Water Flow on the NFAR 26 Oct 2015 any pictures??

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
183_8326.JPG
Hi Folks,
I just checked the USGS water flow data for the NFAR with it indicating it is at ~ 32 cfs.

I was wondering if anyone would happen to have a picture or two of what the river, err creek, looks like right now at say: Green Valley, Euchre Bar, Mumford Bar, Beacroft or Sailor Flat or even the pool on the NFAR upriver of where Wabena Creek comes in??

Also, what are the temperatures like in that area?

Thank you for indulging me.......................63bkpkr

Upvote 0

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have a photo to share buy was on the north fork two weekends ago near mineral bar and it was very low. Was able to walk in areas that I haven't before and work others just the same. It was perfect weather, did rain a little one day but was in the 70's with no wind so didn't really bother us much. The next day was perfect temp and no rain.

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll post a few from last weekend in the morning. It's disgustingly slow...I dove a few pools, algae is finally starting to die off - a little cold, light headed after swimming for thirty.

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
vywoxj.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0045.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry...that should fix it...for some reason uploading the image to the forum isn't working for me.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2003 Nfar Herb & Justin 17.JPG 185_8515.JPG

The phases of the NFAR, shown here in summer conditions, and what can be found "out there" are quite something to deal with. I will suggest that the CFS pictured above is ~ 125 with very little algae growing in the 57 degree water. Spring conditions, Feb through late July in some years, are flat out dangerous with very high to heavy water flow of some very cold making it dangerous water. But then it is such a beautiful place and the gold all along the river can be nice. That is a touch less than 1/4 oz. piled on a 50 cent piece and I did enjoy the adventure of finding it. I filled in my trench with boulders making it a perfect repository for gold after a couple of spring runoffs in the 30,000 cfs range relocate some of the yellow metal.

184_8444.JPG The bottom of the trench is maybe 5' under my bottom........................63bkpkr

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1228743 View attachment 1228744

The phases of the NFAR, shown here in summer conditions, and what can be found "out there" are quite something to deal with. I will suggest that the CFS pictured above is ~ 125 with very little algae growing in the 57 degree water. Spring conditions, Feb through late July in some years, are flat out dangerous with very high to heavy water flow of some very cold making it dangerous water. But then it is such a beautiful place and the gold all along the river can be nice. That is a touch less than 1/4 oz. piled on a 50 cent piece and I did enjoy the adventure of finding it. I filled in my trench with boulders making it a perfect repository for gold after a couple of spring runoffs in the 30,000 cfs range relocate some of the yellow metal.

View attachment 1228750 The bottom of the trench is maybe 5' under my bottom........................63bkpkr

Did you get that this year? That is nice.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Woody that gold was part of my 2011 efforts. The gold on the coin with the gold color as a surround is a favorite of mine,
actually all of my pictures are favorites of mine!..................63bkpkr

169_6953.JPG 187_8791.JPG 2003 Nfar Herb & Justin 14.JPG a028_28.jpg 170_7059.JPG

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wonderful! I tried to hit NFAR today, too much rain, water is getting nice and cold. No more diving till next spring.

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Wonderful! I tried to hit NFAR today, too much rain, water is getting nice and cold. No more diving till next spring.

It sure as hell is too cold! I went to yankee jims on halloween and only made a few dives, didn't find one speck of gold sampling so after about 30-45 mins in the water and a headache from the cold- I just started doing some crevicing out of the water. I think it wouldn't have been too bad with a hood, boots, and gloves but the water feels significantly colder than it did a month ago. Although the low water is tempting, i probably won't be jumping back in until spring comes. My first year sniping, and the NFAR was great training grounds. I had my best season to date (i actually found more gold last season, but about 8 grams of that was found on a buddies claim working a high-banker). But as far as just me poking around- best season! I look forward to researching and testing some ravines that I've had my eye on during the winter months....looking for that BIG GOLD!

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOHR,
Yes I would think the water on the NFAR is significantly colder about now and I've had one of those cold water headaches, not fun. It is much more fun when the water is warmer.

PICT0011.JPG Circa 1972 first raft trip down the NFAR with 11 AM water temps of 72[SUP]o[/SUP].......................63bkpkr
I'm the one hopping back into the raft. The following year and every rafting trip after that I wore a hockey helmet. The picture is somewhere between Green Valley and Pickering Bar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread