts to exchange in the undersection because my hand diverts the faster water above the screen in to the under section.
I may add a cross bar on top of the beginning of the undersection screen ,to force some faster water in there .
At the end of my dredge the water is faster and deeper since there no screens braking.The idea ,as seen on other dredges ,is to widen out to lower the water column and help the expanded to get a grasp on the gold that may be escaped the under section because it cleans out to slowly.If possible without having rocks stopping there.

Didn,t you begin a 8 inch built some time ago?
If its finished be sure to post some vids.
Here,s a vid i already posted in my gravity thread,i want to put the flared section where the formwork panels begin.

In this setup i estimate we had 2 to3 inch deep water.How high is the 4lb exp.and what water depht (on top of the expanded)would you recommend for the 4 pound exp,.

Emilio

Last edited:

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ouch!with shipping i will end up in the $400 range .
I take a closer look around here again.
If i can,t find it ,maybe i can find a special offer of used pieces in the us.
Actually i need only a piece 32x24,like to flare out the end of my dredge with it- but thought of having spare parts for another built.
Thanks for the quick reply and the specs it will help me if i have to place a order.
Great appetizing vid with succulent gold Doc.

Regards,Emilio

Maybe you could go in on a group buy with some other local prospectors?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody in your area uses it. You may need to start canvasing industrial supply houses and equipment manufacturers. Someone is using it for catwalks or grating. Maybe you can get lucky and pick up some scrap big enough to use. If you have any scrap iron yards there, go to them occasionally.

OP
OP
spaghettigold

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody in your area uses it. You may need to start canvasing industrial supply houses and equipment manufacturers. Someone is using it for catwalks or grating. Maybe you can get lucky and pick up some scrap big enough to use. If you have any scrap iron yards there, go to them occasionally.

thanks for the advice J.in E
I,ve looked at c.a 12 manufacturers so far(german,swiss,italian).
The expanded metals are vastly used here,like you mention for catwalks ,architecture etc.
It,s just that they all use other types of expanded.
I keep lookin:icon_thumright:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Thanks russ.
For more space and comfort we should build one of these. :occasion14:

yep that would work for me! do you think anyone would notice it on the River??:) maybe some camo paint?? I guess I could contact the companys that own the sand & gravel claims and tell them id suck up their sand for them and give it to them for free.:):)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you seen what large river cobble sells for? If the transport wasn't so expensive Id forgo gold mining and just haul home river rock. OK, maybe I'd still run the undersize over a sluice....

OP
OP
spaghettigold

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep that would work for me! do you think anyone would notice it on the River??:) maybe some camo paint?? I guess I could contact the companys that own the sand & gravel claims and tell them id suck up their sand for them and give it to them for free.:):)

HA!CAMO PAINT! :laughing9:

Thats in Mali russ,guess it,s still possible there to dredge without camo. Its a italian operation with a mix of known us (MSI) and italian equipment.The uploader ,Mr.Giuseppe Abramia seems to be the Boss and has uploaded some other interesting vids.But its all in italian .In the first vid i saw they unloaded and assembled a 8inch keene dredge and started prospecting.But later they said that the 8 inch is only for sampling.Now they have this monster.I did not understand all the gear that they have.They talk about a device they call "the syringe" Maybe a giant blaster nozzle.:dontknow:..enyway.. there,s shure place for a fridge with some cool beers:occasion14:

OP
OP
spaghettigold

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you seen what large river cobble sells for? If the transport wasn't so expensive Id forgo gold mining and just haul home river rock. OK, maybe I'd still run the undersize over a sluice....

Ouf course it,s strictly forbidden to take just one rock at home because the rocks here are domanial property...:dontknow:
I,ve read in your post in the dredging forum that you use the 4lb expanded and have problems because it cloggs with fine gravel.Maybe this expanded needs moore pitch,less but not too slow water.Doc runs it at almost 3 inches per foot which is asking much from a eductor flare dredge .Fits moore to a highbanker or to the stationary pro washplants( where it,s used mainly)
Enybody knows at what angles they run it in the pro,s washplants?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the 4# may need a much steeper angle and that may be too much angle for the small expanded and v-mat in the bottom. May be best for highbanker/washplant and not dredging. I don't know what angles the professional wash plants run but I can tell just by looking that it's WAY steeper than what I can run!

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pitch on the 4# in commercial ops depends on a few things.
Mainly what is running under it but also water DEPTH has some impact as well.
If it's moss under it, then it's run with less pitch.
If it's a deep mat, like our Yukon the pitch goes up steeper due to dual zones in the matting.
If they're running in an area with high slurry viscosity and fine gold... then they need to ditch the expanded.
The thick slurry will scour out any fines. (Gold Rush season in the jungle issue)
This plant had 60% - 70% losses with 4# expanded and moss and did some of the BEST... well documented testing I've seen in years.
ghsluiceconv.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a serious vendor. He did a custom bend for my dredge sluice box and much of the internal parts. I don't know if he will do international shipping, but I would recommend emailing him and asking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions