Hookah regulator (seeking definative answer)

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hookah regulator for T80 (seeking definative answer)

So i finally got myself a dredge. An upgraded 2.5 inch keene with 5hp motor and a t80. It came with everything except a regulator and harness.
I see absolutely no reason to pay $300-$900 for a regulator. So I started looking on ebay. I see second stage regulators on ebay as low as $12 New.
However most of the regulators for sale do not list the low/minimum pressure required only the max psi (usually 145psi).

I have seen people state that any second stage regulator will work. I hesitate to believe that blanket statement. I am looking for a definitive answer on the subject. I have searched and failed to find one. How can I be certain that a regulator will function as required with the standard T-80 pump?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So i finally got myself a dredge. An upgraded 2.5 inch keene with 5hp motor and a t80. It came with everything except a regulator and harness.
I see absolutely no reason to pay $300-$900 for a regulator. So I started looking on ebay. I see second stage regulators on ebay as low as $12 New.
However most of the regulators for sale do not list the low/minimum pressure required only the max psi (usually 145psi).

I have seen people state that any second stage regulator will work. I hesitate to believe that blanket statement. I am looking for a definitive answer on the subject. I have searched and failed to find one. How can I be certain that a regulator will function as required with the standard T-80 pump?

Found this and you may already too...https://keeneeng.com/pamphlets/introHooka.html. May answer part of your question. More info here...https://www.google.com/webhp?source...F-8#q=hookah regulator on demand requirements

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net!!!!

Welcome to the world of hookah, it won't be the same. FYI consider yourself warned that you probably won't have that 2.5" dredge very long......you are going to want more very soon!

That said, any good dive shop can "de Tune " them for you. You can do it yourself but it's also nice to have someone show the first time. If you list where you are at someone here might know of a shop that is good to go for you

ratled

PS if you buy from the local guy he might de tune it for free if you let them know first

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can not de-tune a scuba reg to function adequately with a hookah compressor. Scuba needs 100+ to function correctly, hookah only supplies about 40psi. Can you still breath with a completely de-tuned scuba reg? Yes, but you are going to be actively working to get each breath. The valve springs are different between the two. For what you will pay a shop to get new springs and install, inspect a used reg, you are better off just buying a factory made hookah reg.

You don't need to spend $300 for a reg. Call Keene, I think they sell the regulator by itsself for about $125. But so you have reg hose? You need at least 20ft, and it needs to have the proper ends on it to connect to the scuba regulator. You also really need to have a reservoir tank between the compressor and the reg.

here is a hookah reg for $90 http://www.leisurepro.com/p-xsshssr/xs-scuba-hookah-second-stage-regulator

Last edited:

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
take a look at this I picked up 2 of the oc 500 have talked to some one else that uses one and he said they are good for hockah they are a (AFC) Auto Flow Control no adjustments the oc 450 you can adjust

items in store on eBay!

Bill

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I've used both 2nd stages and actual Hooka Regulators for decades. Both work but the adjustable air valve on the Keene is my favorite but... I went to their site and all of the pics are gone and the page looks barren for the most part. For me, after using many others over the years, now I would buy the adjustable and nothing else. Having to suck air in from a low pressure T80 is bad enough by itself, so get the adjustable and breathe easy. All of the regulators in these pics are mine. I always have had 6 regulators. The one that I am using in the pics is an old antique scuba pro from the 60's. It was tough to breathe through but it got the job done. I would take them in to a scuba shop every few years and have them refitted with seals, springs and adjusted for my system. We had all 6 under in the photo shoot, 4 of the moderators, a camera man, and my son. This shows what a Gast compressor will do over a T80 that will only work for 2 divers when new. When the family got together I had enough for all of the kids to swim with. If you have a kid that can't swim or even an adult that is scared of the water, put a regulator and a face mask on them and they will be swimming on their own within the hour.

Photo0.jpg FH000022.JPG Photo02.jpg

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One day My teacher pointed at me with his ruler and said: At the end of this ruled is a idiot! I got detention after asking which end. Now that's funny, don't care who you r, depicts our justice system as well, OOOps

when it comes to air and motors and your life, a few extra pennies
get a couple of rebuilt kits for the t-80 if you plan to use and keep for awhile

i am sure u will be shallow with your 2 1/2, butlike Rat said, you most likely will graduate to a larger setup dredging, and begain to go a bit deeper

yeah, like reed said, ( funny great pics)get a new low pressure regulator, a large reserve tank, and if you go big and deeper a small divers backup air reserve nuttin like bein underwater with the nozzle set off to the side and movin rock only to have the motor shut down and you begin to suck air for real, that suction nozzle is a life saver when it stops suckin you will automatically
go top side to see what is happening leaving you with plenty of air, but you never know

and have more then one regulator, i have two like these and three other's that don't have the adjustment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Explorer-Sc...ulator-Octo-/390259806350?hash=item5add4c108e

as always good advice from experinced small miners we few divers/dredgers

Last edited:

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skip the reserve tank.... it's fun to watch divers POP UP panicking from no air. :)
"Oh... he'll be up soon, the engine on the air pump just ran out of gas."
The reserve tank also helps cool the air and remove moisture as well.
Drain it often like every day.

Shoot me a PM... I might have one you can have for free.
I have a box of them used if I can find them. Then you can try one out.
We buy cheap ones as the crews never take of them and we don't dive deep.
So if they fail... it's just that few seconds of a diver being pissed off.
Not a trip to the hospital.
Try AMAZON too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...orting&field-keywords=Second+Stage+Regulator+

Doc

Last edited:

rebel003

Feb 17, 2011
Winston, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't go cheap on the main item you use underwater to stay alive. If you buy used have it checked out by a pro. get a air delivery rated hose and reserve tank. anything that has been used with shop air in the past can have oil contaminants and is very bad for your lungs. If your not a certified diver you may want to take some lessons there not that expensive and are very worth it. Good Luck!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First, always keep in mind that you are making a home made device that will provide life support in an hostile alien environment that is 100% fatal to you if it fails.

That said... a SCUBA regulator or second stage will work on a Hooka pump but not very well. The internal passages are too small to allow enough air flow and you will have a lot of breathing effort which tires you quickly. There are a lot of hookah regulators on ebay but most are designed for higher pressure, shop wisely and you can find a low pressure one for around $75.

Or... you can tweak a SCUBA regulator to run on a hooka pump. To begin you should be handy with a drill press and confident in being able to do fairly precision work. Take a (cheap and easy to find) SCUBA regulator and start taking it apart. Be sure you not only pay attention to how it was assembled but fully understand how it works. Next, follow the path of air and carefully drill out all passages, including the hose fittings to allow greater airflow at lower pressure. Deburr and clean thoroughly and reassemble. It should work just fine, time to tune and test. There is a tiny adjustment nut somewhere inside, adjust it to allow for easy inhalation effort but no free flowing. To test you must use the regulator while underwater. you can do this in the garage with a 5 gallon bucket just make sure no one is nearby with a camera.
When in doubt please refer back to my first statement.

Oh yeah....dont waste your time taking a SCUBA reg to a dive shop and ask them to rape it for you, they will not. Unless you live in gold country, the dive shop may think bong when you say hooka and just stare at you

Last edited:

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL

I can see it now a trip to ER for two! Bonaro to have bucket removed form his head and his wife from laughing so hard she fell a hit her head wile trying to call 911.

just kidding but I have seen some strange things

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An important question that I don't think has been asked....
How DEEP will you be diving.

polekaat

Jan 5, 2006
Ramah, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II
Technetics G2+
5" keene dredge
2 1/2" keene highbanker/dredge combo
Keene A-52 sluice
4 Stack Deluxe Gold Cube
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got shafted on a dredge deal that was supposed to have "everything". It showed up without regulators or even the pins to assemble the dredge. Anyway, I bought 2 used scuba regulators off of craigslist. My buddy, a military diver, went with me to Ace Hardware, where we found a spring exactly the same size but lighter. I bought 2 each of several different stiffness. About an hour of tinkering and I had working low pressure regulators. I have since purchased a Neptune 2 full face mask/regulator, but the original two regulators are still working fine after 5 years.

OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, thank you all for the replies and information. Seams you have mostly reinforced all the stuff I was suspecting by contemplating the issue.
granted no one said "just clip a little off the spring" but replacing it is pretty close.

I don't plan on doing any real deep diving most of my spots are less than 4 feet deep with few exceptions. Almost snorkel material, but anyone who has snorkeled in a creek or river knows that occasionally turns you into a fish. Breathing water is a rather uncomfortable feeling.

The dredge came with air lines and an old plastic reserve tank, probably of yellow pontoon era. It also has a short length of new looking black tube that is threaded for the mouth piece, just no regulator.

As for bigger dredges, well I can see that would be handy for working in big rivers. However even the 2.5 is gonna be allot of work to get into my good spots in big deep brushy canyons, maybe if I had a jet ski I could drag a big dredge up in there from the bottom. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The creek I am most interested in runs on average 2-4 feet with a couple of 6-8 foot holes. Sure there are a couple of deep slots and holes, but those are not areas I intended to work anyway.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That cant be me, Rattled...I am potty trained. Well, sometime I fall down and pee my pants (Tequila's fault) but I don't wear diapers :occasion14:

Rattled was thinking ahead a few years to when you'll be back in diapers I'm sure :evil6:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL

I can see it now a trip to ER for two! Bonaro to have bucket removed form his head and his wife from laughing so hard she fell a hit her head wile trying to call 911.

just kidding but I have seen some strange things

I once ran 150 of airline into the house from the garage and had my head in the kitchen sink when she walked in on me. I looked at her through my full face and she never said a word. I think she's use to it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread